Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin nagant- hex or round?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mosin nagant- hex or round?

So today I called my local gun store, broke down and decided to buy a mosin. I know they're cheap, but that's not why I bought it. I bought it, because I want to bring one back to life. The one im getting is with the hex receiver, and I know a lot of people look for those ones. My concern is, in 1930 they change the design the slightest bit(upgraded or whatever). My question is, should I have gone with the hex, or a round( pre 40's) cuz during war time they mass produced. Let me know what you guys think.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2012, 02:34 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 701 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

I like the hex better, assuming you plan to keep it in stock form.

If you plan to drill and tap it, trade it in for the round reciever. Don't ruin the the hex.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #3

NO!!! I'm definitely not gonna screw it up like the rest of those guys. I may eventually get the PE scope for it from accu mounts. Those look pretty cool. I'll just have to get the bolt bent, or buy a new one. I'm curious though, what did they change in 1930? I thought it was the receiver, but a thread here said otherwise.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #4

Liked 694 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 717

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtshooter View Post
NO!!! I'm definitely not gonna screw it up like the rest of those guys. I may eventually get the PE scope for it from accu mounts. Those look pretty cool. I'll just have to get the bolt bent, or buy a new one. I'm curious though, what did they change in 1930? I thought it was the receiver, but a thread here said otherwise.
If you want to put a PE scope on it you need a hex receiver, If you want a PU scope you would want a round receiver.....

Old 05-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #5

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Quote:
Minor mods to the bolt, the barrel was shortened 3-1/2", the

rear sight changed from measurements in "arshins"(@28") to meters,

the front sight blade was changed to a hooded post.

There were also minor changes to the

finger guards, and the barrel bands on the stock. The mag spring was free,(loose) in the

1891, since they felt it could be lost during dis-assembly, they

anchored it on the 91/30. Apparently, there was also a slight, but much maligned

adjustment to the interrupter.

Mosins in one's collection tend to multiply, (how did I get 3?) so what I'd advise is

get the Hex 1891 or 91/30. Then, get an M44 carbine, be sure it's clean, with all matching serials.

It's a carbine, and only comes with a round receiver. Consider a Polish, Romanian, or Chinese M44,

in order to get the nicest gun possible. IMHO, you'll then have a small, but fair,

cross representation of most of the Mosin long rifles and Carbines.

I've been exceptionally lucky with my Mosins, paid for a 91/30, got an 1891 Hex Izzy dated 1925.

Found an unfired Polish m44 in new condition with all the stock cartouches outstanding, and a postwar M44

Izzy in very good condition, all with matching serials.

Last edited by therewolf; 05-10-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #6

Liked 1105 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 276

There is no practical difference in a hex and a round rifle. The hexes are older and have better metal polishing. Being older, the hexes have a bit more historical value, as far as I am concerned.

If you are choosing a shooter, the receiver style doesn't matter; choose for bore and crown condition. I have some really old hexes that are great shooters and some that are dogs. The same goes with the round receivers; I have some wartime rifles that are ugly, but great shooters.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 05-10-2012, 04:03 AM   #7

Sorry it took so long to reply. I'm hoping for a 91/30. I'd like the changes in sure. The problem is, he ordered it from the net. I forget which site. Not aimsurplus. I I heard it I'd remember. I am definitely planning on the PE scope, looks better IMO. I've been watching a ton of vids on YouTube on how to clean the thing up when I get it. Not sure if I want to refinish it either. I don't want to ruin the historical value of it. I have definitely fell in love with this Rifle because of the vids though.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:32 AM   #8

Liked 694 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 717

Quote:
Sorry it took so long to reply. I'm hoping for a 91/30. I'd like the changes in sure. The problem is, he ordered it from the net. I forget which site. Not aimsurplus. I I heard it I'd remember. I am definitely planning on the PE scope, looks better IMO. I've been watching a ton of vids on YouTube on how to clean the thing up when I get it. Not sure if I want to refinish it either. I don't want to ruin the historical value of it. I have definitely fell in love with this Rifle because of the vids though.
Your gonna want the Hex then... The PE scope mount attaches to the hex part of the receiver...

Old 05-10-2012, 05:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez

Your gonna want the Hex then... The PE scope mount attaches to the hex part of the receiver...
Now are these actual repros of the Russian scopes? Im familiar with the pu, but not so with th PE. Can you tell me anything about em? I believe the Pu is a 4x. Not sure about the PE. Accumounts also makes a round receiver mount too. I've still got my mind set in the hex neway.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
There is no practical difference in a hex and a round rifle. The hexes are older and have better metal polishing. Being older, the hexes have a bit more historical value, as far as I am concerned.
From what I've read, the hex receiver is a good indicator that the rifle was made before the war and thus at a time when quality took preference over quantity. Thus a hex receiver has better odds of being an accurate rifle than a round receiver. I own two round receivers, but my next mosin would be a hex receiver for this reason.