Mosin Nagant yes or no? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin Nagant yes or no?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 01:11 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1096 Times on 656 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760
Not just "yes"... HELL yes!! Get one... get some ammo (surplus is fine, but you can also find current manufactured stuff that is less dirty) but I have two things to add; 1) DO NOT wait to clean it after shooting (especially when using that surplus ammo.. when they say "corrosive"...) and 2) This is a commie issue, WW2 era bitch!! Hold on to her tight when shooting it... cycle the bolt hard to get the next round... and watch out if you have a spotter on your right... It will throw the spent shell into the next county!!
Have fun and be safe!!
Do we have to look these over at Cabelas or should they be fine? Also, what should I look at to make sure it is in good shape? I've never seen one in real life before. We are going there on Thursday the first day of the sale!!!

Old 03-13-2013, 02:12 AM   #22

Liked 696 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 1453

Default Mosin

Okay... The first thing to look at is the bore. Hold the trigger down and turn up & pull the bolt back. It should slide out smoothly... and then hold the barrel up to the light and the bore should be bright and with crisp rifling. The capacity spring should be nice and stiff where the 5 rounds load in.. and check that the cleaning rod pulls free and has no rust on it. Most ones that have hit the market are true surplus (the commies made 17 million just during WW2 alone). After the SKS became standard commie issue, others continued to make them and store them away in anticipation of the Western forces invading. The last one I bought was fresh out of the crate with the cosmoline oil still on it!!

Old 03-13-2013, 02:15 AM   #23

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiegirl

Woah, woah, woah......Fathead already thinks I'm an ATM. Let us not encourage him any further. I think one each would be sufficient.....
Sounds to me like you both need one more...just one I promise!!

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Old 03-13-2013, 02:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760
Okay... The first thing to look at is the bore. Hold the trigger down and turn up & pull the bolt back. It should slide out smoothly... and then hold the barrel up to the light and the bore should be bright and with crisp rifling. The capacity spring should be nice and stiff where the 5 rounds load in.. and check that the cleaning rod pulls free and has no rust on it. Most ones that have hit the market are true surplus (the commies made 17 million just during WW2 alone). After the SKS became standard commie issue, others continued to make them and store them away in anticipation of the Western forces invading. The last one I bought was fresh out of the crate with the cosmoline oil still on it!!
Our friend that has 3 of them, told me to check the serial numbers too. Would you check them?

Old 03-13-2013, 02:40 AM   #25

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
Our friend that has 3 of them, told me to check the serial numbers too. Would you check them?
Matching serial numbers adds $3 in value to the rifle. Seriously, check for matching numbers on receiver, butt plate, bolt, trigger housing (I think) and bayonet. They should all match but the bayo is iffy...many of these rifles ship in crates of 50 or more and the accessories are just bundled in the crate, few dealers go to the trouble of matching them up but if it matches it's gravy.

In addition to what NC said above about checking the bore for good rifling make sure you give the stock a thorough inspection. Look for signs of obvious repair (different wood types or color), cracks, chips, etc. With the bolt out check the sear and trigger for any excess wear or damage. Also check the muzzle for any damage to the crown...these guns were shipped with steel cleaning rods that went in through the muzzle and damaged the rifling, many were counter-bored during armory refurbishment to repair the damage but with 20 million or so rifles in circulation a few may have been missed.

Most important...don't go too crazy trying to find a perfect mint condition rifle, ruggedness and durability are what they were built for, the Mosin Nagant is a minute-of-man shooter at best and half the fun is the flash and the boom. I shoot the bejeezus out of mine, have a blast doing it and hardly get it on paper at over 100 yards.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 03-13-2013 at 02:54 AM.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:47 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

They are awesome rifles and right now the biggest draw is the price of the ammo. It's CHEAP man, and they are such good shooters. I'd buy one for yourself and ZG. The one I have is very accurate, much more so than I'd hoped for. They're easy to break down, sort of a PITA to clean if you use mil-plus ammo, but not really that bad. Just and extra step or two. What other gun can you buy 880 rounds for less than 160 bucks for.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:49 AM   #27

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

Bring a towel to lay the box on on the way home. The cosmo dripped right through the box when i got mine. Made a mess of the counter when i filled out paperwork....haha

Old 03-13-2013, 04:05 AM   #28

Thanks for all the info!! I knew I could count on the FTF family!!!. We are going to buy two on Thursday as long as they are in good condition!

Old 03-13-2013, 04:20 AM   #29

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 2

While I am not going to buy a Mosin now I see them at Cabelas with scopes that may have been sniper rifles.

They make me think of those brave folks that defeated the nazi's at Stalingrad and the Eastern front in WW2.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1602 Times on 1096 Posts
Likes Given: 556

I would not buy a Mosin Nagant online. I went through 2 cases of rifles before I found one that worked like a new rifle. I have a 1930 hex receiver Mosin. Some were shot out. counter bored, stiff actions or a trigger that godzilla coundn't squeeze off. If you can find one locally I would go for it. The more you clean it and the more often you shoot it the better it will shoot. The rifle I have was the ugliest rifle in the box. But the internals looked like new. I can refinish it and fix the ugly but finding an 80 year old rifle that looks like it had never been shot internally takes a lot of leg work.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato