Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Mosin Nagant options. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/mosin-nagant-options-51292/)

UrbanNinja 11-06-2011 11:48 PM

After a good bit of research and lurking in the shadows of a few other threads about these rifles.. ive decided im going to purchase one next weekend at a local gun show.

I know there are some more desirable models (m44, m38, m39 carbine models) but is there anything I should stay away from or be cautious of?

jpattersonnh 11-07-2011 12:20 AM

Any of Mine?

UrbanNinja 11-07-2011 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
Any of Mine?

Care to be more specific?

RufusTFirefly 11-07-2011 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanNinja (Post 621173)

I think he was just being facetious ;)

jjfuller1 11-07-2011 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanNinja (Post 621173)

he doesnt want you to buy or steal his personal mosins. lol.. a mosin is a great rifle you will have fun with it. i would say just try to find the best deal. and dont pay more than 140, unless its a sniper varient or carbine. most of them should have a small kit. bayonet and pouches.. i paid 126 for my m44 and 100 for my long barrelled mosin. buy a box of 440 rounds for about 90 and you be good to go

UrbanNinja 11-07-2011 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1

he doesnt want you to buy or steal his personal mosins. lol.. a mosin is a great rifle you will have fun with it. i would say just try to find the best deal. and dont pay more than 140, unless its a sniper varient or carbine. most of them should have a small kit. bayonet and pouches.. i paid 126 for my m44 and 100 for my long barrelled mosin. buy a box of 440 rounds for about 90 and you be good to go

Lol i didnt know if he meant his personal rifles or if he was asking if i had read any of his threads on them.

Anyway... I have always seen the Mosins on average of $115 for the long barrel. If i were to come across the carbine models.. which price range would I expect to pay for those? Also , are there any modifications to be done to them or would it be better to leave stock?

jpattersonnh 11-07-2011 01:37 AM

Join in on the Koozie sale/ rifle raffle. 1938 Finn capture. Sweet rifle.

Chainfire 11-07-2011 10:01 AM

As far as function, they are all the same rifle. Choose based on the quality of the bore if you want a shooter. (take a bore light). To some folks the hex reciever is a bonus as they are older and usually have better machining. Try not to pay over $120.00 for a model 91/30, and $100.00 is a fair price for both buyer and seller. Without a bit of experience, you might not shop for anything more than the basic 91/30 first time out. Check with the 7.62 x 54r net for details on nicer Mosins.

c3shooter 11-07-2011 11:14 AM

The carbines (M38, M44) are going to have more recoil, muzzle flash like a dragon. Lighter and handier than the 91/30. Condition of bore is key, especially wear at muzzle. GENTLY insert a loaded cartridge into the muzzle. The cartridge should stop with bullet showing between muzzle and cartridge case. If it goes all the way in, so that case mouth is touching the muzzle, has been worn, or has been counterbored to take out bad rifling at muzzle.

dragunovsks 11-07-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanNinja

Lol i didnt know if he meant his personal rifles or if he was asking if i had read any of his threads on them.

Anyway... I have always seen the Mosins on average of $115 for the long barrel. If i were to come across the carbine models.. which price range would I expect to pay for those? Also , are there any modifications to be done to them or would it be better to leave stock?

I paid 89 for my m44 carbine, i wouldnt pay much more than that cause the ruskys turned out millions of them. If someones wants an arm and a leg for a post war carbine then walk on. Mines a 1946, but the earlier ones, like 1942 are worth more.

As far as mods you can get a bent bolt conversion kit that allows you to mount a scope and they sell monte carlo stocks as well but ive left mine original as i like the original military look over a commercial look.

This may be a no brainer but if you're new to firearms you probably dont realize how loud a carbine mosin is, i know i didnt when i got mine. They will deafen you, hearing ptotection is a must with one of these.