Mosin-Nagant; Is This Saying Anything? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin-Nagant; Is This Saying Anything?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I saw one at the used section of my LGS today picking up my new AR. It cost only 200 euros, but the wood was still gorgeous (it had light wood with darker wood swirls within). I did not have a camera though. Maybe next time if it is still there. There was even a bayonet that looked brand new. I almost took the gun home too, but I would need permission from German government since it is a "weapon of war". It took a long time for permission for my AR.

Last edited by Jagermeister; 04-25-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #12

Liked 1487 Times on 899 Posts
Likes Given: 347

The Mosin-Nagant is the rifle that beat the German Master-race in WWII, and the rifle that the Finns used to attain a kill rate of 40 to 1 fighting Russians. It deserves a bit of respect for that. I have several that are over 100 years old and are still reliable, functional accurate weapons. It is the longest serving military weapons system of recent times, starting in the 19th century, serving the entire 20th century, and still appears in fights in the 21st.

An M-28/30 or M-39 in the hands of an expert rifleman can hold its own against the '03, or the Mauser. One of the most sucessful snipers ever, used a Mosin-Nagant rifle to kill over 500 Russians in about 90 days, and without a telescopic sight.

Collectors in the '60s and '70s could buy '03s, Enfields, Mausers, Arisakas and the rest for under $50.00 and sometimes under $20.00 because they were considered cheap junk. Mosin-Nagant rifles seem to be following the same trend. In the five years I have been collecting most of my Mosin rifles have tripled in value. As soon as the Mosin supply dries up, and it will, the price will go through the roof.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 04-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #13

Liked 718 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 743

You guys are missing one small fact, There are Finn Mosin Nagants also. $400.00 for a m27 carbine or high priced M39.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #14

Liked 713 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Yeah. The Mosin just flat sucks.

Okay, never mind. I was wrong.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

People Like This 
Old 04-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Last night I watched a show on the Military Channel about the top 10 battle rifles of all time. The Mosin wasn't even on the list. Doesn't that say something about inferiority of the Mosin? The 1903 Springfield was #8, and the M98 Mauser was #6. Surprisingly, the old British Lee-Enfield was #3.
ct
Really? If you don't like something, be a man and just not get one. Instead, you are trying to tell people who do enjoy Mosins that their rifle is crap. Thats your OPINION. Starting a thread like this just to bash the Mosin is immature.

FYI,

Vasily Zaytsev-242 confirmed kills. The real number could be closer to 500 kills.

Lyudmila Pavlichenko-309 confirmed kills.

Simo Häyhä-705 confirmed kills. 505 of those were with a rifle aka the Mosin Nagant.

All used a Mosin Nagant.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 04-25-2013 at 09:37 PM.
People Like This 
Old 04-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Really? If you don't like something, be a man and just not get one. Instead, you are trying to tell people who do enjoy Mosins that their rifle is crap. Thats your OPINION. Starting a thread like this just to bash the Mosin is immature.

FYI,

Vasily Zaytsev-242 confirmed kills. The real number could be closer to 500 kills.

Simo Häyhä-705 confirmed kills. 505 of those were with a rifle aka the Mosin Nagant.

All used a Mosin Nagant.

:...ct

Old 04-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #17

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts

Mosinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn powaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #18
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1200 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 579

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Then too many people are making it something that it is not, based on it's current popularity; or is the extremely low price the reason for it's popularity? I have seen them going up in price in recent weeks. My LGS has 3 of them for $400 each. Logic would say that when the price goes up, as it surely will, then it's popularity will go down. However, I predict that the Mosin's popularity will remain the same or even increase in popularity no matter what the price as it's place in the market has already been established. But, I wouldn't have one if it was free.
ct
The only reason that it has become popular is the cheap price of the weapon and ammo.
I feel the same way that you do Cotton,You couldn't give me a truckload of them along with two truckloads of surplus ammo for them. I just have no love for the Mosin,nor many other military surplus weapons.
The Mosin craze is the same as the SKS was several years ago,you could buy them all day long for $75-100 for a long time.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #19

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post

The only reason that it has become popular is the cheap price of the weapon and ammo.
I feel the same way that you do Cotton,You couldn't give me a truckload of them along with two truckloads of surplus ammo for them. I just have no love for the Mosin,nor many other military surplus weapons.
The Mosin craze is the same as the SKS was several years ago,you could buy them all day long for $75-100 for a long time.
Leave............

Old 04-25-2013, 11:36 PM   #20
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1200 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 579

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post

FYI,

All used a Mosin Nagant.
TW,I guess I'll be immature,I can't stand those damn rifles!

I consider owning a Mosin to be about the same as Someone riding a moped or Doing a fat girl. It's all fine and dandy until your friends see you!