Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mossberg MVP Varmint Edition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default Mossberg MVP Varmint Edition

Just purchased a rifle I have been looking at for about a year now, and I debated my choices here in this thread. It's the Mossberg MVP Varmint Edition.

Caliber: 5.56/.223
Barrel: 24" Medium Bull Fluted, 1:9 Twist
Trigger: Stock Lightning Trigger (similar to the savage accutrigger)
Magazines: AR15 Mags
Scope: Vortex Crossfire II 4-16x40mm (Dead Hold BDC) with parallax adjustment
BiPod: Atlas 6-9" with Blackhawk Picatinney to sling mount

Haven't got a chance to shoot it yet, hopefully, coming up before here and Christmas I'll get a chance to let you know how it goes.

I'm going to try and do some accuracy tests on some different grain store bought ammo. It seems that most of the people who have done reviews on this rifle have said that it seems to like 60-70 grain bullets which would be nice for some larger varmints, and the reviews have said that it still does well with the 55 grain varmint rounds. I really want to find a cheap 5.56/.223 bulk ammo that this likes. One of my main reasons in purchasing this was to be able to shoot cheaply with this caliber and practice some longer distance shooting (200-400 yards). Also, I have plans on doing some varmint hunting with it (i.e. rock chucks, coyotes, boars wolves) and maybe some smaller game (rabbits).

These seemingly get pretty good reviews as far as accuracy and reliability goes, we'll see how my experience goes. People seemed to think that the bolt was sloppy, and this is only so when it is out of battery position. When it is locked it is as tight as any other bolt action. I haven't had any problems with it cycling ammo out of the magazine and into battery and ejecting. Others seemed to complain of the rough ride that this has cycling the rounds. And while it is rough compared to other bolt guns, I don't feel it is that bad, and given the fact that I don't have to buy any magazines for it as I already have plenty of AR mags, I had no problem over looking a little bit of resistance in the action of chambering a cartridge.

I don't really do reviews on my stuff, but I felt that I need to start to as I always am researching and using other peoples reviews for my purchases. So this is the start of my contributions so that maybe others can from something I may say or point out. Thanks for viewing and would love your comments or suggestions.

image-1813442226.jpg  

Last edited by FishinLuke; 12-07-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Rocky7 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #2

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I think you made the right choice. If I were to get one of these, it would be the same model as yours. Congrats on the new rifle and I'm sure it goes for everyone when I say I can't wait to see how it does in your accuracy tests and review

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

FishinLuke Likes This 
Old 12-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Now they are coming out with a .308 plat form.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:29 AM   #4

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts

My son has the same rifle with a Mueller 4.5-14X ATP mil-dot scope and he's extremely happy with our hand loads he says it can out shoot him. And he's Expert with everything from M9 to M14 in the NAVY. SO you should be happy as long as you got a good example.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:04 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Hey just wondering if you bipod fits good? Mine sits off camber quite a bit. Guess I will have to get on of the block adapters for it.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:04 AM   #6

Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by oroprospector View Post
Now they are coming out with a .308 plat form.
I know, I've looked at those online, but have yet to see one in person. If this model works out for me and provides good accuracy, I would consider one of those down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllowe View Post
Hey just wondering if you bipod fits good? Mine sits off camber quite a bit. Guess I will have to get on of the block adapters for it.
Is your bipod an atlas? If so it doesn't make sense to me, the atlas that I have, pans, pivots and rotates, so I don't know how the camber would be off on yours?

Old 12-08-2013, 02:36 AM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1808 Times on 982 Posts
Likes Given: 557

I have the 20" lighter weight model and it is plenty accurate. Easily held MOA at 100 with 55 grain hand loads and a Burris FF2 3-9x40 BDC. Some people complain about the bolt but it is due the ability to use the AR mags. There is a bump in there but I really like that feature. I have 3 10's that I use with it. The 30's just hang down too far. I need to get on the 300 yard range and check the BDC. I would have liked to have the threaded barrel but they were tough to find.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-08-2013, 03:27 AM   #8
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1808 Times on 1037 Posts
Likes Given: 3697

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinLuke View Post
Just purchased a rifle I have been looking at for about a year now, and I debated my choices here in this thread. It's the Mossberg MVP Varmint Edition.

Caliber: 5.56/.223
Barrel: 24" Medium Bull Fluted, 1:9 Twist
Trigger: Stock Lightning Trigger (similar to the savage accutrigger)
Magazines: AR15 Mags
Scope: Vortex Crossfire II 4-16x40mm (Dead Hold BDC) with parallax adjustment
BiPod: Atlas 6-9" with Blackhawk Picatinney to sling mount

Haven't got a chance to shoot it yet, hopefully, coming up before here and Christmas I'll get a chance to let you know how it goes.

I'm going to try and do some accuracy tests on some different grain store bought ammo. It seems that most of the people who have done reviews on this rifle have said that it seems to like 60-70 grain bullets which would be nice for some larger varmints, and the reviews have said that it still does well with the 55 grain varmint rounds. I really want to find a cheap 5.56/.223 bulk ammo that this likes. One of my main reasons in purchasing this was to be able to shoot cheaply with this caliber and practice some longer distance shooting (200-400 yards). Also, I have plans on doing some varmint hunting with it (i.e. rock chucks, coyotes, boars wolves) and maybe some smaller game (rabbits).

These seemingly get pretty good reviews as far as accuracy and reliability goes, we'll see how my experience goes. People seemed to think that the bolt was sloppy, and this is only so when it is out of battery position. When it is locked it is as tight as any other bolt action. I haven't had any problems with it cycling ammo out of the magazine and into battery and ejecting. Others seemed to complain of the rough ride that this has cycling the rounds. And while it is rough compared to other bolt guns, I don't feel it is that bad, and given the fact that I don't have to buy any magazines for it as I already have plenty of AR mags, I had no problem over looking a little bit of resistance in the action of chambering a cartridge.

I don't really do reviews on my stuff, but I felt that I need to start to as I always am researching and using other peoples reviews for my purchases. So this is the start of my contributions so that maybe others can from something I may say or point out. Thanks for viewing and would love your comments or suggestions.
I have the same model, I have the Sightmark 8.5-25x50 Tactical scope.

I have been using some Bushmaster, PMAGS and older AR-15 mags with no issues. Lately, prefer the 10 rounder mags, based on the bipod I am using. I need to upgrade to Harris model.

I have Thermold mags, will not work at all, insert and they drop out. Good for the AR only.

I have been using the American Eagle 5.56 x 45mm NATO 62 gr. from the 150 round box from Walmart $69.99, cheaper than Sportsman's Warehouse! This ammo is on the marker, nailing the metal target at 200 yards and that is from an angle.

I have been shooting .223 in Federal, American, or PMC 55 gr and 62 gr mix; however, the rounds tend drop at least 4 inches at 100 yards. Shooting the MVP Varmint with only 5.56 rounds, the .223 is more for the 700 VTR.

Prefer to stay with a specific ammo a rifle loves.

I have not used the AR223 Federal ammo, might attempt it next range time to see what the accuracy is.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinLuke

I know, I've looked at those online, but have yet to see one in person. If this model works out for me and provides good accuracy, I would consider one of those down the road.

Is your bipod an atlas? If so it doesn't make sense to me, the atlas that I have, pans, pivots and rotates, so I don't know how the camber would be off on yours?

No it's a Harris. I compensate wit it by having the left leg extended about an inch.