Mossberg MVP - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mossberg MVP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Actually, I think hammer forging is the most common and cheapest. It also leaves the most stresses in the barrel.

On the research I've done, a good button rifling job can be comparable to cut rifling in accuracy. I can't say from experience because all the barrels I've bought have been cut rifling...most of them will shoot around 0.5" groups at 100 yds. with the right load.
FishinLuke Likes This 
Old 11-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #22

Liked 717 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllowe View Post
Do the MVP 24 inch. A little drag but not bad. 20 in you would loose more velocity. Love mine plus no extra mags to buy. The 20 and 10 round mags work best though.
It was my understanding that the 5.56 was designed for and performs at its best out of a 20" barrel.

Anything more actually loses velocity, I don't remember where I read this, I'll see if I can verify.

EDIT: ok I found a few charts, velocity does increase minimally with extended barrel lengths up to at least 22".

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

كافر

Last edited by sputnik1988; 11-11-2013 at 08:43 AM.
FishinLuke Likes This 
Old 11-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #23

Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
It was my understanding that the 5.56 was designed for and performs at its best out of a 20" barrel.

Anything more actually loses velocity, I don't remember where I read this, I'll see if I can verify.

EDIT: ok I found a few charts, velocity does increase minimally with extended barrel lengths up to at least 22".
I've seen conflicting reports, but it seems like there is a diminishing velocity increase after you get out past 20", but my research (granted this research is just other forums I've looked at) shows that 22" would be about the best bang for the buck if looking for the best velocity, if one can handle the extra length. I'm not looking to limit length as I already have a S&W M&PT AR, I'm looking for the best velocities I can manage. It seems like the 24" will give me maybe a 75-125 extra FPS over the 20" barrel (from what I've seen on the internet).

I post this image as it is one I have looked at however, I have seen other reports that show the opposite that the FPS stays the same or actually slows down 10-20 FPS when one gets above 22". So who knows, until I get a chrono out and start my own research.

You know how the internet is, if one searches long enough he can validate any claim he wants, that is what is frustrating with all this information floating around on the internet.

Last edited by FishinLuke; 11-11-2013 at 05:11 PM.
People Like This 
Old 11-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4144 Times on 2814 Posts
Likes Given: 2064

Quote:
You know how the internet is, if one searches long enough he can validate any claim he wants, that is what is frustrating with all this information floating around on the internet.
Amen.

There is no reason the 5.56 velocity would decrease in a longer barrel. For academic purposes, it will peak out at a certain point, far beyond any real barrel length.
FishinLuke Likes This 
Old 11-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #25

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinLuke View Post
I have seen other reports that show the opposite that the FPS stays the same or actually slows down 10-20 FPS when one gets above 22".
IMO, that's impossible for any realistic barrel lengths. The gases continue to exert force on the base of a bullet until the bullet leaves the barrel. There's reasons buffalo hunters used barrels out to 32" and it wasn't because they wanted to slow down the bullet.

Quote:
Quite true. Specialty sites are better, e.g. this site, Long Range Hunting forum, etc., but even at a specialty site one can find soft, brown stuff.
FishinLuke Likes This 
Old 11-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
IMO, that's impossible for any realistic barrel lengths. The gases continue to exert force on the base of a bullet until the bullet leaves the barrel. There's reasons buffalo hunters used barrels out to 32" and it wasn't because they wanted to slow down the bullet.
That's what I've always thought. I've never heard of a bullet slowing in velocity within a barrel, personally, it was just through the internet that I heard otherwise (i know, i know). Now, I know there is a point where it is silly to add another inch to the barrel as the gains aren't substantial enough. I think that 22" is a good length for the 5.56/223 but I think that I'm settled on getting the MVP Varmint with it's 24" barrel. I'll post some pictures when I get it home. It seems like it is a good shooter for the money.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I own an mvp with a 18.5 medium bull barrel and I love it. Perfect for predator hunting in southeast Oklahoma. Im getting around .75 MOA groups. The farthest I've been able to shoot it is 250 yards due to lack of open spaces where I live. My one and only complaint is that the bolt is not as smooth as I would like. But other than that it is a great gun. If you take longer shots and need more accuracy I would recommend getting a mvp varmit. I've heard they are more accurate than the predator due to the length of the barrel. Cant go wrong with the MVP.
FishinLuke Likes This 
Old 11-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by death_angel View Post
I own an mvp with a 18.5 medium bull barrel and I love it. Perfect for predator hunting in southeast Oklahoma. Im getting around .75 MOA groups. The farthest I've been able to shoot it is 250 yards due to lack of open spaces where I live. My one and only complaint is that the bolt is not as smooth as I would like. But other than that it is a great gun. If you take longer shots and need more accuracy I would recommend getting a mvp varmit. I've heard they are more accurate than the predator due to the length of the barrel. Cant go wrong with the MVP.
Thanks for the review of your MVP. I haven't been able to handle a predator model, but have been able to handle the varmint model as its the only one between the two models in stores around here and there's only two of them. I've been in between the predator and varmint, but think I will settle on the varmint. I can always get a predator in the future if I like the varmint .

Side note the cabelas near me had a MVP Patrol model with flash suppressor, backup sights, bipod and nikon BDC scope on it, they were asking $1,500 for it! I don't understand that but oh well. Couldn't a person buy a patrol and outfit it for less? The nikon scope i believe was a $250 scope.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #29

Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinLuke

Thanks for the review of your MVP. I haven't been able to handle a predator model, but have been able to handle the varmint model as its the only one between the two models in stores around here and there's only two of them. I've been in between the predator and varmint, but think I will settle on the varmint. I can always get a predator in the future if I like the varmint .

Side note the cabelas near me had a MVP Patrol model with flash suppressor, backup sights, bipod and nikon BDC scope on it, they were asking $1,500 for it! I don't understand that but oh well. Couldn't a person buy a patrol and outfit it for less? The nikon scope i believe was a $250 scope.
You could get a real nice AR with the works for 1500!!!
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Old 11-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by longunner View Post
You could get a real nice AR with the works for 1500!!!
That's what I was thinking to myself. I know that people think that the MVP is a good rifle but it doesn't have the nostalgia or reputation (yet) of the other scout model rifles to warrant that price tag IMHO.

By the way how do you like your M&P 15-22? I have one and have a lots of fun with it, it eats and cycles anything I throw at it (even subsonics) and is pretty accurate comparing to other semi-22's. I've had very few problems in the 2000 rounds I've put through it, several of Falure to Fire's, only 1-2 FTE out of mostly bulk ammo. I'm pretty pleased.

Last edited by FishinLuke; 11-13-2013 at 05:57 PM.