Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Are Mossberg Bolt Actions Safe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 03:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Are Mossberg Bolt Actions Safe?

I purchased a Mossberg 100 ATR in .270 about a year ago and absolutely love the rifle. It came as a surprise to me when I saw a forum with a bunch of people bashing the thing. Apparently there have been several cases of the bolt head and the bolt body coming loose or even separating all together with recoil. When the head comes loose you can rotate it in to the locked position and it will fire without the bolt lugs engaged (I heard the same about the 4x4). This scared the bageezus out of me. I'm afraid to even look at the thing. I know the 2 parts of the bolt are held together with only a compression fitting, no threads, no pin, nothing. After calling Mossberg and asking about it the answer I received was that "the 100 ATR passes all required safety requirements". Should I just toss the thing or is this all just some B.S.?

"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
-U.S. Army Training Notice

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here