Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin Nagant sight adjustment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default Mosin Nagant sight adjustment

One of the major "problems" I noticed with my new Mosin is the sight is off. It looks like it is still in the same spot when it was staked in '39-'45, but as you can see from the picture, it is clearly way off center. It almost looks like the bead was bent to compensate for this? I'm at a loss of what to do. Center it? Buy a new one? Shoot it to see if its really off?

imag0418.jpg  

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-19-2011, 12:18 AM   #2

I'd shoot it! Could be dead nuts, I sure wouldn't move it before I figured out how close it is. Besides I'd have to shoot it anyway to see which way to move it.

Good Luck!

"The older I get, The better I was"

Old 05-19-2011, 12:54 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5285 Times on 2756 Posts
Likes Given: 333

both my mosins are dead on. one is a standard 91/30 the other a sniper varient with the pu scope. those ruskie arsenal monkeys know what they are doing. its prolly 100% dead on. my sniper mosin was rearsenaled in the early 60's and sat in cosmoline for longer than i have been alive and the first string was dead nuts on target. i dont think there is a scope/rifle maker that could achieve that with modern gear in todays world.

those old mosins were meant to be picked up fired a bunch used as clubs and spears or tent poles or pry bars and still hold zero.

shoot it im sure you will be pleasently surprised.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-19-2011, 02:35 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

OK. I guess I'll leave it alone.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 05-19-2011, 02:39 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5285 Times on 2756 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
OK. I guess I'll leave it alone.
just shoot it before you do anything it wont reduce the value any.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #6

2004 - Ok! your post got me to wondering so I dug out my two 91/30 tack drivers.

Years ago a dealer buddy of mine bought 10 of them. We shot them all and I wanted the the most accurate one. Only problem was that 2 of them were outstanding rifles, so I bought both.

I could not have told you how the front sights lined up with the bbl. Never had to adjust them, never really thought about it.

Looking at them today, they look about like yours. In fact the one on the left looks way worse than yours. The sight don't line up with the base on either side! I KNOW these 2 are dead nuts with the brass cased, (I think its Albanian) surplus heavy ball ammo.

Anyhow, I learned something new today. Thanks, Ken

"The older I get, The better I was"

Last edited by kenhesr; 05-19-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: spelig erer!

Old 05-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #7

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 675

My K31, 24/47's, 91/30's, Swedes all look the same way. The bases are soldered on by a human, not a machine. Something imperfect to be made to shoot well is a work of art.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:07 PM   #8

The witness marks are dead on Though. Go figure.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Mine is the exact same way. Shoots fantastic, and a friend has one too that is that was as well and it shoots great.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:49 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Its nice to know I'm not alone on the subject. It just seemed really wrong when I looked it over . I mean, its not even close to being dead center. If it wasn't staked, I probably wouldn't have even brought up the subject here.

As always, FTF is the best with knowledge and experience.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!