Mosin-Nagant M91/30 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin-Nagant M91/30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Most places will charge more for the hex receiver. It seems to be the more desired configuration by collectors, as it was largely phased out by 1935/1936. So they tend to be older. M44 variants (the shorter carbine version) are getting more and more rare now, and will be more expensive. Most people consider a Finnish Mosin Nagant to be the pinnacle due to the Finns having such high standards for manufacturing and accuracy.

As far as scopes go, unless you pick up a rifle that is already drilled and tapped for a scope (which stores will charge a lot for, around $400-$500), you will have to drill and tap it yourself. The receiver shape doesn't make it any easier or harder- the scope was side-mounted (like an AK-47 typically has to be done), so it doesn't rest on the receiver.

There were particular rifles marked for sniper use and then the holes were filled during arsenal refinishing, if you get one you can see the closed holes in the walls of the receiver. These rifles tend to be more accurate (stronger rifling, etc).

You can figure out all of this stuff based on the markings stamped into the wood and the metal on the gun. There are hundreds of markings, and only some of them have a known meaning.

This site has a great wealth of knowledge on those markings and the history of the Mosin Nagant: 7.62x54r.net

There are a few sites that you can buy from that will charge you $10 or so for a "hand pick", meaning instead of grabbing the first one on the rack they will hunt around a bit for a good one for you- something with strong rifling, good wood condition, etc.

I purchased a hex receiver 91/30 from impactguns.com and ended up with a very nice Tula made in 1936, with ex-sniper markings. My stock however had been replaced somewhere along the lines by the Ukranians (which I can tell due to having a Ukranian refurbishment stamp on the buttstock). Serial numbers all match except for the magazine floorplate (which must have been force-matched during refurb in Ukraine).

I could go on- but that's now what you came here for . Just gives you an idea of the fun/history you can get for $100

Old 05-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #12

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

cant...wait...for....C&R license...must...order...a dozen mosins...gah! So soon.

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Old 05-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #13

Send me a few when you do, eh?

Old 05-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #14

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyPine View Post
Send me a few when you do, eh?
"I'll take a dozen Mosin Nagant's"

"That'll be 65 dollars, sir"

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Old 05-26-2010, 02:20 AM   #15

Thanks for the input guys i bought a round reciever model from Wideners.com $89 the also have hex for $99. It appear to be brand new never issued came with sling, ammo pouch, oil can, cleaner, bayonet, and some other parts I've not quiet figgured out yet. The guy told me they had bought several cases and when the opened them they were in their original packing.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:33 AM   #16

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Congratulations. You will love it. Cosmoline and all

Old 05-26-2010, 04:08 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

after looking at them today and the price...I want one...

Old 05-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #18

Sounds pretty good. You'll have to clean her up and post some pictures of the markings for us to oggle!

Old 05-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #19

I got mine at Dunhams on sale for $79.99 in November 2008. It came with an accessory pack including bayonet. I couldn’t pass up a military rifle for that price, and I didn’t know about the accessory pack. The rifle was made in 1943.
I showed my neighbor the add and he went out the next day and got the last one they had.

post.jpg  

Death By Gun Control The Mother of All Stats
In the 20th Century, at least 170,000,000 people were murdered by their own governments -- more killed than by crime – more than killed by war.
http://jpfo.org/index.htm

Old 05-27-2010, 12:48 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9168 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

For all of you that JUST got your first M-N, congratulations. No fair making .223 shooters whimper and hide under the benchrest. Targets closer than 25 yards should not be readily ignitable (muzzle blast, ya know)

Now go over to surplusrifle.com. look up your rifle, read some good articles (how to improve trigger pull w/ a beer can, "sticky bolt" syndrome, etc. Also hunt up the articles on de-cosmolining a milsurp.

Many of these APPEAR to be unissued, but have actually been back thru an arsenal rebuild, and then placed on storage. DO learn how to clean a rifle after shooting corrosive ammo if you do not know.

Clean the bayonet well after using as a skewer for shish-ka-bob. Enjoy!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.