Mosin Nagant questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin Nagant questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mosin Nagant questions

I was at Dunham's last night looking for the girlfriend's birthday gift (Savage bolt in .223). While there I took a look at some of the older rifles they had up for sale. One was a Mosin Nagant 91/30 on sale for $90. I know that they shoot the 7.62 x 54 ammo but was wondering if there is a specific type this rifle will shoot and where can I get surplus if that's what it needs? Also, what should I be looking for on one of these rifles to see if it's in good shape? I'm guessing this was a good price because what rifle can you get for under $100 these days.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The ammo that it uses is 7.62 X 54 R or Russian. As for surplus I don't know.
F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 03-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

AIM Surplus Home

Russian 1891/30 7.62x54R Mosin Nagant Rifles

Romanian 7.62x54R 149grn Silver Tip 440rd Can

It's where I got mine:

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinprogress View Post
I was at Dunham's last night looking for the girlfriend's birthday gift (Savage bolt in .223). While there I took a look at some of the older rifles they had up for sale. One was a Mosin Nagant 91/30 on sale for $90. I know that they shoot the 7.62 x 54 ammo but was wondering if there is a specific type this rifle will shoot and where can I get surplus if that's what it needs? Also, what should I be looking for on one of these rifles to see if it's in good shape? I'm guessing this was a good price because what rifle can you get for under $100 these days.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Some believe the Hex receiver MN rifles have a better fit and finish, I have a 1942 round receiver MN that is in real good shape, I paid $130 for mine with, Tax, Background check, 100 rounds of ammo.

Viola!

Did the rifle you look at come with all the accessories?
I have been reloading my 7.62x54r and have had good results, I'm not 100% set on the sights yet, But I hope to get that squared away this summer.
Best of luck

Old 03-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #5

It did not have any with it and the guy behind the counter didn't mention any. The stock also looked a bit rougher than the one's that you guys have. I may go to AIMS, $70 with shipping and transfer wouldn't be too bad at all.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #6

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
The ammo that it uses is 7.62 X 54 R or Russian. As for surplus I don't know.
F.K.
The R means Rimmed!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #7

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

You can buy nice arsenal refurbs at Aim Surplus with all the accessories for $69 + shipping. Might as well buy a can of 7.62 x 54R russian light ball 440 rounds for $79.95 while your at it. $149.90 for both + shipping + FFL fees. I got 3 91/30s for $270 including shipping and dealer fees. The ammo was under $97 total.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:45 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Regardless of the price and stock condition workinprogress, you want to check the bore and barrell. These are by far the most important parts with these rifles. You want to make sure the crown is in good condition and that the barrell has styrong rifleing. This helps to ensure you get one that shoots accurately. With these rifles there's really no consistency with how well they shoot. I have a 1926 hex receiver 91/30 that shoots 1/2" groups at 100yds, and a 1944 round receiver that looks almost identical that shoots a 4" group at 100yds. Surplus ammo can be found just about anywhere online. Just remember when you are buying surplus that these rounds are Berdan primed and corrosive. You will have to clean this gun differently than others because of the salts in the primer. Other than all that it's an awesome gun to shoot and I absolutely love mine. For the price of surplus ammo, it's hard not to get one. Here's the most popular and best information site I have found about the Mosins. Enjoy!

7.62x54r.net

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I fear no evil, for I am the meanest mother F***** in the valley!....oorah

Old 03-17-2011, 10:43 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
The R means Rimmed!
My Bad we learn something new every day.
F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 03-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #10

Alright, you guys keep answering all my questions and then create new ones for me to ask. How do you clean these rifles compared to normal?