Moving to alaska, bear defense suggestions - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Moving to alaska, bear defense suggestions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,624
Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

Bears are good size but a moose is huge. I have seen 180/200 gr 30/06 bullets go through a moose. A 30/06 isn't the best bear rifle but it is 10x better than any pistol, even the X frame loads. A bear can run 35 mph for a short distance. If you are between a sow and her cubs the 30/06 in your hand is far better than anything else at that moment. It's not like a movie were the bear rears up and growls at you. She is going to come at you like a linebacker.
John_Deer is offline  
JTJ Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
11B3OJ3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 79
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Bears are good size but a moose is huge. I have seen 180/200 gr 30/06 bullets go through a moose. A 30/06 isn't the best bear rifle but it is 10x better than any pistol, even the X frame loads. A bear can run 35 mph for a short distance. If you are between a sow and her cubs the 30/06 in your hand is far better than anything else at that moment. It's not like a movie were the bear rears up and growls at you. She is going to come at you like a linebacker.
And that is another reason why I am less inclined towards the pistols, i guess like with anything else its going to be a trade off of weight vs power. Ideally I would like to do both, a shotgun or rifle AND a pistol in .44 or bigger. That way I can choose best based off of the threat level as well as having a back up weapon should one fail or be out of reach in a pinch. I've been on three combat deployments and know it will get somewhat annoying having to lug a rifle with you if you need to go number 2 in the middle of the night.
11B3OJ3 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
11B3OJ3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 79
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Just another thought, I have several AR type rifles, they're all 5.56, but would something like .458 .450 or .50 be effective?
11B3OJ3 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,624
Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B3OJ3 View Post
And that is another reason why I am less inclined towards the pistols, i guess like with anything else its going to be a trade off of weight vs power. Ideally I would like to do both, a shotgun or rifle AND a pistol in .44 or bigger. That way I can choose best based off of the threat level as well as having a back up weapon should one fail or be out of reach in a pinch. I've been on three combat deployments and know it will get somewhat annoying having to lug a rifle with you if you need to go number 2 in the middle of the night.
Asses the threat level? You are joking? Right? If the bear is 25 yards away, you have about a second to asses the threat level, select a weapon and save your ass. This is a wild animal that wants to rip your head off not a video game.

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-12-2014 at 10:01 PM.
John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:08 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 843
Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Asses the threat level? You are joking? Right? If they bear is 25 yards away, you have about a second to asses the threat level, select a weapon and save your ass. This is a wild animal that wants to rip your head off not a video game.
Yeah, if a bear decides to charge you, you should just react. There is no time to asses. I don't live in bear country, but I live near the mountains and I do go into bear country. I thought about this a lot. I already have a Model 29 .44 Mag but I decided to get a Glock 20 instead. It's a little less powerful, but you have a lot more rounds and is easier to reload if you actually have the opportunity or need. Still, I'm taking a 12 gauge with slugs.

One of the best things you can do though is make noise though. Bears are likely to avoid you if they hear you coming. The problem is when you surprise them and now they feel cornered.

So my suggestions are to don't be quiet, carry a 10mm, but still have a shotgun with slugs.
Polygon is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:17 PM   #26
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 19,266
Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Default

Pretty much every story I've read of where someone used a handgun on a bear for defense was either severely mauled or killed. Caliber is really irrelevant a handgun is not good on bears.

I would suggest visiting a zoo that has a griz or two and check one out irl.... they are no joke for real badass eat your face critters.

Last fall like every fall I was in new hampshire bbqing for our employee picnic several hundred pounds of brisket and chicken. I always take a rifle. My dad makes fun of me for worrying about bears. This past fall about 3am there was a bear trying to get into the pit. I had my 45-70 loaded up pointing at the bear yelled at it and fortunately had enough singing its paws and took off.

Seeing one in real life with no bars in front is an eye opener and my dad stopped ribbing me about carrying a rifle to check the fires...

I can't imagine going anywhere in bear country with just a handgun.
__________________
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
JonM is offline  
JTJ Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:18 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
11B3OJ3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 79
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post

Asses the threat level? You are joking? Right? If the bear is 25 yards away, you have about a second to asses the threat level, select a weapon and save your ass. This is a wild animal that wants to rip your head off not a video game.
No s#!t . I meant like if im going out during a time of day or year when bears aren't as active, or to a place that bear sightings are less frequent, I probably won't load up the same way I would in the spring when Im heading out salmon fishing.
11B3OJ3 is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:27 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
11B3OJ3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 79
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Pretty much every story I've read of where someone used a handgun on a bear for defense was either severely mauled or killed. Caliber is really irrelevant a handgun is not good on bears.

I would suggest visiting a zoo that has a griz or two and check one out irl.... they are no joke for real badass eat your face critters.

Last fall like every fall I was in new hampshire bbqing for our employee picnic several hundred pounds of brisket and chicken. I always take a rifle. My dad makes fun of me for worrying about bears. This past fall about 3am there was a bear trying to get into the pit. I had my 45-70 loaded up pointing at the bear yelled at it and fortunately had enough singing its paws and took off.

Seeing one in real life with no bars in front is an eye opener and my dad stopped ribbing me about carrying a rifle to check the fires...

I can't imagine going anywhere in bear country with just a handgun.
When I was young I used to spend summers at some family property in Montana outside a very small town named Ennis, while trout fishing with my uncle from a boat we saw a big a$$ brown bear walking around the lake. Huge. Only bear I've ever seen in my life in the wild, between that and seeing how big their prints and piles of carp were it still scares me.
11B3OJ3 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:46 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
wittmeba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The state for Lovers
Posts: 1,097
Liked 576 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon
One of the best things you can do though is make noise though. Bears are likely to avoid you if they hear you coming. The problem is when you surprise them and now they feel cornered.
Making noise is good.

But after a good day of fishing and you're cooking Salmon on a grill - they may want their share.
__________________
NRA Member - Over 5,000,000 strong!
Criminals don't discriminate. They will attack anywhere!

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!
wittmeba is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:48 PM   #30
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
Making noise is good.

But after a good day of fishing and you're cooking Salmon on a grill - they may want their share.
bears do like their fish!
Axxe55 is offline  
wittmeba Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
moving to Alaska BRAD313 The Club House 19 08-18-2012 07:31 PM
Moving to Alaska pwg212 General Handgun Discussion 16 06-03-2012 11:46 PM
Moving to Alaska Alpha1Victor Survival & Sustenance Living Forum 27 01-05-2012 08:55 PM
Moving into centerfire target. Suggestions please Ruby476 General Rifle Discussion 8 11-02-2011 01:05 AM
Bear Defense firearmy Hunting Forum 102 03-05-2010 08:58 AM



Newest Threads