Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Mosin-Nagant; Is This Saying Anything? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/mosin-nagant-saying-anything-89548/)

cottontop 04-25-2013 01:22 PM

Mosin-Nagant; Is This Saying Anything?

Last night I watched a show on the Military Channel about the top 10 battle rifles of all time. The Mosin wasn't even on the list. Doesn't that say something about inferiority of the Mosin? The 1903 Springfield was #8, and the M98 Mauser was #6. Surprisingly, the old British Lee-Enfield was #3.
ct

therewolf 04-25-2013 02:24 PM

While, IMO, the Mosin stands in a class by itself,

it's understandable that it doesn't rate well with

comparison to "the best". To be fair, while solid,

it's outstanding features were very common,

and it's safety was an epic failure which hasn't

been emulated since. It's heavy, unelegant,

and was specifically built for illiterate conscripts and

farmers. While it succeeded well in it's role, this hardly

makes it a weapon for a "best" list.

Many folks don't realize that the Mosin was

used on both sides of the battlefield,

during both world wars, when

thousands of Russian troops were killed and captured.

The German war department even assigned it a

proprietary model designation, for use in lower priority

guard and training situations.

There were many milsurps which were far worse.

The Italian Carcano, for instance.

cottontop 04-25-2013 02:42 PM

Then too many people are making it something that it is not, based on it's current popularity; or is the extremely low price the reason for it's popularity? I have seen them going up in price in recent weeks. My LGS has 3 of them for $400 each. Logic would say that when the price goes up, as it surely will, then it's popularity will go down. However, I predict that the Mosin's popularity will remain the same or even increase in popularity no matter what the price as it's place in the market has already been established. But, I wouldn't have one if it was free.
ct

Axxe55 04-25-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cottontop (Post 1226646)
Then too many people are making it something that it is not, based on it's current popularity; or is the extremely low price the reason for it's popularity? I have seen them going up in price in recent weeks. My LGS has 3 of them for $400 each. Logic would say that when the price goes up, as it surely will, then it's popularity will go down. However, I predict that the Mosin's popularity will remain the same or even increase in popularity no matter what the price as it's place in the market has already been established. But, I wouldn't have one if it was free.
ct

i think a lot of it's popularity comes from the fact that so many were made, they use to sell them pretty cheap and the ammo was cheap.

there was one gun store where i lived that had a barrel of them. they ranged from $79 to $99.

they have reasonable power, decent accuracy, and they are a solid built rifle.

$400! persoanlly i'd like to have one, but there is no way i would give more than $150 for one.

vincent 04-25-2013 02:52 PM

Like I said in the other thread, $400 each is a ripoff...

Some like the Mosin, some not so much...personal choice

Can't deny the 'cool factor', historical significance, big bad bang and sore shoulder...;)

Not a thing wrong with a good Mosin, all it'll do is shoot, shoot, shoot...then outlive you, your kids and grandkids...(if cared for properly)

Not many other large caliber rifle you can get, WITH 440 rounds of ammo, and a pile of goodies for under $250.

Don't like 'em? That's cool...more for me!! :D

cottontop 04-25-2013 02:53 PM

Regarding the Military Channel and it's ranking of rifles, these rankings are their arbitrary picks and really mean nothing. They are just entertaining and they have to have some substance for a show. These are opinions, nothing more. I remember one episode where they did a comparison of the Mosin to the, I believe, M98 Mauser. The Mauser won, but the Mosin was a close second, at least the way they presented it. So why was the Mosin not included this time? Who knows? It is comparable to The MLB Channel and their picks of "The All Time Nine Best Catchers in MLB History." My choice was Mickey Cochrane for the #1 spot, but he was somewhere in the middle of the list. Two differing opinions, both with credibility, yet no clear cut winners. The same holds true with rifle rankings. But, it is still fun to debate and no one can take your opinion from you, and you are free to own the rifle you want.
ct

vincent 04-25-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 1226652)
i think a lot of it's popularity comes from the fact that so many were made, they use to sell them pretty cheap and the ammo was cheap.

there was one gun store where i lived that had a barrel of them. they ranged from $79 to $99.

they have reasonable power, decent accuracy, and they are a solid built rifle.

$400! persoanlly i'd like to have one, but there is no way i would give more than $150 for one.

You used to live in a gun store???

Damn Axxe, you're hard core!!!!:D

Axxe55 04-25-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent (Post 1226660)
You used to live in a gun store???

Damn Axxe, you're hard core!!!!:D

i wish! i meant in the town where i live!:p

vincent 04-25-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 1226663)
i wish! i meant in the town where i live!:p

Heh heh...:D I know buddy I'm just bustin' yer nuggets :p

therewolf 04-25-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cottontop (Post 1226657)
Regarding the Military Channel and it's ranking of rifles, these rankings are their arbitrary picks and really mean nothing. They are just entertaining and they have to have some substance for a show. These are opinions, nothing more. I remember one episode where they did a comparison of the Mosin to the, I believe, M98 Mauser. The Mauser won, but the Mosin was a close second, at least the way they presented it. So why was the Mosin not included this time? Who knows? It is comparable to The MLB Channel and their picks of "The All Time Nine Best Catchers in MLB History." My choice was Mickey Cochrane for the #1 spot, but he was somewhere in the middle of the list. Two differing opinions, both with credibility, yet no clear cut winners. The same holds true with rifle rankings. But, it is still fun to debate and no one can take your opinion from you, and you are free to own the rifle you want.
ct

Now, if you were to compare battle rifles

by their influence on history, I would

wager the Mosin would be in the top 6 with

the Mauser,the Brown Bess, the Enfield,

the Garand, and the Arisaka.

Now, my Mosins are not only an important

part of my collection, but I also use the M44 carbines

to hunt wild boar. Don't underestimate these rifles as

collector's items, but also as very fun range shooters,

and very passable brush guns.

Before you pass final judgment, OP, try one at the range.

At first, I thought they wouldn't be that great, either...

PS-get a recoil pad, it softens recoil, but more importantly

extends LOP, for increased accuracy.;)