Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Must have Mosin Nagant upgrades? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/must-have-mosin-nagant-upgrades-101710/)

molonlabexx 12-18-2013 02:39 AM

Must have Mosin Nagant upgrades?

Hey folks. As the Holidays are approaching (seasons greetings to all, enjoy), I want to add some stuff to treat myself with. I have a stock 1943 Mosin in pretty good condition (wood furniture on it is "ok" dinged up at the hand guard section but still nice for what I got it for. I haven't done anything to the gun as far as modding it. Was looking for some recommendations. My use is going to be a SHTF main weapon for LONG range combat (shotgun for CQB (of course all these defense scenarios. Any trigger jobs worthy enough to look into? Thanks

NotMormon 12-18-2013 02:56 AM

Cosmoline eradication would be all I can think of.

John_Deer 12-18-2013 03:16 AM

Go to an auto parts store, get some cork/rubber gasket material ($5). Take the stock off, bed it with the gasket material. Gasket material does a better job than a wine cork any day. I tried to shim the barrel on my 91/30 with a wine cork. The wine cork helped but the gun was not shooting well enough for hunting. Then I saw the accuracy kits that smith sights sells. I ordered a Kit from smith sights but he didn't like my money, he never shipped my kit. After a little research I went to my local NAPA auto parts in 10 minutes and $5 later I had everything I needed to make my own kit.

Hectocotylus 12-18-2013 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1461550)
Go to an auto parts store, get some cork/rubber gasket material ($5). Take the stock off, bed it with the gasket material. Gasket material does a better job than a wine cork any day. I tried to shim the barrel on my 91/30 with a wine cork. The wine cork helped but the gun was not shooting well enough for hunting. Then I saw the accuracy kits that smith sights sells. I ordered a Kit from smith sights but he didn't like my money, he never shipped my kit. After a little research I went to my local NAPA auto parts in 10 minutes and $5 later I had everything I needed to make my own kit.

Do you have some sort of pictures of this or something you could share? Sounds interesting

SSGN_Doc 12-18-2013 04:42 AM

It's a Mosin Nagant from 1943. It already saw the S HTF at least once before. Not too many long range scenarios that are very realistic but for giggles you could look at some non-permanent mods, like a Brass Stacker scope mount and a long eye relief scope. Timney (edit: my phone auto corrected Timney to Romney) does make a trigger, but it requires stock alteration.

longunner 12-18-2013 04:55 AM

As for trigger upgrades, this one did a great job Maine my trigger better...especially for the price. YouTube link is how to install amazon link is where to buy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008QBME7M/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1387346097&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40

http://youtu.be/rw_Nxbi1fpI

unclebear 12-18-2013 05:45 AM

Id invest in a timney trigger. Maybe some sort of new iron sights. Like said the rifle is tough enough to take a stroll through hell so its pretty much set.

chloeshooter 12-18-2013 12:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some are decent shooters some are not. It depends on the bore the crown and the shooter more than anything else.

As has been mentioned in other threads here, this rifle was designed to shoot long distances, however, not with great accuracy. Most of the sniping that was done with these rifles was under 200 yards. having said that, if I were going to modernize a Mosin Nagant I would start with a synthetic stock, which would have a much better bedding effect than the wood. I think that is the one single thing that would improve your accuracy, assuming that the bore is in good condition along with the rifling in the barrel.

I don't much care for the scope setups I have seen for Mosins. Eye relief is a big deal. What distances are you expecting to get with this rifle? No matter what you do, it will not shoot out past 200 yards as well as just about any modern rifle. If that is your expectation IMHO you are going to spend a lot of money and not be satisfied

Let us know how it turns out! I love my Mosins but if I want long range accuracy I grab my Rem 700 in 30-06

Attachment 129753

nchunt101 12-18-2013 12:47 PM

Forget the mods and buy a pile of spam cans. Then practice with your rifle.

MoHawk 12-18-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nchunt101 (Post 1461705)
Forget the mods and buy a pile of spam cans. Then practice with your rifle.

First off, SPAM is delicious. So, I assume you mean Buy a pile of SPAM, EAT IT, then shoot at the cans.

Second. I don't have one... yet. However, I really like the Archangel Stock kit. Bolt on/plug-and-play. LOL. No permanent modifications necessary. And a good scope.