Most accurate SMLE rifle? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Most accurate SMLE rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1884 Times on 1212 Posts
Likes Given: 4214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth View Post
Yes, that's the point.I want an extremely accurate SMLE.Chambered in 7,62 NATO would be the best option (thanks to the flat trajectory of the ammo).But...it would be much better to switch to something more "interesting" like .308 Lapua Magnum(I don't know if it is even possible).
The things that I'm going to do are the following:
-Change the forniture(sporterize it)
-Rebarrel the rifle(with a new match grade, heavy barrel)
-Add integrated picatinny rail system to the action(I have no idea how to do it, but I'll do it)
-Work on the trigger mechanism(Do you have any suggestion?)

What would be the cost for something like this(IYO)?
The Lee Enfield was one of the most used rifles of the 20th century. There are a lot of them out there and there isn't much that hasn't been tried with them. I would suggest you check specific Enfield forums to get some ideas on what can be done with one. But keep in mind the older ones were not designed for today's high pressure rounds. The.303 round was originally black powder and some of the models go back to before WWI. And most were well used. So you need to study up on the various models just to see what options you have. And there are more than enough sporterized rifles out there to choose from so there is no need to chop up a really nice all original one. And personally I would look one for one sporterized by Parker Hale. They turned out some nice rifles.

FYI I'm still kicking my self over a Parker Hale I passed up at a gun show when I was in my early 20's. That was one nice rifle.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:23 PM   #32
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1293 Times on 720 Posts
Likes Given: 561

If you are dead set on an accurized WWI era bolt gun, I would suggest contacting National Match Armory for an accurized M1903 or M1917.

Apart from applying Rule 303, there's not much that a SMLE does that the M1917 won't do.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:21 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1884 Times on 1212 Posts
Likes Given: 4214

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
If you are dead set on an accurized WWI era bolt gun, I would suggest contacting National Match Armory for an accurized M1903 or M1917.

Apart from applying Rule 303, there's not much that a SMLE does that the M1917 won't do.
There is one thing.... It shoots so much sweeter!

Old 07-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #34

Liked 47 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1 View Post
I don't think the SMLE action will take the pressures of a Lapua Magnum as the SMLE action is rated at 45-48000psi for the earlier SMLE's and the Mk4 is rated at better conversion to .308 Nato.

As far as I can find there is no such thing as a .308 Lapua Magnum unless you mean either the .338 Lapua Magnum or the .308 Norma Magnum and I think pressures off those 2 would destroy a SMLE action.

If you want to wildcat the SMLE you can blow it out to .35 calibre which a mate of mine has done and it's called the .35 Territorian.
Yes, I meant the .338 Lapua Magnum

Old 07-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #35

Default Thanks all

I would like to thank you all for your time and opinions.
Unfortunately, I have realize that my expectations about the SMLE are too unrealistic.I have to choose another platform.The SMLE is definitely too "weak" for my plans.
I think that I opt for a Mauser action(again).

Here are my options(I'm talking about the action only)
-Mauser 98 (Old, used, cheap but in excellent conditions.The Rail system will be welded on the the action)
-Mauser M98(brand new, with integrated scope mounts(I know...it will cost me an arm and a leg...especially if I want a titanium one)
-Mauser M12(Brand new, Mauser-quality grade, faster)

Keep in mind that:
-the rifle will be chambered in 7,62 NATO or .338 Lapua Magnum
-I need a good barrel. A heavy, match-grade one.What do you suggest?What is the best out there?It must be extremely accurate at 1000 yrd.
I'll do somethign like this(The one in the picture is a zastava, not an original Mauser.But the mechanism remains the same)

Last edited by Mark_Van_Goth; 07-22-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:34 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1533 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 1671

If you are hell bent on this I would suggest a Type 38 or Type 99 action, can`t get much stronger than that !...................
Old 07-22-2014, 04:02 PM   #37

Liked 358 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
-Mauser 98 (Old, used, cheap but in excellent conditions.The Rail system will be welded on the the action)
Nope. Only if you want to destroy the receiver. (Heat treat and warpage.)

Quote:
-Mauser M98(brand new, with integrated scope mounts(I know...it will cost me an arm and a leg...especially if I want a titanium one)
I would love to see the cost on that one.

Quote:
I'll do somethign like this(The one in the picture is a zastava, not an original Mauser.But the mechanism remains the same)
Given that the receiver and Pcatinny rail on the Zastava are machined from a single block of steel and not welded, it looks like you are down to purchasing the Zastava or having a custom Mauser receiver and rail machined from the super alloy of your choice. Lilija and Krieger would be two good choices for a barrel.

Last edited by Highpower; 07-22-2014 at 04:10 PM. Reason: syntax

Old 07-23-2014, 08:41 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Nope. Only if you want to destroy the receiver. (Heat treat and warpage.)

I would love to see the cost on that one.

Given that the receiver and Pcatinny rail on the Zastava are machined from a single block of steel and not welded, it looks like you are down to purchasing the Zastava or having a custom Mauser receiver and rail machined from the super alloy of your choice. Lilija and Krieger would be two good choices for a barrel.

Destroying the receiver?Maybe the lapua would do that, but the the 7,62 would work pretty ok(I've seen several builds in this caliber.

I'll send an inquiry to see how much would a steel and a titanum receiver cost.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:51 AM   #39

Default Sweet!!!!

Old 07-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #40

Liked 358 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Destroying the receiver?Maybe the lapua would do that, but the the 7,62 would work pretty ok(I've seen several builds in this caliber.
Not due to the caliber. In was in reference to WELDING the rail to the receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth