Must have Mosin Nagant upgrades?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Must have Mosin Nagant upgrades?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 02:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 366 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default Must have Mosin Nagant upgrades?

Hey folks. As the Holidays are approaching (seasons greetings to all, enjoy), I want to add some stuff to treat myself with. I have a stock 1943 Mosin in pretty good condition (wood furniture on it is "ok" dinged up at the hand guard section but still nice for what I got it for. I haven't done anything to the gun as far as modding it. Was looking for some recommendations. My use is going to be a SHTF main weapon for LONG range combat (shotgun for CQB (of course all these defense scenarios. Any trigger jobs worthy enough to look into? Thanks

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-18-2013, 02:56 AM   #2

Liked 177 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Cosmoline eradication would be all I can think of.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:16 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1890 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 704

Go to an auto parts store, get some cork/rubber gasket material ($5). Take the stock off, bed it with the gasket material. Gasket material does a better job than a wine cork any day. I tried to shim the barrel on my 91/30 with a wine cork. The wine cork helped but the gun was not shooting well enough for hunting. Then I saw the accuracy kits that smith sights sells. I ordered a Kit from smith sights but he didn't like my money, he never shipped my kit. After a little research I went to my local NAPA auto parts in 10 minutes and $5 later I had everything I needed to make my own kit.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-18-2013, 04:01 AM   #4

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Go to an auto parts store, get some cork/rubber gasket material ($5). Take the stock off, bed it with the gasket material. Gasket material does a better job than a wine cork any day. I tried to shim the barrel on my 91/30 with a wine cork. The wine cork helped but the gun was not shooting well enough for hunting. Then I saw the accuracy kits that smith sights sells. I ordered a Kit from smith sights but he didn't like my money, he never shipped my kit. After a little research I went to my local NAPA auto parts in 10 minutes and $5 later I had everything I needed to make my own kit.

Do you have some sort of pictures of this or something you could share? Sounds interesting
Old 12-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #5

Liked 2304 Times on 1353 Posts
Likes Given: 508

It's a Mosin Nagant from 1943. It already saw the S HTF at least once before. Not too many long range scenarios that are very realistic but for giggles you could look at some non-permanent mods, like a Brass Stacker scope mount and a long eye relief scope. Timney (edit: my phone auto corrected Timney to Romney) does make a trigger, but it requires stock alteration.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 12-18-2013 at 01:53 PM.
MoHawk Likes This 
Old 12-18-2013, 04:55 AM   #6

Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

As for trigger upgrades, this one did a great job Maine my trigger better...especially for the price. YouTube link is how to install amazon link is where to buy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008QBME7M/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1387346097&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40

http://youtu.be/rw_Nxbi1fpI

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Old 12-18-2013, 05:45 AM   #7

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Id invest in a timney trigger. Maybe some sort of new iron sights. Like said the rifle is tough enough to take a stroll through hell so its pretty much set.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 12-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #8

Liked 2049 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Some are decent shooters some are not. It depends on the bore the crown and the shooter more than anything else.

As has been mentioned in other threads here, this rifle was designed to shoot long distances, however, not with great accuracy. Most of the sniping that was done with these rifles was under 200 yards. having said that, if I were going to modernize a Mosin Nagant I would start with a synthetic stock, which would have a much better bedding effect than the wood. I think that is the one single thing that would improve your accuracy, assuming that the bore is in good condition along with the rifling in the barrel.

I don't much care for the scope setups I have seen for Mosins. Eye relief is a big deal. What distances are you expecting to get with this rifle? No matter what you do, it will not shoot out past 200 yards as well as just about any modern rifle. If that is your expectation IMHO you are going to spend a lot of money and not be satisfied

Let us know how it turns out! I love my Mosins but if I want long range accuracy I grab my Rem 700 in 30-06

forumrunner_20131218_072306.jpg

Old 12-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #9

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Forget the mods and buy a pile of spam cans. Then practice with your rifle.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #10

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
Forget the mods and buy a pile of spam cans. Then practice with your rifle.
First off, SPAM is delicious. So, I assume you mean Buy a pile of SPAM, EAT IT, then shoot at the cans.

Second. I don't have one... yet. However, I really like the Archangel Stock kit. Bolt on/plug-and-play. LOL. No permanent modifications necessary. And a good scope.

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com