Mosin nagant shoots crooked

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin nagant shoots crooked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mosin nagant shoots crooked

I got a Mosin the i fired and it shot very crooked. So i hung it on my wall and havent touched it since. I would like to start shooting it or fix it if i can. Does anyone have an idea with where i should start. Headspace, do i need a new barrel, is it just trash...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

You have to explain "shot crooked". Did it shoot consistently to one side or the other (adjust/drift the front sight)? High or Low?

My Mosin Nagant shot very high at 100 yards, someone makes a quick fix for that.

TXnorton

Old 03-16-2010, 11:24 PM   #3

by crooked i mean when it hits paper it leaves a tear like it was going through the air crooked

Old 03-17-2010, 02:43 AM   #4

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Look at the muzzle, Is it bored larger than the rest of the barrel? Are there any nicks or dings on the muzzle crown? If not you can probably hang it back on the wall. If it is counter bored it's likely it is shot out or badly corroded. It can be recrowned but you can get another cheap enough to not bother with it. They are a piece of History and can be quite the conversation piece. You can always take it down and clean it when young gentlemen come calling on your daughter.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:32 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Sounds like it is keyholing. Look down the bore and see if there is any rifling left.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:49 AM   #6

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertip 44 View Post
Sounds like it is keyholing. Look down the bore and see if there is any rifling left.
Make sure it is unloaded first....

Old 03-17-2010, 10:53 AM   #7

if it is keyholing, would putting another barrel on it be ok? If so any good places to start looking for barrels? I would like to shoot this one but plan on getting another anyway.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #8

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 756

If the crown is bad, you can have it recut. If the rifling looks good, but it swallows a bullet at the bore, have it counterbored. A new barrel will cost as much as a new rifle.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.