Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Mossberg ATR (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/mossberg-atr-76887/)

longunner 11-22-2012 04:36 PM

Mossberg ATR

Anyone have any experience with this rifle? Price is pretty attractive is it too good to be true?

Gatoragn 11-22-2012 04:41 PM

They may not be the purtiest, the sleekest, the most accurate or the most anything else, but generally Mossberg stuff does what it claims to do. Should go bang when you pull the trigger, knock down a deer, pig or 'yote, put holes in the paper.

WhelanLad 11-25-2012 07:20 AM

exzachery what he said....

DrumJunkie 11-25-2012 07:43 AM

I have one (30 06), it's a pretty good rifle but nothing exceptional. But I didn't pay exceptional money for it either. If you want a decent hunting rifle they will get it done. I'd really like to change the poly stock on mine to something a little more.....wooden. Other than that I have no problem wit hit at all.

Axxe55 11-25-2012 07:58 AM

i had one in 30-06, and actually with some handloads i made up for it, it was pretty dang accurate. trigger was decent, bolt was smooth and overall, a pretty decent rifle. now the downside, it was one of the hardest recoiling 30-06 rifles i have ever shot in my life! felt more like a 300 WM than a 30-06. tried a different recoil pad, and tried even adding more weight to the buttstock. didn't help a bunch. never go around to it, but i feel a different stock would have helped the most.

as a rifle for hunting, it would be excellent. as a target rifle, not so much! IMO, they are a very good value and a dang good rifle for the price.

longunner 11-25-2012 03:12 PM

I just shot my cousins yesterday he has it in 30-06. We were shooting at 100 yards and the groups were pretty good by my standards. Might have to be my next purchase but in 308 instead

godale 11-26-2012 02:51 PM

i almost bought one i bought a stevens 200 instead though.for the money i bet they are good like any thing mossberg makes had i not found the stevens 200 i would have bought it. still might try one in 308 though

WhelanLad 11-29-2012 10:07 AM

whays the price difference between
Marlin x7
mossberg atr100
&
stevens 200?

godale 11-30-2012 02:24 PM

in my area in ne ohio
atr 267.00 to 290.00 wally being at low end
marlin 330.00 to 350.00
the stevens 299.00 to 340.00 if you find them it has basically been replaced by the axis here dunhams still has them but not sure

huffmanite 11-30-2012 08:18 PM

the mossberg ATR is a very decent low end rifle. It should shoot well. Gent I shoot with on a regular basis spent a few days with one trying various reloads in one his son had bought. He was impressed with the rifle, commenting he might have to get one for himself. Not a bad comment about the rifle, considering the last two rifles he bought came from the Remington custom shop and he owns some very accurate Savages that sells for well over $700.

I've toyed with buying one of them myself, have had to ignore some pretty good deals on them. Have not bought one simply because of the way their barrel is installed. I've had a fair number of rifles rebarreled in the past. The way the ATR barrel is installed does not lend it self to being easily replaced. Happen to talk with gent I mentioned just last weekend about the Mossberg rifle and way they install a barrel. I mentioned this and he agreed saying, yep, its a disposable rifle. When the barrel is shot out, might as way just throw it away. Mind you, both of us do a fair amount of shooting at range, putting lots of rounds thru our barrels. For the average shooter, the ATR will last quite a long time.