Mosin Nagent info please
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin Nagent info please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mosin Nagent info please

Ive been looking around for a whyle for a cheap rifle to start out with, and I ran into (with your help) the marlin xl7, great gun for the price, but I kept looking around, being a russian and MGS fanatic I naturally ran into the Mosin-Nagent,

I know it probably wouldn't stand up to anything modern, but how is it otherwise, I heard the ammo is readily available, (7.62 x 54) and I could find one for around 200, is that accurate? how reliable are they, I have no problem with regular cleaning and maintenance but how (with a lack of better words) durable are they? is there anything I should stay away from?

I will only be using this gun for targets, Im no hunter

side note, my back yard is fairly wooded and I was looking forward to quoting "the end" (MGS) while I shoot targets

Miles

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #2

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Around here the M-N is going for about $125 top price. They are fair rifles and will last a life time if taken care of. One thing you need to make sure of is that they are not warout in the lands and groves. Sense these rifles are older then I am and have been well used like a $2 whore.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
Around here the M-N is going for about $125 top price. They are fair rifles and will last a life time if taken care of. One thing you need to make sure of is that they are not warout in the lands and groves. Sense these rifles are older then I am and have been well used like a $2 whore.
...Im not really sure where that is, your going to have to treat me like a 4 year old with gun terminology, Im really sorry

so if taken care of they can take being fired often, seasonally? I dont want to get a great looking older gun that I cant fire because it will fall apart.

and in trying to narrow down a version, Im looking at the one fifth down from the top, and I believe it matches up (ignoring mods) in the lower pic, what model is that?

Miles

Old 01-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #4

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Check these out

Unless you know what a good bore and rifling looks like, I would take someone that does to pick one out. If you get a good one they are what you are looking for. If you use corosive ammo you need to thoroughly clean as soon as possible after shooting. They have been around forever and withstand tortureous handling and abuse. The balistics resemble a 30.06 and have a pretty good kick when fired. Make sure you don't pick one out that has been counter bored at the muzzle. It is possible to put a scope on them but I myself haven't seen one that has been done with any amount of relyability, not to say it cant be done. You should check this sight out. These look to be some of the better ones. Firearms <<<Click Here

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #5

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

There not going to fall apart they still got many more years left if taken care of. I shoot mine some and really enjoy it.

Up at Knob creek range they go for about $125 give or take a little, knob creek range Is south Louisville Ky.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #6

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 793

So what do you want to know about the Mosin Nagant? The 5th rifle down in the pic is a 91/30 PU sniper. If you are looking for a great shooter, check out these guys.
RGUNS - Bolt Action Rifles
They are the largest importer of 91/30's. The standard 91/30 will out last you if cleaned properly. Recoil on a 91/30 is pretty mild, when you get to the carbines that changes. VG rifles and are capible of good accuracy.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:36 PM   #7

here is a site with lots of good info on these rifles: 7.62x54r.net

Old 01-28-2010, 09:41 PM   #8

Liked 135 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 245

i can second the RGUNS remark as I was just there last night....they have a nice size row and/or selection of these rifles lined up behind the counter...

Old 02-22-2010, 02:30 AM   #9

how do I check for a good bore? and are there any places that might have a 91/30 in or around springfield or Joplin MO?

Miles

Old 02-22-2010, 06:00 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I bought mine back in the summer for 107.00$ in good condition (it also came with everything... like the pouches, sling and bayonet). It is from 1943 and I am impressed with it. Here is opinion on this weapon:

It is easy to break down and understand.

Everything for it is rather cheap. You can buy a curved bolt for around 40$ after market as well as a sniper mount for 30$. A strip clip will cost you maybe 2$. I just saw a bayonet for one today priced at 8$.

A round cost about 20-25 cents a piece.

It is very fun to operate (loading and cocking it).

It is very accurate.

It is like the AK, freakin durable. Not as durable as the AK, but it still can take a beating.

Really and truly, it is an awesome little target shooting gun. Since it takes a little bit to go from shooting one round to the next you will find out that you will not be shooting up all of your ammo as fast compared to something like a M16 or SKS.

All and all, I give it 8/10 if you are using it for recreational purposes.
I give it a 4/10 if you are an infantry man.

ps To answer you question about checking to see if the bore is good.....
They make little flash light things (I forgot what they are called) that you can stick into the gun where the rounds go and then you can look down the barrel and view its condition. Simply look for flat spots or rust. If it all looks the same and if it has a good spiral inside then its bore is good.

Last edited by saviorslegacy; 02-22-2010 at 06:04 AM.