mosin nagant vs vz 24 mauser... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > mosin nagant vs vz 24 mauser...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

I personally was given the invitation to come out and hunt elk with a friend of mine. He hunts them with a .243 and says he has had great success. For my money, however, it seemed a tiny bullet for such an animal so I put my .243 in the safe and started looking for a durable lost cost rifle that would provide a bigger bullet and in the end I couldn't ignore the low low cost and high reliability of the Mosin. I did not like how long, heavy, and cumbersome they are so I decided to hack and slash. It killed me a bit to think that I would only have one and it would be bubbad up but I really wanted shorter and scoped. I ended up removing almost 10" from the barrel, threw it in a monte carlo stock to make it more all weather and provide me with a longer length of pull, used a ceramic based spray paint to dress the steel up and increase rust resistance, and then mounted a scout positioned scope. The scope I chose was not the best choice given its shorter than expected eye relief, but I am so happy with the way this rifle turned out. I also noticed that taking every piece off the rifle and cleaning parts I wouldn't have otherwise has smoothed out the functioning a little. It's not driving tacks but it'll do what it was bought for. I couldn't help myself though, knowing I would be cutting and gutting this one, I bought two!!! For those of you who threw up in your mouth a little when I described the surgery the first Mosin went through, relax, I left one exactly as was and I enjoy shooting it almost as much as the scout Nagant!

Old 11-03-2012, 01:57 AM   #12

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werminator View Post
I personally was given the invitation to come out and hunt elk with a friend of mine. He hunts them with a .243 and says he has had great success. For my money, however, it seemed a tiny bullet for such an animal so I put my .243 in the safe and started looking for a durable lost cost rifle that would provide a bigger bullet and in the end I couldn't ignore the low low cost and high reliability of the Mosin. I did not like how long, heavy, and cumbersome they are so I decided to hack and slash. It killed me a bit to think that I would only have one and it would be bubbad up but I really wanted shorter and scoped. I ended up removing almost 10" from the barrel, threw it in a monte carlo stock to make it more all weather and provide me with a longer length of pull, used a ceramic based spray paint to dress the steel up and increase rust resistance, and then mounted a scout positioned scope. The scope I chose was not the best choice given its shorter than expected eye relief, but I am so happy with the way this rifle turned out. I also noticed that taking every piece off the rifle and cleaning parts I wouldn't have otherwise has smoothed out the functioning a little. It's not driving tacks but it'll do what it was bought for. I couldn't help myself though, knowing I would be cutting and gutting this one, I bought two!!! For those of you who threw up in your mouth a little when I described the surgery the first Mosin went through, relax, I left one exactly as was and I enjoy shooting it almost as much as the scout Nagant!
OK, I was the long winded one here!
I'll 1st say, there is no scout Nagant. That was a revolver. No way to make it scout. Someone would say it, so I figured I would. Not anything bad on your part. Stating the arms you own shows a limited level of experience. Not a bad thing overall also. Your just proud and happy to become part of a dwindling fraturnaty, and we are happy to have you. Where we part ways is the capibility of the 91/30 platform, weather sportered or not, of taking game in the realm of a modern heavy game NA rifle. Is the 91/30 capible? It is within effective range, not talking the cartridge. We are talking a rifle that was made for minute of man, not a 9" target at 400 yards. 200 yards, it is getting closer. 100 yards, more like it. I love the 91/30 and all its' children. But be realistic. The VZ24 on the other hand, if it shoots high can be fitted w/ the same blade front sight for Swede M96's. The dovetail is the same. Can't fault your reason, just don't agree w/ the outcome.

Edit: I'd love to see that M70 .243!!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 11-03-2012 at 02:00 AM.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:11 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have a Mosin, that is sporterized. The barrel was cut down, the stock cut way down, in front, exposing the barrel. It has custom front sight on it that works with the standard rear sight. I shot my first Elk with this rifle at age of 12. My dad owned it, and it is beat to crap. Now that I have it, I plan to clean it up, and start shooting it again. I just picked up two tuna cans, of ammo for it, at the last local gun show.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #14

Patterson... I have to admit my motivation of converting the 91/30 to my interpretation of the cooper scout rifle concept was mostly a tinkering project that would impress some of my friends. Yes, I have only been hot and heavy in shooting and hunting for a few years but I was unaware it was showing. I do want to see what I can do with my shortened mosin in terms of rounds on paper but I don't expect the same precision I have gotten from my m70. It wasn't built for that originally and I am not sinking the kind of money it would require into it. See what I can do about pictures later. Mosin project turned out nice IMHO.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #15

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Quote:
Patterson... I have to admit my motivation of converting the 91/30 to my interpretation of the cooper scout rifle concept was mostly a tinkering project that would impress some of my friends. Yes, I have only been hot and heavy in shooting and hunting for a few years but I was unaware it was showing. I do want to see what I can do with my shortened mosin in terms of rounds on paper but I don't expect the same precision I have gotten from my m70. It wasn't built for that originally and I am not sinking the kind of money it would require into it. See what I can do about pictures later. Mosin project turned out nice IMHO.
I am interested as to your results. I gave a Hungarian M44 to my son a few years ago, gave him his pick of 3 rifles for his birthday. It was a very accurate rifle. Sometimes barrel length and loss of velocity are not the most important consideration, as in your case. The Finns did allot of accurizing of the M91,91/30 platform. Here are few links to give you some more ideas:
http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/finland.html

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinTheOp.htm#Cut

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #16

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I have fired both, Mauser & Mosin, Like them both for accuracy but the Mauser no doubt is of somewhat higher manufacturing quality. I disliked the trigger of the Mosin and replaced it with a Hubers Concept trigger and it is a honey ! I think it would be suitable for a rhino or elephant but
I only hunt Texas game.

NRA Lifer Since 1968
Former USMC
Former Texas NG

Old 11-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #17

jpatterson, thank you for the link. I am going to see where I am on the Mosin (which I tried to make a Jeff Cooper scout concept rifle, not quite there due to weight and lack of BUIS) and perhaps continue accurizing. My initial 10 rounds at 80 yards were within about an inch and a half to an inch and three quarters but the recoil loosened the original mount quickly (first Loctite, then shoot!!!). I am very interested in the accuracy your M44 provided. The shorter rifle appealed to me in many ways but when I decided I was going to cut, I wanted to do so on a rifle with significantly less rarity and collectibility. Also, I would love to see some pictures if you have them available. I have no experience with a Mauser so I am not much of a reference there but I have friends who have borrowed a couple different models from parents and they have reported very positive results! I have seen a couple Mausers I have drooled over but I am not yet a collector, I just buy em cause I want to use or abuse em, so I held on to my coin!

Old 11-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #18

I checked out the links you sent and the Finnish variations of the rifle certainly seem to have more desireable features. More went in to many of those than did my 40s era 91/30s. The match rifle made from Mosins looks especially interesting. I wonder how accurate those were. I assume they were using Finnish and not Russian barrels.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6607 Times on 3681 Posts
Likes Given: 6264

Quote:
I checked out the links you sent and the Finnish variations of the rifle certainly seem to have more desireable features. More went in to many of those than did my 40s era 91/30s. The match rifle made from Mosins looks especially interesting. I wonder how accurate those were. I assume they were using Finnish and not Russian barrels.

And Finnish ammunition! Even the Russian barrels can shine with the Finnish mmo.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill