Mosins: Darn these things are addicting - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosins: Darn these things are addicting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2040 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68
I refinished the stock on my 91/30 with walnut stain followed by at least 10 coats of tru-oil. Turned out real nice.
You have pics? Love to see them

Old 11-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez
Quit messing around... Get a PU or a Finnish one. Trust me.
Know where to get one? And what about the Finns are so good? Have heard that before

Old 11-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #13

Liked 388 Times on 224 Posts

I picked up a Russian 91/30 dated 1940. Haven't shot it yet but everything looks great. It's stamped century arms so I'm assuming maybe it was imported by them? I own many guns but I'm new to the Mosins. Anyone here ever feel the need to check the head space before firing? I havent shot mine yet because I was going to pick up some gauges to check the headspace. Is that like a "must do" thing, or is it only if the gun appears to be in poor condition? Mine is all numbers matching and the rifling and all parts look great on it. The barrel appears it may have been 're crowned...not sure though as im no expert in older rifles.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando
I picked up a Russian 91/30 dated 1940. Haven't shot it yet but everything looks great. It's stamped century arms so I'm assuming maybe it was imported by them? I own many guns but I'm new to the Mosins. Anyone here ever feel the need to check the head space before firing? I havent shot mine yet because I was going to pick up some gauges to check the headspace. Is that like a "must do" thing, or is it only if the gun appears to be in poor condition? Mine is all numbers matching and the rifling and all parts look great on it. The barrel appears it may have been 're crowned...not sure though as im no expert in older rifles.
If you have cleaned the bore and the chamber thoroughly and the bolt locks down tight I'd say go for it

Old 11-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #15

Liked 2200 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
Know where to get one? And what about the Finns are so good? Have heard that before
Gotta shop around or buy one on an auction site. The Finns rebarreled most if the actions that they captured. Their barrels are much better quality, and they were maintained much better. So they usually have the best and most consistent bores. They also fitted the stocks better and used brass shims to help bed the actions into the stocks and the triggers are usually better also. I'm sorry I ever got rid of mine.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:47 AM   #16

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando
I recommend always checking headspace, you never know.

Join The NRA And Protect Our Rights

Old 11-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #17

Liked 388 Times on 224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCody View Post

I recommend always checking headspace, you never know.
Yeah I've just been slacking because the gauges are $50 and I wanted to put it towards a new holster lol.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 569 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 2448

Yep,
may have to buy another one.
But,
still haven't got all the cosmoline of the first one.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
Yeah I've just been slacking because the gauges are $50 and I wanted to put it towards a new holster lol.
I guess my question is, if you clean the thing properly, why doubt it will work? These rifles were designed to shoot, be used as a club, dig a ditch, hold up a tent, shoot some more....you get the picture. I have never heard of issues with the Mosins in that regard. I am more worried about metal fatigue/hairline cracks etc. with a 70 year old rifle or if the bolt does not lock down properly. That's just me and I am not a gunsmith

Old 11-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 190 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 293

[QUOTE=chloeshooter;1432629]Someone told be these things can get addicting. Just bought a 1938 Izhevsk 91/30 to go along with my 1940 Tula. Both rifles have all serial numbers matching, Tula is a decent open sight shooter looking forward to seeing how his big brother shoots if I get time between deer hunts, bird hunts, kid's hockey games, honey-do list.......

Now the search for: hex receiver, carbine.....where will it stop?

Yep, a friend of mine has over 30 of them stuffed into his basement that he bought with his retirement money. He thinks that they will increase in value like Enfields did, and for his sake I hope he is right, but I'm not sure it will happen. The Soviets just made too many of them.

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Last edited by HM2Grunt; 11-18-2013 at 03:50 PM.