Mossberg ATR Night Train
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mossberg ATR Night Train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default Mossberg ATR Night Train

To whom it may concern.....
Let me start by saying that I'm not going to bash Mossberg because the rifle I got was less than satisfactory, because maybe it is partially my fault as well. The ATR package, IMO, is not one I would ever consider buying or recommend for someone else to purchase. Everything on the rifle was CHEAP and I know you get what you pay for but this is pretty ridiculous. I don't have an exact round count, but I can estimate it at about 200 or so, definitely not very many.

It wouldn't hold a zero for more than 5 or 10 shots. The rings would back themselves out due to the recoil of the rifle, or so I believe, I am no expert but they would always need tightening after 2 or 3 shots. I swear the scope on it must have been turning the turrets itself because after shooting after tightening the rings up it would always be off at least 3 feet to the left or right, usually left On my most recent range session, after making sure the rings were tight, I took a shot. Guess where it ended up?? 3 feet to the left.. I unscrewed the cap that protects the windage turret and it would spin freely and not click at all. I checked the tiny flathead screw slots, thinking that could be the problem. I tightened them up, but it still wouldn't click.

That is NOT COOL. I called Mossberg earlier today and the customer service reps I spoke with were helpful and they are going to email me a shipping label to send in the rifle for repair or replacement....

So now, after taking the rings off I see this:

img_1519-1-.jpg   img_1518-1-.jpg  

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-29-2013, 01:53 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by longunner View Post
To whom it may concern.....
Let me start by saying that I'm not going to bash Mossberg because the rifle I got was less than satisfactory, because maybe it is partially my fault as well. The ATR package, IMO, is not one I would ever consider buying or recommend for someone else to purchase. Everything on the rifle was CHEAP and I know you get what you pay for but this is pretty ridiculous. I don't have an exact round count, but I can estimate it at about 200 or so, definitely not very many.

It wouldn't hold a zero for more than 5 or 10 shots. The rings would back themselves out due to the recoil of the rifle, or so I believe, I am no expert but they would always need tightening after 2 or 3 shots. I swear the scope on it must have been turning the turrets itself because after shooting after tightening the rings up it would always be off at least 3 feet to the left or right, usually left On my most recent range session, after making sure the rings were tight, I took a shot. Guess where it ended up?? 3 feet to the left.. I unscrewed the cap that protects the windage turret and it would spin freely and not click at all. I checked the tiny flathead screw slots, thinking that could be the problem. I tightened them up, but it still wouldn't click.

That is NOT COOL. I called Mossberg earlier today and the customer service reps I spoke with were helpful and they are going to email me a shipping label to send in the rifle for repair or replacement....

So now, after taking the rings off I see this:
sounds like two problems are going on. looking at the base, it looks like a soft aluminum base. i'd replace it with a steel base. the scope sounds like it has it's own issues as well with the turrets being that loose. i'd think about seeing if the scope was under warranty as well. or replace it with a better scope.

i had a Mossberg ATR100 in 30-06 that i put a 4-12x42 Nikon Prostaff on, that recoiled like the Hammer of Thor, and that rifle never lost it's zero when i had it. it was dead nuts accurate, but the recoil was horrible.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:59 AM   #3

Yea I'm going to send it in and hopefully they will fix whatever needs fixing and when I get it back ill upgrade the base, rings and scope when funds allow it. I'm disappointed that I never got even halfway decent groups with it, especially the way you say yours performs

Marlin Model 60
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-29-2013, 02:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Yea I'm going to send it in and hopefully they will fix whatever needs fixing and when I get it back ill upgrade the base, rings and scope when funds allow it. I'm disappointed that I never got even halfway decent groups with it, especially the way you say yours performs
beings they are sending you a shipping label, i'd go ahead and send it in and have it checked out, just to be sure.

hope you get yours fixed. the Mossberg is actually a pretty decent rifle. i loved the groups mine would get with handloads i worked up for it. mine would have been the perfect deer killer!

Old 10-29-2013, 02:15 AM   #5

Got any good recommendations for rings, a mount and glasS? I don't want to break the bank but I definitely want quality this time around

Marlin Model 60
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2

Old 10-29-2013, 02:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Got any good recommendations for rings, a mount and glasS? I don't want to break the bank but I definitely want quality this time around
try MidwayUSA. browse through and look at the reviews on the products they carry. usually sticking with the known brands, you will do okay. i use a lot of different bases and rings, but most of mine are usually Weavers, Redfield and Bushnells.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:16 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1667 Times on 1143 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Natchez had some great prices on scopes. www.natchezss.com

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 10-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #8
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3189 Times on 2169 Posts
Likes Given: 695

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
Natchez had some great prices on scopes. www.natchezss.com
Very good company to do business with! I bought all of my TruGlo's from them.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 10-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #9

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Some people may not agree with what I am about to say, but I had a leapers and a barska on a few different rifles and they preformed flawlessly. Glass was exceptionally clear on both and held zero very well. With that said, neither scope was a $1000 leopold, but very good optics for the money.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3189 Times on 2169 Posts
Likes Given: 695

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell
Some people may not agree with what I am about to say, but I had a leapers and a barska on a few different rifles and they preformed flawlessly. Glass was exceptionally clear on both and held zero very well. With that said, neither scope was a $1000 leopold, but very good optics for the money.
That's funny you should mention Barska, because I have a chance to buy their prismatic 2x30 sight if I decide I don't like the TruGlo on the 702 or the SA-20, I can pull one of them off and go with the smaller bodied Barska...for about the same price...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...