Mosin Nagant Scope Question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin Nagant Scope Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mosin Nagant Scope Question

I just bought a mosin nagant m91/30 for cheap and decided to turn it into a hog rifle and i was curious about the type of scope mount to use. I was looking at knocking off the rear sight and putting these on it http://www.amazon.com/NcStar-RB27-1-Ring-3-Dovetail-High/dp/B000T3SO56/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1322361413&sr=8-6

is that a good way to go?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-27-2011, 01:41 AM   #2

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Blasphemer!!!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 11-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

A lot of people use a side mount for standard scopes on the nagant, which requires the bolt handle be turned down in order to clear the scope. I have seen people use a forward mount which mounts on the rear sight (sight parts removed), and works well with scout and reflex optics. There are rail versions as well as the one pictured. There is also a mount which requires the front ring be drilled and tapped as well as the bolt handle modification. Cost of parts for these things is usually pretty low, I suggest getting a good gun smith to drill and tap and do the bolt modifications. Not getting the holes lined up and straight will make your scope crooked, and a poorly done bolt handle can break off.

nagant-side-mount.jpg   nagant-scout.jpg   nagant-mount.jpg  

Old 11-27-2011, 03:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilder
A lot of people use a side mount for standard scopes on the nagant, which requires the bolt handle be turned down in order to clear the scope. I have seen people use a forward mount which mounts on the rear sight (sight parts removed), and works well with scout and reflex optics. There are rail versions as well as the one pictured. There is also a mount which requires the front ring be drilled and tapped as well as the bolt handle modification. Cost of parts for these things is usually pretty low, I suggest getting a good gun smith to drill and tap and do the bolt modifications. Not getting the holes lined up and straight will make your scope crooked, and a poorly done bolt handle can break off.
Thanks wilder. I really didn't want to permanently do anything to the rifle but i was considering buying a new bolt assembly and getting it redone but I think for now I'm going to go with the scout style mount.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Old 11-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5659 Times on 2956 Posts
Likes Given: 374

little on the pricey side but its a good bolt handle

https://www.buymilsurp.com/bolt-body-bent-9130-pu-sniper-mosin-nagant-rifle-p-75.html

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #6

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1212

The entire rear sight comes off. There is a 3/8 dovetail mount underneath. If you knock the pins out the sight just taps forward off of the receiver. I mounted a pistol scope on mine like that. Then when you decide you want to go back it is no big deal.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #7

I wouldnt do the scout mount i had one on my mosin nagant and it never kept a consistent shot group hell never hit paper waisted alot of money on it mainly ammo tryin to get it going after 200 rounds it is in the epic fail pile plus time was waisted, plus i had to get huge zip tie to keep it held down. Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Get er drilled n tap a classic P/U scope would look good or if ur finacialy tight the 3rd of his photos is an excelent choice to but ya scout mount no.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
I haven't seen anything like that. So you just put in the Bolt handle piece in your own assembly, without altering your original handle?
Could you use that bolt handle with the mount in wilder's 3rd picture. What type of mount is that?

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Old 11-28-2011, 03:35 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I've never seen that prefab bolt body before either. looks like it would save you money on having a smith modify your existing bolt. You may need to remove wood (or plastic as the case may be) under the bolt handle so it can close all the way.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:37 AM   #10

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I took mine out the other day and hit three shots in a row at 100 yards with about a 7 inch spread. (We used a pumpkin). Open sights. I wouldn't change a thing. I love that gun.

12FRETTER