Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Mosin Nagant Model 1891/30 - Home defence? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/mosin-nagant-model-1891-30-home-defence-34808/)

Scare_Rab 11-26-2010 06:28 AM

Mosin Nagant Model 1891/30 - Home defence?

I have searched the forum - found a thread about shooting 'em

but - What do members think of using a Mosin Nagant Model 1891/30 as a Home defense weapon?

Certainly cheap enough and they worked for the Russians in the 1940's.

Plus - Simple accurate powerful ammo cheap & available

minus ?

Questions comments suggestions welcomed

for sale US$300

Mosin Nagant WW2 Russian Rifle *Unissued* - soviet, rifles, rifle, issue, cleaning, ... - Gun City

c3shooter 11-26-2010 11:19 AM

+ column- if that is what you have/ can afford, it is better than a Louisville Slugger. If used with the bayonet, could be intimidating as all get out.

- column WAY too much penetration (shoots thru bldgs and small armored vehicles), speed of a second shot faster than a muzzleloader, too long to handle well in close quarters

nwrednk 11-26-2010 12:01 PM

Overly long & cumbersome...

In tight quarters...But, on "black friday" you can get one for $89.00 @ Big 5
today! The 7.62x54R cartridge has the same "killing power" as the win .308!
But, I would opt for one of my handguns to dispatch a prowler or my
Mossberg 500A that holds 8 shots of 2&3/4 shells loaded with #4 buckshot!
:D

jpattersonnh 11-26-2010 01:28 PM

- side, Fire it indoors, you will both be deaf, and if it is a carbine, blind if fired in the dark. 91/30 won't be easy to use in close quarters, it is long. It would not be my 1st choice.

Scare_Rab 11-26-2010 01:42 PM

oops - Not "Home defense" - rather "end_of_Days"

Understand there are other weapons for defending the home: Remington 870, etc

I was meaning:

... "if'n it so happens that there be no longer any Central Authourity... Polis, etc ... for a period...

Then would a Mosin Nagant 1981/30 be a useful tool - for BIG varmints , ....making big bad things go away?

Shihan 11-26-2010 03:12 PM

Not sure, guess it would depend on the type of Home defense. If you mean by attackers coming over the ridge line towards your house, Sure. If you meant attackers in your house, Not so much. Unless you plan on using the Bayonet as they come at you.

Either way, if that is equal to $90 over here, good deal. No idea of exchange rate.

Everyone should have at least one Mosin, if not 2 or 3 or 10.:D

patret 11-26-2010 03:51 PM

It is my opinion a shotgun would be the best home defense firearm. I would use number 6 or 7/one half because I don`t like to shoot through walls.

2hot2handle 11-26-2010 04:32 PM

just got a hex receiver 1933 mosin from big 5 today for 90 that sale runs till 5 o'clock i believe and maybe i was high from the gun pron but i swear the serial number was 71....I'll post pics when I get it back later today. maybe i was mistaken...

gatopardo 11-27-2010 12:01 AM

Whatever

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scare_Rab (Post 392328)
I have searched the forum - found a thread about shooting 'em

but - What do members think of using a Mosin Nagant Model 1891/30 as a Home defense weapon?

Certainly cheap enough and they worked for the Russians in the 1940's.

Plus - Simple accurate powerful ammo cheap & available

minus ?

Questions comments suggestions welcomed

for sale US$300

Mosin Nagant WW2 Russian Rifle *Unissued* - soviet, rifles, rifle, issue, cleaning, ... - Gun City

Whatever you shoot with that rifle is enough to thru a person, a deer and a wall, not the best choice IMO.
$300 is a little too expensive too, $150 sounds more like it.

Ideologies left aside, take this from real facts about a real guerrilla fighter.

Che Guevara's choice between first aid kit and ammunition box: AMMUNITION BOX
Che Guevara's weapon of choice for a close combat situation: A REVOLVER.
Che guevara's chances to walk away unharmed from this kind of situation: PRICELESS.

The reason for the revolver being that it's easier to pick targets in different directions with one.

nwrednk 11-27-2010 12:18 PM

Depending on what...

You want to kill, a Mosin Nagant will "shoot the crap" out of nearly any land
dwelling animal!!!:eek: (It may not blow a basketball sized exit wound) in a
deer like I have seen with a 7mm Rem Mag)... But "just" how dead do you
want your target to be?!:rolleyes: