Mosin Nagant questions - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin Nagant questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinprogress View Post
Alright, you guys keep answering all my questions and then create new ones for me to ask. How do you clean these rifles compared to normal?
cosmoline or after shooting?

After shooting many people get very hot water(boiling?) and pour it down the barrel, Chamber first, The hot water dries faster and loosens the corrosive salts easier, Dry, Lightly oil, It may not hurt to run a brush through the bore as well.

Cosmoline, That can be a pain, My rifle didnt have much on it, But the bolt needed some help there, I took it apart and had my oven set to 175 heated it up turned it off and put the parts in on a plate with cloth.
There are all sorts of ideas about removing cosmoline, Try a google search and see what you like the best.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #12

Damn I am gonna get two rifles and 880 rounds of ammo from that site!

Old 03-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #13

Liked 699 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinprogress View Post
Alright, you guys keep answering all my questions and then create new ones for me to ask. How do you clean these rifles compared to normal?

A bit of boiling water down the bore, and clean like any other rifle.

This is a C&R topic

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 03-17-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:58 AM   #14

I clean mine with boiling water down the barrel then Hopps no9 on everything else. I also take apart the bolt assembly every once in awhile and boil it in hot water for a couple mins too. They are pretty easy and painless to clean and take apart. For purchasing one i would look at Aim as previously posted and J&G sales. If your lucky you can get your hands on a Polish or Finnish Mosin, They are the Cadillacs of Mosin Nagant rifles. Anyway you go with it good luck and have fun.

A person who owns a firearm is a free man,A person who dosen't is a slave to there Country.Think about it.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:06 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I see a lot of posts about cleaning the rifle after shooting with boiling water and even though you dry the water you are heating the barrel with water and then when it cools after you clean it you are allowing the gun to condensate and create more water. I would just stay away from water completely with guns. I use windex with Ammonia. The ammonia and alkalinic state of Windex neutralizes the salts from the primer. The only thing the ammonia does to the metal is dry it out, which can easily be solved by running an oiled patch through it. Then you don't have to meticulously make sure the gun is dry and won't rust. All you need to do is hit a patch with the same amount of windex as you would gun oil and you're set. Make sure you windex any metal part of the gun that the powder could have made contact with. Really not that complex at all.

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I fear no evil, for I am the meanest mother F***** in the valley!....oorah