Mosin - Oh, what the heck! - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin - Oh, what the heck!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 207 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman View Post
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/corrosive/

http://www.empirearms.com/clean.htm

There are plenty more sites on the web about this. Read up...

regarding ammonia

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Old 11-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Seems like everyone has a different way of doing it.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2040 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman View Post
Seems like everyone has a different way of doing it.
yep! I say whatever gets it clean, ad does not damage the metal, is a good system. I do believe the tolerances of these rifles allows for a lot of shooting without cleaning.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #44

Liked 2200 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
yep! I say whatever gets it clean, ad does not damage the metal, is a good system. I do believe the tolerances of these rifles allows for a lot of shooting without cleaning.
I still would clean them at the end of a shooting session, because leaving the water attracting salst in there is bad, especially in humid environments. The bore condition is probably one of the biggest differences I've seen in accuracy potential in the Mosins I've owned. One humid overnight with a dirty bore full of corrosive ammo salts, can still contribute to pitting.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:21 AM   #45

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I always heard you had to use ammonia and dish detergent but all I have ever used is hot water. I have 3 mosin nagants and none of them have ever rusted. Most of the ammo thru them is corrosive military surplus whatever. The only time they see the good stuff is if Im hunting with one.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:49 AM   #46
PRM

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

They are great guns. I was instructing a firearms school at our Academy a few years back and one of the attending officers offered me a Mosin Carbine at his cost??? Ok, how much was my next question. He went on to say that he had purchased five of them in a package deal and offered the gun for $60. I jumped on it sight unseen. Next day, he brought me what looked to be an unfired rifle (full of grease) LOL. Cleaning was a chore and I did refinish the stock. The little Mosin quickly became one of my favorite rifles. As far as bang for the buck - it's an all time winner.

dscn0269.jpg   dscn0266.jpg   dscn0267.jpg   dscn0268.jpg  
Old 11-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #47

Liked 1459 Times on 884 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Black. It's Thursday night in the Western Hemisphere

Step back and see a little humor in chasing old obsolete Russian and Chinese guns in the land where you can have the best of them all.
I can tell you a couple or reasons a lot of us baby-boomers have cases of these rifles: When we were growing up, the Soviets promised to bury us. We practiced duck and cover drills in school. Now, I play with their historical artifacts. It is a kind of **** you reaction.

These are factory refurbished bolt action rifles that are extremely reliable, and with a good bore and crown can shoot better than 99% of the riflemen who shoot them.

They are almost all war veterans of the largest and most viscous ground battles ever fought, and they prevailed.

They are quite fun and damn cheap to shoot.

There are many varieties for the collector to hunt for, and you can build a nice WWI/WWII collection without breaking the bank.

If I only wanted functional modern firearms, there would be no reason to have over three guns.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 11-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2040 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire
I can tell you a couple or reasons a lot of us baby-boomers have cases of these rifles: When we were growing up, the Soviets promised to bury us. We practiced duck and cover drills in school. Now, I play with their historical artifacts. It is a kind of **** you reaction. These are factory refurbished bolt action rifles that are extremely reliable, and with a good bore and crown can shoot better than 99% of the riflemen who shoot them. They are almost all war veterans of the largest and most viscous ground battles ever fought, and they prevailed. They are quite fun and damn cheap to shoot. There are many varieties for the collector to hunt for, and you can build a nice WWI/WWII collection without breaking the bank. If I only wanted functional modern firearms, there would be no reason to have over three guns.
Here here! LOVE the comment about playing with Russian guns, beings as I too grew up believing we would have "Nuclear combat toe to toe with the Ruskies".

Old 11-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #49

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Regular white vinegar works hands down and its all natural. I've used it for years with no issues on corrosive ammo.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:48 AM   #50

Liked 207 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by surplusaddict View Post
Regular white vinegar works hands down and its all natural. I've used it for years with no issues on corrosive ammo.
That is acid on acid. How does that work?

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

MoHawk Likes This