Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mounting a rail on a remington 700 (question)..?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just bought a Remington 700 and found a rail ill be installing on it...

I've watched a few videos online and EVERYONE seems to be JB welding it to the receiver and torquing it down...

I was a little afraid to do this myself (worried about getting the JB weld in the screw holes and I don't have a torque wrench) so I called a local gun smith and he said "just bolt in the 4 screws and you're good to go"...

I was wondering if he's right or not...

Is it really necessary to use JB weld and precisely torque down the screws? Or just a little lock tight and tighten it with a screw driver like the gun smith says...?

I so, why would EVERYONE on YouTube do it?

Oh...and it's a short action Remington 700 sps AAC SD with a 20 MOA Nightforce rail...use is for hunting and shooting paper (if that matters)

Thanks

Last edited by icallshotgun88; 10-17-2013 at 12:23 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2013, 12:19 AM   #2

Oh, and I just talked to another gunsmith at a LGS and he says the same thing...

The JB weld thing is unnecessary and he's never torqued down a rail on a rifle in his (32 year) gunsmith ing career...

He says "just tighten it down"...

Just seems odd. I youtube'd "Remington 700 rail install" and literally EVERYONE JB welds it and uses a torques it to spec...

How important is this?

Old 10-17-2013, 12:33 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2604 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 202

You do realize the 20 minute rail will make shooting at 200-300 yards nearly impossible, right? That rail will put the rear of the scope significantly higher than the front. It is intended for long range shooting, like 1000 yards

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

SSGN_Doc Likes This 
Old 10-17-2013, 12:52 AM   #4

Liked 1976 Times on 1174 Posts
Likes Given: 424

I've seen people use, and I have used lock-tite on the screw threads to make sure they don't back out under recoil, but I've never used JB Weld in a scope mounting process. And yeah, the 20 MOA rail is intended to get you more elevation adjustment in your cross hairs if you intend to shoot 1000 yds and beyond. You could luck out and with a 30mm tubed scope have enough downward adjustment to still make 200 yd hits, on target. If your primary uses for the rifle and scope are for hunting inside if 600 yds, a standard Weaver, scope mount should be fine. Or there are versions by Leupold, Burris, etc. without the 20 MOA incline built in.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:53 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5323 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

do not use jb weld.

find a different gunsmith!!

improperly torqued screws "just screwed down" can distort the reciever if over tight or come out and allow play or cause the rail itself to be off center.

get a wheeler FAT wrench. you need it anyway since reciever screws are never torqued evenelyy and are often a big cause of innacuaracy.

i generally torque reciever screws 55-60 inch pounds.

i torque rail screws down to around 45 inch pounds.

i also use rocksett instead of blue locktite since its got enough strength but not too strong and heat wont melt it.

if your mounting a 20 moa rail your going to need a good scope. most cheap scopes dont do well past 15moa as in tracking true. you are looking at a much pricier scope if you plan on long range shooting.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-17-2013, 12:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
You do realize the 20 minute rail will make shooting at 200-300 yards nearly impossible, right? That rail will put the rear of the scope significantly higher than the front. It is intended for long range shooting, like 1000 yards
I'didnt realize that...
Kinda new to all this
I've done ARs, shotguns and pistols but this will be my first boot gun that I've really played with..
I'll be doing hunting and mostly sub 300 yard shooting...
What's good for that?

Old 10-17-2013, 01:00 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2604 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Standard one piece scope mount is best for sub 300 yard shooting. A buddy of mine put a 20 min base on his rifle and asked my why it still shot high at 300. I laughed at him, called him a dummy and told him to ask BEFORE he made such purchses in the future. He got the right mount and has a high time. Eventually he will use this rifle for long range (338 RUM), but needs to build his skills first.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-17-2013, 01:01 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5323 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
I'didnt realize that...
Kinda new to all this
I've done ARs, shotguns and pistols but this will be my first boot gun that I've really played with..
I'll be doing hunting and mostly sub 300 yard shooting...
What's good for that?
you dont need a canted rail till you hit 900-1000 yards...

i would just use a non canted version

i really like the nikon monarch line for decent hunting optics. next step up is the trijicon accupoint. just my pref

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-17-2013, 01:47 AM   #9

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Use the blue (removable) Locktite and for gods sake don't use JB Weld. If you have enough elevation range in your scopes erector you should be fine. However, inexpensive scopes won't have enough travel range in the erector for elevation to get away with a +20 moa rail for up close.

Last edited by mrm14; 10-17-2013 at 01:51 AM.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:54 AM   #10

I'm lost..
So what rail would talk recommend for shooting 0-300/400 yards..?