Most accurate SMLE rifle?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Most accurate SMLE rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default Most accurate SMLE rifle?

Hello all!
I'm looking for a smle(Enfield) rifle.I need something that allows me to obtain accurate fire at 600-700 yds(tight group.).What model is the most accurate?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #2

Liked 264 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 25

"Tight group" compared to what?? What kind of grouping do you expect?? There all old well used rifle except for the Canadian rangers and those still in the Canadian military will be dumping theres this year. British made were stopped almost 60 years ago and packi and india made ishapore 308 could be the best if you can find one. made are 35 or 45 years old and quality?? Accuracy could be the luck of the draw no matter what.

Last edited by hardluk1; 07-19-2014 at 05:25 PM.
303tom Likes This 
Old 07-19-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1260 Times on 857 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

Like hardluk1 says, your best bet would be to find a good Ishapore 2A or 2A1 !..........

When all else fails.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
"Tight group" compared to what?? What kind of grouping do you expect?? There all old well used rifle except for the Canadian rangers and those still in the Canadian military will be dumping theres this year. British made were stopped almost 60 years ago and packi and india made ishapore 308 could be the best if you can find one. made are 35 or 45 years old and quality?? Accuracy could be the luck of the draw no matter what.
What is the tightes grouping I can expect by the SMLE rifle?I mean...in terms of MOA?Lets say that the rifle was very well maintained and it is in pristine conditions.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #5

Liked 264 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Go root around on you tube videos. Theres a few there that shoot out to a 1000 yards. last time I fired a smle was 36years ago and it was in nice shape and 3rd rate then modern rifles at 400 yards. It was scoped.

Last edited by hardluk1; 07-19-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9148 Times on 3950 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

The SMLE family of rifles were not target rifles, but battle rifles. The acceptable standard for a rifle to be issued in the WW 1 time frame was about 4.5 MOA. Can you do better? Oh, my, yes.

First of all, handload ammo. Slug the bore to see what diameter bullet you should be using. AFTER you clean any copper fouling that may be lurking in that barrel. Then comes accurizing- with some models, specific pressure on specific barrel points, bedding the action, checking the rifling at the crown, etc etc. With some luck and good handloads, 2 MOA should be possible.

WHAT? (I hear screamed in the background) TWO MOA!!! yeah- like I said- a great battle rifle. The accurized No.4 sniper version does about that well. Intended to shoot minute-of-enemy at 600 yards. NOT "which eye should I hit at 1000???"

If you are looking for 1/4 MOA, woud humbly suggest this may not be the best platform to choose for that.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

hairbear1 Likes This 
Old 07-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
The SMLE family of rifles were not target rifles, but battle rifles. The acceptable standard for a rifle to be issued in the WW 1 time frame was about 4.5 MOA. Can you do better? Oh, my, yes.

First of all, handload ammo. Slug the bore to see what diameter bullet you should be using. AFTER you clean any copper fouling that may be lurking in that barrel. Then comes accurizing- with some models, specific pressure on specific barrel points, bedding the action, checking the rifling at the crown, etc etc. With some luck and good handloads, 2 MOA should be possible.

WHAT? (I hear screamed in the background) TWO MOA!!! yeah- like I said- a great battle rifle. The accurized No.4 sniper version does about that well. Intended to shoot minute-of-enemy at 600 yards. NOT "which eye should I hit at 1000???"

If you are looking for 1/4 MOA, woud humbly suggest this may not be the best platform to choose for that.
Nice.Thanks for the infos.I don't know the enfield platform very well, even if I had handled some of them.I'm looking for a custom sniper rifle.Usually I would opt for a Mauser action, but this time I want something different-faster.And I would like to take a classic war horse and bring it to modern standards.Am I crazy? Maybe yes, but I trully believe that the old-school still rocks and can be still used.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #8

Liked 2545 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth View Post
Nice.Thanks for the infos.I don't know the enfield platform very well, even if I had handled some of them.I'm looking for a custom sniper rifle.Usually I would opt for a Mauser action, but this time I want something different-faster.And I would like to take a classic war horse and bring it to modern standards.Am I crazy? Maybe yes, but I trully believe that the old-school still rocks and can be still used.
Is this an exercise in striving for improving accuracy in collectable C&Rs?

Or are you just looking for an inexpensive, accurate, bolt-action?

Because the collectible bolt-actions are getting more expensive, even with

iron sights only. Savage, Marlin, Ruger, and Remington are all making

less expensive NEW rifles than a good SMLE, and they are all pre-drilled for

modern scope mounts.

Most are rated at 1 MOA or close to it.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:22 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1302 Times on 846 Posts
Likes Given: 2728

Get the book "Complete Book on Lee Enfield Accurizing". It will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about setting up a Lee Enfield and then some including differences between models. There are things in that book you will never figure out on your own.

They are great rifles and one in good shape has a lot of potential on accuracy. The best deer rifle I've ever owned is a No.4. I killed my first deer with that gun and many many more after that. I've pretty much retired it now due to age but I will pick up another one at some point. And every once in a while you can run across an unissued 2A still packed in cosmoline (sp?).

Old 07-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #10

Liked 2545 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

If I were going to do this,(and I'm not any time soon)

I'd be looking for the model chambered in 30.06,

the American manufactured M1917 Enfield, which is

rumored to be somewhat more accurate. It would

probably also be easier reloading, to work up accurate

loads for 30.06.

But good luck, whatever you do.