Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Mossberg or Weatherby? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/mossberg-weatherby-91268/)

Tjurgensen 05-26-2013 01:07 AM

Mossberg or Weatherby?

Im looking for a new rifle and have narrowed my caliber down to a 270 WSM. Now im debating on the gun. My decision is between a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 sporter or a Mossberg 4X4. Both are wood stock, both have a 24" barrel, and both look to be quality guns. Unfortunately I have never owned neither a Mossberg or Weatherby rifle so I don't know which is better or the qualities both hold. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated

aandabooks 05-26-2013 01:26 AM

I've never heard any great praise for Mossberg rifles and I've never heard a bad word about Weatherby rifles. For my money I would get the Weatherby.

DrumJunkie 05-26-2013 01:53 AM

I have one of the Mossberg ATR's (30-06). It shoots fine but kicks like a mule. But I attribute a lot of it to the featherweight stock. I'm hoping a wood replacement will make things less ill tempered.

It was me looking at the choices you have I'd look at the Weatherby. Not saying the Mossberg is a bad rifle especially for the money. I just think the Weatherby is a better built gun.

Txhillbilly 05-26-2013 02:17 AM

I'd take the Weatherby over a Mossberg any day of the week.
But why do you want a WSM caliber? The ammo is expensive,brass is hard to find,and any gains in performance are subtracted by the first two notes.

The Vanguard series is just a Howa action,so you could also look at the Howa line of rifles. It is a very good action/rifle.

Tjurgensen 05-26-2013 02:41 AM

Thanks for the suggestions and as for your question Txhillbilly brass is not a problem as I don't reload and the ammo is only on average ten dollars more than less expensive calibers an expense im willing to pay. I also don't shoot enough for the expense of the ammo to really build up on me.

DrumJunkie 05-26-2013 02:59 AM

A 270 isn't my first choice of a round either. But as long sad your shooting I guess :)

Anna_Purna 05-26-2013 03:03 AM

Of the two choices I would definitely get the Weatherby over the Mossberg.

DrumJunkie 05-26-2013 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna_Purna (Post 1258267)
Of the two choices I would definitely get the Weatherby over the Mossberg.

I have to admit I bought the Mossberg because I couldn't find anyone that had one and I wanted to know how they shot. I will say it puts the bullet where it needs to but there are better rifles out there. I guess for the money they are pretty good. But if I do change to a wood stock and I still end up not all that happy it will be a huge testament to the rifle. And it wont be a cheap rifle any more. It's that lack of assurance that causes me to not want to endorse them a whole lot.

Though in the OPs case there where two rifles to choose from. That choice would be pretty easy for me to make for me. Thank God I have an old (sporterised)Remington 03A3. Now THAT'S a nice rifle :)

Apex-Predator 05-26-2013 04:32 AM

Weatherby is a totally different class. That said Weatherby firearms are too big and bulky for little old me, they feel like shouldering a 2x6 plank. My 270 WSM is a slim/light Savage 11 that shoots dime sized groups.
Only problem with the 270WSM is it is too much of a good thing, it is too darn fast for hunting here unless I am hunting a wide open field where I am expecting 300+yard shots which are rare to say the least so she does not see much action.

locutus 05-26-2013 01:00 PM

The Weatherby in a totally different class.

BTW, for a few bucks extra you can get a Vanguard ll with a decent stock instead of the wood.