Mosin Nagant Problem
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin Nagant Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mosin Nagant Problem

Santa brought me my first Mosin Nagant M91/30 made in 1943, never issued. I spent all Christmas night cleaning the cosmelan so I could shoot it. I got to the range today, loaded up the clip, and tried to cycled my first round into the chamber and found a problem, the bolt wouldn't close. At that point I figured I had a head-spacing problem. So I decided to take a closer look, and found out my extractor won't move. I removed the extractor and reassembled my gun, and I was able to close the the bolt with a round in the chamber. So I guess my extractor has issues.
Has anyone else had this problem? what did you do? Could someone post a picture of their extractor installed in the bolt and removed. Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #2

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Disassemble the bolt and thoroughly clean it. I soaked mine in kerosene and blew it dry then lightly oiled it. Then take a 20 guage bore brush on a drill and attack the chamber vigerously. If you are using corrosive ammo, clean the bore, and the bolt with boiling water as soon as possible after shooting. Warning: do not try any of the easy trigger fixes.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #3

Liked 741 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 773

I usually soak all the parts in Mineral spirits. Cosmoline raises hell w/ springs, especially when it is cold out or the Cosmo is really old. Com-blok Cosmo is more like wax.

Now for the 1943 and never issued part....BS. The Soviets were fighting for their lives at that point. It has been arsenal refinished post war, which is not a bad thing at all.
Boiling water is the best stuff for corrosive ammo. I've never had the dreaded sticky bolt on any of my 91/30's or M44's.
BigDT, you should tell us where you are from. Maybe someone is local and will help you. It also is nice to shoot w/ folks w/ similar interests.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:13 PM   #4

I Dissambled the bolt and all the action and soaked it in acetone, Acetone also works very well in cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo. I waited 4 hours once after using corrosive ammo and I recommend just buying non corrosive, Its really not worth it unless you want to corrode your riflings.
It cost 5 bucks for 20 surplus corrosive rounds here, they sell non-corrosive barnaulls 20 round boxes for 10$. I just pay the extra 5 bucks.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #5

Liked 741 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbaq View Post
I Dissambled the bolt and all the action and soaked it in acetone, Acetone also works very well in cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo. I waited 4 hours once after using corrosive ammo and I recommend just buying non corrosive, Its really not worth it unless you want to corrode your riflings.
It cost 5 bucks for 20 surplus corrosive rounds here, they sell non-corrosive barnaulls 20 round boxes for 10$. I just pay the extra 5 bucks.
Acetone does not desolve the salt left behind from corrosive ammo. Boiling water does. I have shot Thousands of rounds of corrosive ammo w/ no ill effects to any firearm using boiling water. I pay $69.00 for 440 rounds of 7.62x54r. You pay .50 a round, I pay .15. The OP still has an issue not related to ammo..

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9401 Times on 4052 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

Step by step w/ pictures on the 91/30 bolt, including extractor. The Commie cosmoline gums up everything, strip and clean, put it back, so if that fixed it. Click here: Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default Sounds like more cleaning is the solution!

My M91/30 1943 Mosin had its share of cosmoline..."but, I have never heard
of it causing that problem"! I purchased my first one in may 2010 & after a
very good cleaning It works perfectly & shoots groups of 1.750" or better @
100 yards!