Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Mosin Nagant Q's (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/mosin-nagant-qs-47465/)

Dropy 08-28-2011 08:09 PM

Mosin Nagant Q's

I am thinking of buying a couple Mosin Nagants for the house to play with. What i am curious about is if there any aftermarket stocks for these weapons? Also, for those that own them, did you cut down the barrel any and recrown it and sporterize the stock at all?

Firearms4ever 08-28-2011 08:15 PM

There are aftermarket stocks but they require a bent bolt if I'm remember right. To answer your question about sporterizing it, no I have not sporterized any of my military firearms in any way. When it comes to military firearms I'm a purist meaning I don't like military firearms being altered in any way. I find stock military firearms much more attractive, appealing, historical, and ect than a sporterized version.

jpattersonnh 08-28-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firearms4ever (Post 571143)
There are aftermarket stocks but they require a bent bolt if I'm remember right. To answer your question about sporterizing it, no I have not sporterized any of my military firearms in any way. When it comes to military firearms I'm a purist meaning I don't like military firearms being altered in any way. I find stock military firearms much more attractive, appealing, historical, and ect than a sporterized version.

+1, I feel the same way.

Chainfire 08-28-2011 08:26 PM

The same here.

These rifles are historical treasures. They will not be cheap forever either, any permanant modifications will ruin the future value.

Almost any Mosin Nagant you get your hands on fought through WWII, if not WWI, WWII and the Russian revolution. The Russians and Soviets were always short of rifles; very few of them spent the wars in warehouses.

Buy one, shoot it, study the history. There are collectors forums devoted to these rifles, check them out.

therewolf 08-29-2011 09:11 PM

While I like Milsurp, I'm not a big fan of manky, old, greasy, dinged

up wood stocks at all. Midway has many synthetic stocks.

Charcoal(synthetic color) makes an old military beater really

stand out, and you can get them starting around 75$ shipped.

There's about 20,000,000 Mosins floating around. So you're not

really "destroying history" if you personalize it and make

it your own. I particularly like the M44 Carbine. Many were

also made post war, so familiarize yourself with stamps and

markings before you buy.

Wikipedia and Gunbroker are your friend.

jpattersonnh 08-29-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf (Post 571640)
While I like Milsurp, I'm not a big fan of manky, old, greasy, dinged

up wood stocks at all
. Midway has many synthetic stocks.

Charcoal(synthetic color) makes an old military beater really

stand out, and you can get them starting around 75$ shipped.

There's about 20,000,000 Mosins floating around. So you're not

really "destroying history" if you personalize it and make

it your own. I particularly like the M44 Carbine. Many were

also made post war, so familiarize yourself with stamps and

markings before you buy.

Wikipedia and Gunbroker are your friend.

You don't know a good surplus rifle! There were 10,000,000 K98k's made by the Nazi's, they were used and bubba abused for years. Not a nice condition matching example brings over $650.00 Minimum. I bought my 1st vet bring back K98k, all matching 1942 BYF for $125.00. That rifle is worth $750.00 now. You keep on hacking them, I'll keep making $$$.

therewolf 08-29-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 571645)
You don't know a good surplus rifle! There were 10,000,000 K98k's made by the Nazi's, they were used and bubba abused for years. Not a nice condition matching example brings over $650.00 Minimum. I bought my 1st vet bring back K98k, all matching 1942 BYF for $125.00. That rifle is worth $750.00 now. You keep on hacking them, I'll keep making $$$.

That's great, and our diversity is what makes America America.

I'm not as much of a collector, expert, and seller, as a shooter,

so I share a different viewpoint. I've never sold a gun, and

I don't intend to buy any I won't keep.

I must admit, if you're going to make it your own, be sure

to keep it. We all see far too many Bubba'ed Milsurp at the pawn shops.

Bear in mind, nobody else is going to want a rifle without original

parts, especially the stock...

Firearms4ever 08-29-2011 09:45 PM

Nothing beats a wood and steal firearm, and yes that means the polymer wonders too :eek:. If the old warhorses could talk I would have countless hours of enjoyment listening to their history and what part they played.

A while back someone offered me $700 for my Arisaka Type 38 (I think that's what it is not sure exactly), and he wanted to cut down the barrel, put a bipod on it, and all that, and I said no in a heartbeat. I may not shoot it at all due to hard ammo to find, but it deserves better than being cut down and modified. In addition it was my grandfather's, who was a navy seal that was stationed in Japan after WWII.

therewolf 08-29-2011 09:51 PM

Yeah,guys,

we're talking milsurp here.

Sure, there are exceptions. And I'm

not in the least implying you should destroy

the history for any rifle you hold dear.

Obviously, we all know that "sporterizing" a

gun generally brings it's dollar value roughly

within the range of dog poop. But one of the

really fun things about milsurp is there is so much of it,

and a mod which an individual prefers, which they are happy

with, is going to bring a more meaningful range experience.

I know it has for me.

JonM 08-29-2011 09:56 PM

my opinion is based on looks. military firearms that are adapted to civilian use by "sporterizing" are far far uglier than the original unmessed with look stock dings and all.

a civilian rifle designed to be pretty has a look all its own and cant be copied by hastily modding and chopping a military implement.

for example you cant duplicate the looks of a classic winchester model 70 pre '64 by taking an old german mauser hacking the end of barrel off sticking a civvy stock on it, then doing a bluing job in the basement.

like wise you cant take a civvy weapon add on military rails and stocks and have it look good in a tactical way.

both types just come out looking like a child got done banging away at it with hammers....

if you like that look go for it its your money and rifle. i just personally think sporterizing or militarizing looks stupid.