Mosin Nagant Q's - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin Nagant Q's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 700 Times on 480 Posts
Likes Given: 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever View Post
Nothing beats a wood and steal firearm, and yes that means the polymer wonders too . If the old warhorses could talk I would have countless hours of enjoyment listening to their history and what part they played.

A while back someone offered me $700 for my Arisaka Type 38 (I think that's what it is not sure exactly), and he wanted to cut down the barrel, put a bipod on it, and all that, and I said no in a heartbeat. I may not shoot it at all due to hard ammo to find, but it deserves better than being cut down and modified. In addition it was my grandfather's, who was a navy seal that was stationed in Japan after WWII.

He was a frog man. There were no Seals till after Vietnam. My Uncle William Lemkin was a Frog Man and set the explosives on Omaha. He spent 2 days in the water before the invasion. The landing craft missed the true beach by 1.5 miles, according to my uncle.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:47 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Huh, I'm gonna have to ask him again what he was. I could've sworn he was a Seal, but I'll have to ask him now .

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 08-29-2011, 11:04 PM   #13

Liked 1365 Times on 838 Posts
Likes Given: 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Yeah,guys,

we're talking milsurp here.

Sure, there are exceptions. And I'm

not in the least implying you should destroy

the history for any rifle you hold dear.

Obviously, we all know that "sporterizing" a

gun generally brings it's dollar value roughly

within the range of dog poop. But one of the

really fun things about milsurp is there is so much of it,

and a mod which an individual prefers, which they are happy

with, is going to bring a more meaningful range experience.

I know it has for me.
I guess I just don't get it. Your buy an obsolete, surplus military rifle and try to make what out of it with the changes?

It doesn't shoot any better and a Mosin ain't gonna win any beauty contests now matter how you dress it up.

To me it seems like painting on a boxcar; sure you personalize it, but I think it says more about the painter than the message he is trying to get across.

The up-side to "modernizing" is, the more rifles that are ruined, the more valuable mine will be later. Some of these guns have already gained in value from $50.00 just a few years ago to the mid three hundreds. Try making that kind of money in the stock market.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 08-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #14

So ok, this can of worms has run its course....

DOnt think i asked for opinions on wether or not TO sporty it... But thanx for your input anyways.

I wanna buy 3 rifles. 1 i will for sure keep original, but cleaned up. The other 2 i will do as i damn well please because they are MINE, bought with MY money, and i will use MY time to do it. Not trying to be pissy here, but i know i am coming acroos as such. My apologies if this offends. Not meant to.

I too appreciate some of the older weapons of war. But my pocket book doesnt. And a rifle that weighs less and is shorter by 6 inches is what i need for a friend of mine and my fiancee. So the mosin is a great weapon that would suit this purpose wonderfully. But it needs some work first.

Thanx to all.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:14 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I asked him and found out that he was a Navy Seebee. My mistake for saying he was a Seal .

-Confederate Soldier

-Unknown

-Wyatt Earp

Old 08-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #16

Liked 1365 Times on 838 Posts
Likes Given: 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropy View Post
So ok, this can of worms has run its course....

DOnt think i asked for opinions on wether or not TO sporty it... But thanx for your input anyways.

I wanna buy 3 rifles. 1 i will for sure keep original, but cleaned up. The other 2 i will do as i damn well please because they are MINE, bought with MY money, and i will use MY time to do it. Not trying to be pissy here, but i know i am coming acroos as such. My apologies if this offends. Not meant to.

I too appreciate some of the older weapons of war. But my pocket book doesnt. And a rifle that weighs less and is shorter by 6 inches is what i need for a friend of mine and my fiancee. So the mosin is a great weapon that would suit this purpose wonderfully. But it needs some work first.

Thanx to all.
Buy a Mosin Nagant M-38, the Russians already did the work for you.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 08-30-2011, 12:04 AM   #17

M38, will look into that. How much are they usually?

Old 08-30-2011, 04:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Buy a Mosin Nagant M-38, the Russians already did the work for you.
good luck with that, I have looked for several months and can't find one . googled/yahooed and any other oo'ed with no luck except in a pawn shop that was pretty beat and it was $399. heck, the airsoft version is going for $600.00(Zeta Labs MkIII Mosin Nagant FULL LENGTH Airsoft Rifle IN STOCK - Airsoft BB Guns, Two tone / 2 tone BB Guns, Airsoft Shop) finally settled on two 91/30's. for $200. waiting on UPS to deliver them to my local FFL dealer. Going to test both and keep the best and sell the other.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #19

Liked 2453 Times on 1397 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I guess I just don't get it. Your buy an obsolete, surplus military rifle and try to make what out of it with the changes?

It doesn't shoot any better and a Mosin ain't gonna win any beauty contests now matter how you dress it up.

To me it seems like painting on a boxcar; sure you personalize it, but I think it says more about the painter than the message he is trying to get across.

The up-side to "modernizing" is, the more rifles that are ruined, the more valuable mine will be later. Some of these guns have already gained in value from $50.00 just a few years ago to the mid three hundreds. Try making that kind of money in the stock market.
I'm sorry, my Garand stock was downright scuzzy.

Did I offend you guys by installing a crisp,clean,

dry, perfect synthetic stock which doesn't make my

skin crawl? Well, perdon moi.

I'm not a collector who counts the value of a rifle by how

much somebody else is willing to pay for it,

but by how much I enjoy shooting it.

And if your guns are worth more as a result,

hey, I like you guys, that's great.But I'm not

competing with you over gun value, anyway.

Last edited by therewolf; 08-30-2011 at 04:20 PM.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:21 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You didn't offend me. I can understand tailoring a firearm to your preferences and to make it your own, but I don't necessarily agree with doing it to a military firearm. I can tolerate it just fine, but if someone wanted to do that to my personal firearm or suggested I do I would tell them that I much prefer it stock. It's fine with me that you enjoy a firearm tailored to you, and I enjoy a firearm stock especially military firearms.

Lets say I want a more customized 1911, well I'm not going to customize my current one I'll just go buy something like a Colt Gold Cup or something like that. It's just the way I am .

-Confederate Soldier

-Unknown

-Wyatt Earp