Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin nagant- hex or round?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 698 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 726

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtshooter View Post
Now are these actual repros of the Russian scopes? Im familiar with the pu, but not so with th PE. Can you tell me anything about em? I believe the Pu is a 4x. Not sure about the PE. Accumounts also makes a round receiver mount too. I've still got my mind set in the hex neway.
They should be some good repros, just made with modern methods and materials. Actually the PU is 2.5x and I think the PE is 4x....

I was lucky enough to find a authentic 1942 PU... It took me forever to find a "matching" 1942 Mosin that was worthy though!

Old 05-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez

They should be some good repros, just made with modern methods and materials. Actually the PU is 2.5x and I think the PE is 4x....

I was lucky enough to find a authentic 1942 PU... It took me forever to find a "matching" 1942 Mosin that was worthy though!
I completely agree. I don't want to just put $ into anything. Even though I know it's a reproduction, it's still pretty spendy. I think I'd prefer the 4x, but how do you like the PU?

Old 05-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny357

From what I've read, the hex receiver is a good indicator that the rifle was made before the war and thus at a time when quality took preference over quantity. Thus a hex receiver has better odds of being an accurate rifle than a round receiver. I own two round receivers, but my next mosin would be a hex receiver for this reason.
This is exactly why I wanted the hex. I heard also they were cutting cost and mass producing for the war.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #14

Liked 698 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 726

Sounds to me you already know what you want.. A hex with a PE scope.. Go for it!!

Old 05-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez
Sounds to me you already know what you want.. A hex with a PE scope.. Go for it!!
Ya I think so, just wasn't sure of the differences. I think this has solidified my decision. Plus, I can't really back out on the hex now, already bought it.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #16

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Fire it a few times.

I doubt you'll have many regrets...

Old 05-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #17

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
If you want to put a PE scope on it you need a hex receiver, If you want a PU scope you would want a round receiver.....
PE was made for both.
"The first series of Soviet sniper rifles used the Model PE scope (VP in the Soviet designation) which was produced by the company Emil Busch AG and was basically a knock-off the Zeiss optics used on the first prototypes. This series of rifles ran from 1931 to 1939 with some evidence indicating that the production run went into the early 40's to use up surplus parts from the official production run. The PE scope is identified by its length which extends from just even with the iron sight base back to just beyond the cocking piece on the bolt and the use of an adjustable objective or eyepiece. The PE was a 4 power scope that featured adjustments for elevation and windage as well as the focus ring. The first mounting system was a hex shaped affair that mated with the hex receiver and mounted the scope on the centerline of the bore. This centerline mount was later adapted to the round receivers. Later mounting systems for the PE and PE/PEM series were side mounts that attached to a base affixed to the left side of the receiver."

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh

PE was made for both.
"The first series of Soviet sniper rifles used the Model PE scope (VP in the Soviet designation) which was produced by the company Emil Busch AG and was basically a knock-off the Zeiss optics used on the first prototypes. This series of rifles ran from 1931 to 1939 with some evidence indicating that the production run went into the early 40's to use up surplus parts from the official production run. The PE scope is identified by its length which extends from just even with the iron sight base back to just beyond the cocking piece on the bolt and the use of an adjustable objective or eyepiece. The PE was a 4 power scope that featured adjustments for elevation and windage as well as the focus ring. The first mounting system was a hex shaped affair that mated with the hex receiver and mounted the scope on the centerline of the bore. This centerline mount was later adapted to the round receivers. Later mounting systems for the PE and PE/PEM series were side mounts that attached to a base affixed to the left side of the receiver."
Very interesting, I want to keep this thing as original as possible, although the scope will be a repro. This will help me get the scope that was most used during that year. Unfortunately, I don't know the year. I get the rifle in Friday, so now it's just that long anticipating wait.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #19

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Here is your mount!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PE-PEM-sniper-scope-mount-4-Russian-Mosin-Nagant-91-30-hex-and-round-base-/370606355635?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5649dc 34b3#ht_1869wt_907

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #20

Vey nice!!! It would probably be a cheaper route to go through eBay. I'm getting pretty excited for this project. Not sure why I'm putting the AR on the back burner, but I am.