Moving to alaska, bear defense suggestions - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Moving to alaska, bear defense suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Bears are good size but a moose is huge. I have seen 180/200 gr 30/06 bullets go through a moose. A 30/06 isn't the best bear rifle but it is 10x better than any pistol, even the X frame loads. A bear can run 35 mph for a short distance. If you are between a sow and her cubs the 30/06 in your hand is far better than anything else at that moment. It's not like a movie were the bear rears up and growls at you. She is going to come at you like a linebacker.
JTJ Likes This 
Old 01-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #22

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Bears are good size but a moose is huge. I have seen 180/200 gr 30/06 bullets go through a moose. A 30/06 isn't the best bear rifle but it is 10x better than any pistol, even the X frame loads. A bear can run 35 mph for a short distance. If you are between a sow and her cubs the 30/06 in your hand is far better than anything else at that moment. It's not like a movie were the bear rears up and growls at you. She is going to come at you like a linebacker.
And that is another reason why I am less inclined towards the pistols, i guess like with anything else its going to be a trade off of weight vs power. Ideally I would like to do both, a shotgun or rifle AND a pistol in .44 or bigger. That way I can choose best based off of the threat level as well as having a back up weapon should one fail or be out of reach in a pinch. I've been on three combat deployments and know it will get somewhat annoying having to lug a rifle with you if you need to go number 2 in the middle of the night.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #23

Just another thought, I have several AR type rifles, they're all 5.56, but would something like .458 .450 or .50 be effective?

Old 01-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #24

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B3OJ3 View Post
And that is another reason why I am less inclined towards the pistols, i guess like with anything else its going to be a trade off of weight vs power. Ideally I would like to do both, a shotgun or rifle AND a pistol in .44 or bigger. That way I can choose best based off of the threat level as well as having a back up weapon should one fail or be out of reach in a pinch. I've been on three combat deployments and know it will get somewhat annoying having to lug a rifle with you if you need to go number 2 in the middle of the night.
Asses the threat level? You are joking? Right? If the bear is 25 yards away, you have about a second to asses the threat level, select a weapon and save your ass. This is a wild animal that wants to rip your head off not a video game.

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-12-2014 at 10:01 PM.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:08 PM   #25

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Asses the threat level? You are joking? Right? If they bear is 25 yards away, you have about a second to asses the threat level, select a weapon and save your ass. This is a wild animal that wants to rip your head off not a video game.
Yeah, if a bear decides to charge you, you should just react. There is no time to asses. I don't live in bear country, but I live near the mountains and I do go into bear country. I thought about this a lot. I already have a Model 29 .44 Mag but I decided to get a Glock 20 instead. It's a little less powerful, but you have a lot more rounds and is easier to reload if you actually have the opportunity or need. Still, I'm taking a 12 gauge with slugs.

One of the best things you can do though is make noise though. Bears are likely to avoid you if they hear you coming. The problem is when you surprise them and now they feel cornered.

So my suggestions are to don't be quiet, carry a 10mm, but still have a shotgun with slugs.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-12-2014, 10:17 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Pretty much every story I've read of where someone used a handgun on a bear for defense was either severely mauled or killed. Caliber is really irrelevant a handgun is not good on bears.

I would suggest visiting a zoo that has a griz or two and check one out irl.... they are no joke for real badass eat your face critters.

Last fall like every fall I was in new hampshire bbqing for our employee picnic several hundred pounds of brisket and chicken. I always take a rifle. My dad makes fun of me for worrying about bears. This past fall about 3am there was a bear trying to get into the pit. I had my 45-70 loaded up pointing at the bear yelled at it and fortunately had enough singing its paws and took off.

Seeing one in real life with no bars in front is an eye opener and my dad stopped ribbing me about carrying a rifle to check the fires...

I can't imagine going anywhere in bear country with just a handgun.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
JTJ Likes This 
Old 01-12-2014, 11:18 PM   #27

Quote:

Asses the threat level? You are joking? Right? If the bear is 25 yards away, you have about a second to asses the threat level, select a weapon and save your ass. This is a wild animal that wants to rip your head off not a video game.
No s#!t . I meant like if im going out during a time of day or year when bears aren't as active, or to a place that bear sightings are less frequent, I probably won't load up the same way I would in the spring when Im heading out salmon fishing.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-12-2014, 11:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Pretty much every story I've read of where someone used a handgun on a bear for defense was either severely mauled or killed. Caliber is really irrelevant a handgun is not good on bears.

I would suggest visiting a zoo that has a griz or two and check one out irl.... they are no joke for real badass eat your face critters.

Last fall like every fall I was in new hampshire bbqing for our employee picnic several hundred pounds of brisket and chicken. I always take a rifle. My dad makes fun of me for worrying about bears. This past fall about 3am there was a bear trying to get into the pit. I had my 45-70 loaded up pointing at the bear yelled at it and fortunately had enough singing its paws and took off.

Seeing one in real life with no bars in front is an eye opener and my dad stopped ribbing me about carrying a rifle to check the fires...

I can't imagine going anywhere in bear country with just a handgun.
When I was young I used to spend summers at some family property in Montana outside a very small town named Ennis, while trout fishing with my uncle from a boat we saw a big a$$ brown bear walking around the lake. Huge. Only bear I've ever seen in my life in the wild, between that and seeing how big their prints and piles of carp were it still scares me.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:46 PM   #29

Liked 576 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon
One of the best things you can do though is make noise though. Bears are likely to avoid you if they hear you coming. The problem is when you surprise them and now they feel cornered.
Making noise is good.

But after a good day of fishing and you're cooking Salmon on a grill - they may want their share.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!
People Like This 
Old 01-12-2014, 11:48 PM   #30
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
Making noise is good.

But after a good day of fishing and you're cooking Salmon on a grill - they may want their share.
bears do like their fish!
wittmeba Likes This