Mosin Question (accuracy)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin Question (accuracy)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Default Mosin Question (accuracy)

When I get taxes back I was thinking about getting a M44 I was wondering is it like the 91/30 where having the bayonet extended change the point of aim. I know that when I shoot mine having it on drops the POA by a few inches makes it pretty much dead on.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8883 Times on 3846 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

M44 was designed to be shot WITH the bayonet extended. It folds for transport and storage, otherwise, open it up.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 190 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Unless you can fine a very nice m44 with the purpose to collect, (and I have seen some absolutely beautiful Polish 44's), buy a 91/30. The m44 is not as accurate, has a massive muzzle flash, and is quite loud. And, don't bring a bayonet to the range, it scares the straights

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Old 10-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #4

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

Even better... Buy 2 91/30s like I did... Then shorten one to the length of the M44 and scare the hell out of the neighbors when the first shot rings out... I removed around 10 inches from the barrel of mine (still way over legal minimum length... think Jeff Cooper) and the sound signature and flash are incredible...

Old 10-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #5

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM2Grunt View Post
Unless you can fine a very nice m44 with the purpose to collect, (and I have seen some absolutely beautiful Polish 44's), buy a 91/30. The m44 is not as accurate, has a massive muzzle flash, and is quite loud. And, don't bring a bayonet to the range, it scares the straights
The M44 has the bayonet attached!!! It folds out. I gave a Hungarian M44 to my oldest son, it was very accurate. When I did the 2000 Goodwill games in lake placid, we shot the biathalon course w/ different targets. We also used snow mobiles to get from station to station. It was a ton of fun!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #6

Liked 740 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 791

Get a M38 Carbine... Its like the M44 but with no bayonet..

Old 10-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #7

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Why would you not want the bayonet? There is an indescribable cool factor to explaining a World War II infantry gun at the range. And the fact that it is more accurate with the bayonet out than folded....you can't BUY that kind of satisfaction!

Here's my M44, just refinished:

12FRETTER

Old 10-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #8

No bayonet was the reason I didnt get one...

Im pretty sure the reason they shoot better with bayonets, has to do with barrel harmonics..

Why else would the Russians give their snipers (Who didnt get a bayonet) a gun that was sighted in and shot better with a bayonet?
The Russian military Mosin manuals Ive read have a section on wrapping the barrel in a certain location, to change the barrel harmonics; that has better effect than using the bayonet...

I posted this in another thread but ill put it here too:

Last edited by Trez; 10-26-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #9

Liked 2465 Times on 1600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez
No bayonet was the reason I didnt get one...

Im pretty sure the reason they shoot better with bayonets, has to do with barrel harmonics..

Why else would the Russians give their snipers (Who didnt get a bayonet) a gun that was sighted in and shot better with a bayonet?
The Russian military Mosin manuals Ive read have a section on wrapping the barrel in a certain location, to change the barrel harmonics; that has better effect than using the bayonet...

I posted this in another thread but ill put it here too:
The picture is the same as the other thread too. Blank. So, kind sir, could you re post the pic it so kindly give us a description.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 10-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #10

Ok ill try again... Its not the same pic from the military manual, but shows the same thing, and in English!