Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   mosin nagant vs vz 24 mauser... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/mosin-nagant-vs-vz-24-mauser-75455/)

Armed-Citizen 11-01-2012 06:37 PM

mosin nagant vs vz 24 mauser...

Mosin nagant- lower priced
lower priced ammo

cons-
somewhat rugged to the point of clunky

mauser- nice design
8mm
smoother operation
cons-lack of ammo availability (commercially)
twice the price of a mosin nagant in my area

anyone have something to say in respect to one of these....at the point of buying one today or tomorrow depending weather conditions and work....which would be ,ore ideal first?
thanks in advance

texaswoodworker 11-01-2012 07:29 PM

Honestly, you pretty much have it figured out. The only thing I can add is that the VZ will be more accurate than the Mosin if it's in a good condition. Pick the one YOU want, or buy them both. :D

cottontop 11-01-2012 07:44 PM

Without question: the Mauser.
cottontop

locutus 11-01-2012 08:19 PM

If you're wanting something to sporterize, Mauser.

For just a plain, rugged, throw in the back of the truck rifle, Mosin

Armed-Citizen 11-01-2012 09:07 PM

its a tough call. also, im not not high on funds. and the low price for mosin nagant ammo is really calling me...also that theres sp ammo for it available sounds like a good deer rifle and the like....i believe we have reached a conclusion.........

c3shooter 11-01-2012 09:23 PM

The Mauser is, to me, anyway, a better rifle. Smoother action. There IS plenty of commercial 8mm Mauser hunting type ammo around. Shop, you can find milsurp 8mm.

Other than that. you pretty much got it covered. Pays yer money, takes yer pick.

vincent 11-01-2012 09:23 PM

The Mosin prices are creeping up...$139 for a round receiver at one of my LGS's...If it's a money choice I'd get one while they're still fairly inexpensive...

jpattersonnh 11-01-2012 11:55 PM

The Mauser is far superior. It is easier to break the bolt down, much higher quality, hands down more accurate. The VZ24 is a great example of pre WWII craftsmanship and a great rifle. If it has a good bore, buy it. If you are talking $250.00 it is worth more then that. Before you buy it ask if you can test the bore. Take the bolt out and hand it to them. Ask for an 8x57 cartridge and put it in the muzzle. If it drops in to the brass, get the Mosin Nagant. If it only goes in 1/3 to 1/2 way, buy it.

Chainfire 11-02-2012 12:19 AM

A Mosin-Nagant with a good bore, will shoot better then 99% of the riflemen who shoot them. They are not nearly as pretty as the Mauser, but the Mosins are tough as nails, and will shoot every time you pull the trigger. The accuracy is as good as is needed for hunting or shooting Germans (if the case arises) The last ammo I bought was $150.00/880 rounds, which means I can afford to shoot it until I grow tired of shooting, without breaking the bank.

If money is tight, buy a Mosin-Nagant and a case of ammo. Later, as funds improve, buy the Mauser. Neither of the rifles are going to disappear from the market any time soon.

Which ever you decide on, you will have a lot of fun with them.

nitestalker 11-02-2012 12:38 AM

Buy the Mdl. 98 Mauser. Learn to handload the 7.92X57 and you will really enjoy a classic rifle.Make sure you inspect the bolt face and bore. The Mauser will have 1 1/2 calibers of lead in the throat that is normal check the muzzle for wear.;)