Mosin - Oh, what the heck! - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin - Oh, what the heck!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
artbrownsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Anchorage Alaska
Posts: 423
Liked 207 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 352

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman View Post
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/corrosive/

http://www.empirearms.com/clean.htm

There are plenty more sites on the web about this. Read up...

regarding ammonia
__________________

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

artbrownsr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rocshaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KanOkla
Posts: 3,279
Liked 2143 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Default

Seems like everyone has a different way of doing it.

__________________
rocshaman is offline  
MoHawk Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
chloeshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Great North Woods
Posts: 2,574
Liked 2040 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman View Post
Seems like everyone has a different way of doing it.
yep! I say whatever gets it clean, ad does not damage the metal, is a good system. I do believe the tolerances of these rifles allows for a lot of shooting without cleaning.
__________________
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!
chloeshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,353
Liked 2200 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
yep! I say whatever gets it clean, ad does not damage the metal, is a good system. I do believe the tolerances of these rifles allows for a lot of shooting without cleaning.
I still would clean them at the end of a shooting session, because leaving the water attracting salst in there is bad, especially in humid environments. The bore condition is probably one of the biggest differences I've seen in accuracy potential in the Mosins I've owned. One humid overnight with a dirty bore full of corrosive ammo salts, can still contribute to pitting.
__________________
SSGN_Doc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:21 AM   #45
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bamashooter68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: cullman,alabama
Posts: 597
Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Default

I always heard you had to use ammonia and dish detergent but all I have ever used is hot water. I have 3 mosin nagants and none of them have ever rusted. Most of the ammo thru them is corrosive military surplus whatever. The only time they see the good stuff is if Im hunting with one.

__________________
bamashooter68 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:49 AM   #46
PRM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
PRM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 68
Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

They are great guns. I was instructing a firearms school at our Academy a few years back and one of the attending officers offered me a Mosin Carbine at his cost??? Ok, how much was my next question. He went on to say that he had purchased five of them in a package deal and offered the gun for $60. I jumped on it sight unseen. Next day, he brought me what looked to be an unfired rifle (full of grease) LOL. Cleaning was a chore and I did refinish the stock. The little Mosin quickly became one of my favorite rifles. As far as bang for the buck - it's an all time winner.

dscn0269.jpg   dscn0266.jpg   dscn0267.jpg   dscn0268.jpg  
__________________
PRM is offline  
MoHawk Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #47
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chainfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,601
Liked 1459 Times on 884 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Black. It's Thursday night in the Western Hemisphere

Step back and see a little humor in chasing old obsolete Russian and Chinese guns in the land where you can have the best of them all.
I can tell you a couple or reasons a lot of us baby-boomers have cases of these rifles: When we were growing up, the Soviets promised to bury us. We practiced duck and cover drills in school. Now, I play with their historical artifacts. It is a kind of **** you reaction.

These are factory refurbished bolt action rifles that are extremely reliable, and with a good bore and crown can shoot better than 99% of the riflemen who shoot them.

They are almost all war veterans of the largest and most viscous ground battles ever fought, and they prevailed.

They are quite fun and damn cheap to shoot.

There are many varieties for the collector to hunt for, and you can build a nice WWI/WWII collection without breaking the bank.

If I only wanted functional modern firearms, there would be no reason to have over three guns.
__________________

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Chainfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
chloeshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Great North Woods
Posts: 2,574
Liked 2040 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire
I can tell you a couple or reasons a lot of us baby-boomers have cases of these rifles: When we were growing up, the Soviets promised to bury us. We practiced duck and cover drills in school. Now, I play with their historical artifacts. It is a kind of **** you reaction. These are factory refurbished bolt action rifles that are extremely reliable, and with a good bore and crown can shoot better than 99% of the riflemen who shoot them. They are almost all war veterans of the largest and most viscous ground battles ever fought, and they prevailed. They are quite fun and damn cheap to shoot. There are many varieties for the collector to hunt for, and you can build a nice WWI/WWII collection without breaking the bank. If I only wanted functional modern firearms, there would be no reason to have over three guns.
Here here! LOVE the comment about playing with Russian guns, beings as I too grew up believing we would have "Nuclear combat toe to toe with the Ruskies".
__________________
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!
chloeshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #49
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
surplusaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 88
Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Regular white vinegar works hands down and its all natural. I've used it for years with no issues on corrosive ammo.

__________________
surplusaddict is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:48 AM   #50
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
artbrownsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Anchorage Alaska
Posts: 423
Liked 207 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 352

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by surplusaddict View Post
Regular white vinegar works hands down and its all natural. I've used it for years with no issues on corrosive ammo.
That is acid on acid. How does that work?
__________________

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

artbrownsr is offline  
MoHawk Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Aw, what the heck......... Bob Wright Ruger Handgun Forum 5 11-15-2012 02:22 AM
what the heck do I have here agg54 General Shotgun Discussion 3 10-23-2011 04:20 AM
What the HECK is this?!?? spittinfire The Club House 4 08-11-2009 09:40 PM
What the heck JD??? spittinfire The Club House 7 02-27-2009 02:30 AM