Mossberg MVP
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mossberg MVP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default Mossberg MVP

I'm a long time lurker here but now have a question.

I'm looking into getting a varmint gun in .223/5.56. My criteria for looking has been, detacheable magazine, bull/heavy barrel, 1:9 or faster twist, with good reviews on accuracy. With that criteria, I've been back and forth really between three different rifles:

1. Mossberg MVP (Predator or Varmint)
2. Tikka T3 Varmint
3. Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine

I really think I would like to try out the mossberg but they are so new into the more "quality" bolt guns as they have really only been know to make decent affordable shotguns in the past. But the MVP seems to be getting good reviews in the net besides the loose magazine (which everyone has said doesn't affect the function) and the loose bolt when out of battery. It seems to he good reviews on accuracy. I like the idea of it using AR mags (duh) as I have a lot if them, and like what it's priced at. I think I should be able to find one of these for ~$550-600. But would save money in the magazine department.

The tikka t3 varmint would cost me more but everyone raves about how smooth and accurate it is. I don't have any experience with tikka and it would hurt my pocketbook. I can source one of these for $860 right now, but would want to purchase a couple extra magazines with it and I imagine those are $35-50/ea.

The savage model 10 precision carbine looks like a decent buy and has lots if aftermarket support. But it would run me $700-800. Then add a few extra magazines.

I really want to like the mossberg but really am just concerned with the name and some of the sloppiness on the magazines and bolt which I could get over. It would afford me some money to put into a scope that the others would not allow for.

My intentions for this gun is to be relatively accurate out to 500 yards meaning able to keep a 1-2 moa (or 5-10" at 500 yards) group. It will mainly be used for varmint hunting, target shooting would be secondary at this point. I'm a little bit conflicted as I have a S&W M&P Tactical and wondering if this new purchase is needed or will my S&W AR suffice.

Thanks for the future advice and help in this decision.

Last edited by FishinLuke; 11-08-2013 at 09:54 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #2

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Also look at Weatherby. They just released a new varminter for under 700

Old 11-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #3

I looked at weatherby but discounted it along with Reminton as they don't offer it in a 1:9, or 1:8 twist. I would like to be able to shoot heavier grain bullets (70+ grain) and didn't want a problem with stabalization. I realize that the faster twist would limit me on the smaller grains, but as long as i can still shoot 50-55 grain I would be fine with that for varmints.

The weatherby site shows that their varmint barrel is a 1:14, which I would think would really limit it to below 60 grain bullets maybe I'm wrong?

Old 11-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #4

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Moa accuracy is tough at 500 yards with a light 223 bullet, in my opinion. Not saying it can't be done, just saying it would be impossible for me to do.

Now, I had the 18.5" Mossberg MVP last year and have been kicking myself in the ass for getting rid of it. Accuracy and dependability were both excellent! My rifle would shoot under an inch at 100 yards with federal fusion ammo and many others, but 64 grain was as heavy as I ever shot. I didn't have anything bad to say about the rifle at all, but wanted a 357 mag levergun so that had to go. I think if you get one you wont be upset with your purchase. You can find the 18.5" barrel scoped here for $550.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
Moa accuracy is tough at 500 yards with a light 223 bullet, in my opinion. Not saying it can't be done, just saying it would be impossible for me to do.

Now, I had the 18.5" Mossberg MVP last year and have been kicking myself in the ass for getting rid of it. Accuracy and dependability were both excellent! My rifle would shoot under an inch at 100 yards with federal fusion ammo and many others, but 64 grain was as heavy as I ever shot. I didn't have anything bad to say about the rifle at all, but wanted a 357 mag levergun so that had to go. I think if you get one you wont be upset with your purchase. You can find the 18.5" barrel scoped here for $550.
I realize MOA accuracy at 500 would be tough, I can no where near shoot that myself, even with the perfect rifle, I would screw it up. I just wouldn't mind not being limited by the rifle I choose if I improved to that point. Thats good to know that you liked your MVP.

I would be in between the varmint 24" barrel and the 18.5" barrel on which I would choose, I think that I would lean towards the 18.5" as I think it would get old lugging the 24" around. And I don't feel like I'm giving up that much with the 5.5", I think it amounts to about 200-220 fps on velocity if i'm not mistaken.

So you feel the mossberg for the price was not a let down for you? I would have no reservations if the name on the gun was ruger, remington, savage, etc., I've always just considered Mossberg to be the Harbor Freight of the firearm industry, but I'm open to be enlightened by this purchase.

Again thanks for the input

Last edited by FishinLuke; 11-08-2013 at 09:36 PM.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #6

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

I used mine for deer hunting and a lot of that was walking around the woods late season and I never got tired of the weight of that rifle. I now own a howa 223 20" bull barreled gun with a 4-16x scope I think and a 10 round detachable box mag. It shoots as well as the Mossberg, but that setup cost me quite a lot more than the Mossberg would have, but I couldn't find the Mossberg (until the next day). I would love to buy mine back from the man I sold it to but he won't come off it at all. I've tried to buy my rifle back for more than what I could get a new one for, so yes, I think it is worth the money.

I will have me another one in the near future, but these leverguns have caught my attention and I can't come off wanting a 45 colt Rossi so that one is next before the Mossberg. If coyotes are what you're going after, 500 yards is a very long shot, but if you get good enough to shoot that far, I wouldn't hesitate using the Mossberg at all.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:31 AM   #7
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1954 Times on 1136 Posts
Likes Given: 4105

I have the Mossberg MVP Varmint with 24" barrel. I mounted a Sightmark Scope 8.5-25x50 Tactical.

I was at the range the other day, had to re-sight the scope in, operator error.

I shot American Eagle 5.56 62 gr, was on the target and nailing the metal target at the 200 yard marker. I even took aim at the targets simulating the 500 yard marker and was hitting the metal.

I did fire some PMC .223 55 gr, was hitting a little low from where the 5.56 62 gr on center paper.

The only mags the Mossberg hates or will not accept is the Thermold version, does not matter 10, 20 or 30 round mags.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:19 AM   #8

Big****ry, that's good to hear! Sounds like the mossberg is working out pretty well for you! I handled a varmint model like you have tonight and I think that I will be purchasing it in the next few days. How do you like that sightmark scope? Is the low power (8.5) too close for you for varmints below 100 yards? Or do you not use it for varmints just for targets? I've seen that scope and wondered if it would be.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1954 Times on 1136 Posts
Likes Given: 4105

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinLuke View Post
Big****ry, that's good to hear! Sounds like the mossberg is working out pretty well for you! I handled a varmint model like you have tonight and I think that I will be purchasing it in the next few days. How do you like that sightmark scope? Is the low power (8.5) too close for you for varmints below 100 yards? Or do you not use it for varmints just for targets? I've seen that scope and wondered if it would be.
Love them!

I have 2 of the Sightmarks tactical, one on the Mossberg ATR 100 and on the MVP Varmint

I can adjust the scope to 10 yards and the focus to look at my lamp in the other room, very clear.

Settings - it has an adjustment on the left side to 10 yards, the eye piece has a + / - for focus, the standard elevation and right/left (both with locking)

I wish I could use for varmints; but, more at the range.

The rings that I use is the Warne; however, the scope comes with its own rings.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #10

Liked 76 Times on 47 Posts

My brother in law has the mpv. It is sweet. We blew up a few balloons to 5" went out to 300yrd and was nailing them. Then we put 3" targets up and had 2 out of 20rds not hit it.