mosin nagant markings - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > mosin nagant markings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

The day I was introduced to 91/30 was the day I bought my first. It was little hole in the wall LGS that didn't seem to know much more than I did about them. They had a pile of bolts, a pile of barreled receivers, a pile of stocks and another pile of bands, springs, screws, sights, bottom metal and other necessary parts. In hind sight they were the worst selection of 91/30s I've seen yet. They surprisingly managed to assemble about 6 rifles out of about 15. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't have given them a second look. I sorted through the 6 and picked the best looking one. In the end the gun turned out better than you would think. No matching Nos., counter bored, iffy bore, cracked stock and little bluing. It had marks that contradicted each other all over the place. and it shoots rather well as Mosins go. NOTHING IS SURE with 91/30s.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #22

Liked 1557 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 357

You might really care if the star is a legitimate N. Korean mark. There are collectors who would pay a relative fortune for that rifle if it is correct. Take it to the experts on 7.62x54R net, they are nice folks and they have the best knowledge available on the Mosin-Nagant rifles.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2215 Times on 1547 Posts
Likes Given: 1147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
You might really care if the star is a legitimate N. Korean mark. There are collectors who would pay a relative fortune for that rifle if it is correct. Take it to the experts on 7.62x54R net, they are nice folks and they have the best knowledge available on the Mosin-Nagant rifles.
I don't think anything North Korean is collectible, least of all the most common bolt action rifle ever made. I am a casual buyer with more instinct than expertise, and if I knew the rifle was PDRK, I wouldn't pay a dime for it.

The one on your avatar is valuable, or very valuable.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:55 AM   #24

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Well my mosin will never be for sale. it is special to me and i love my markings its different from the others and its a beauty im lucky to own it! I hate how the metal bands slip off when the wood heats up because the cosmoline is still in the pores of the wood. But it would be amazing if i had a korean isvesk tula mosin ive tried 762x54.net and nobody was able to help

Old 07-01-2014, 09:39 AM   #25

Liked 1557 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
I don't think anything North Korean is collectible, least of all the most common bolt action rifle ever made. I am a casual buyer with more instinct than expertise, and if I knew the rifle was PDRK, I wouldn't pay a dime for it.

The one on your avatar is valuable, or very valuable.

I believe that your instinct has failed you on this one. There are serious collectors of the Mosin-Nagant that pay serious money for "collectable rifles." Value to collectors, many times, is a matter of rarity within the market of the collector. N. Korean Mosins are rarer than hen's teeth in the US and I would bet you that rifle, if it was verified as a N. Korean, would bring a thousand dollars, maybe quite a bit more. The one on my avatar is worth $300.00 tops.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2215 Times on 1547 Posts
Likes Given: 1147

That's possible always, but the rifle in question wasn't made in PDRK. There is no money in the hypothetical arsenal stamp alone, no matter what it means.