mosin nagant help - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

mosin nagant help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 03:56 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

This is my nagant, I must say it looks very very clean. I don't think this one seen much service. The rifleing looks very sharp. I showed a friend looked at it and said it was the cleanest nagant he has ever seen

forumrunner_20130611_224902.jpg

Old 06-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3585 Times on 1841 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Asking a $160 rifle to perform at that level is very unrealistic. The Mosin Nagant is a sturdy, reliable, reasonably powerful, inespensive rifle. 3" at 500? Yeah, given enough money the Pinto can turn 8's. Hell, given enough money you can make a riding lawnmower turn 8's

Old 06-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #13

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

If you want a tack-driver, off the shelf Mosin-Nagant, buy yourself a M-39 with an unissued barrel. Around $400.00. I have two "B" barrel M-39s that I don't believe were fired after the intital testing. They are much better rifles than I am a rifleman.

The M-39 is the ultimate Mosin-Nagant.

Carl Sagan

Old 06-22-2013, 01:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
If you want a tack-driver, off the shelf Mosin-Nagant, buy yourself a M-39 with an unissued barrel. Around $400.00. I have two "B" barrel M-39s that I don't believe were fired after the intital testing. They are much better rifles than I am a rifleman.

The M-39 is the ultimate Mosin-Nagant.
The one I got is a 39 and when I looked at the bore it looked like it was Yardley used. Also this one did not have the machine rings around it, the barrel is smooth as silk.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:49 AM   #15

Liked 2512 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 577

It can still be a good project that can help you reenforce basic marksmanship skills. First I would get a few types if ammo and see which one will group best at 100 yds. Then see how accurate you can be with it at 100 yds. Then start doing some accuracy improving tricks to it. And see which ones make the most difference. I wouldn't put optics on it for this project. I would also try to keep the original parts and see how much you can improve the rifle with just the stock parts. After you have exhausted those possibilities. I would say you have a good foundation for organizing a project on a more modern platform.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
It can still be a good project that can help you reenforce basic marksmanship skills. First I would get a few types if ammo and see which one will group best at 100 yds. Then see how accurate you can be with it at 100 yds. Then start doing some accuracy improving tricks to it. And see which ones make the most difference. I wouldn't put optics on it for this project. I would also try to keep the original parts and see how much you can improve the rifle with just the stock parts. After you have exhausted those possibilities. I would say you have a good foundation for organizing a project on a more modern platform.
I got a Monte Carlo stock and a brass tracker optic mount but the rear sight pins won't come out so I'm just going to keep it as is

Old 06-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #17

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

My 91/30 shoots pretty good. But I bought it when every gun shop had a case of rifles to pick through. I shot a coyote @ 580 yards with the 91/30 a few days ago. Could I duplicate the shot? I don't know. I have shot stumps at the lake at similar ranges. I used a Brown Bear 203 gr SP to make the shot.

I killed 4 deer with the 91/30 last season. I shot every one in the head or the neck. I have to be pretty confident in my rifle to take head and neck shots. All 4 deer were 50 yards or less.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #18

Liked 148 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I got my Mosin to shoot. Off a rest it was pretty good so I drilled and tapped it to put a scope on it, used it that way for a number of years. (payed $69 for it) Boys friend saw it and picked one up for himself but payed about $125 for it and got a new stock and scope mount for it before he even shot the thing. He has somewhere around $250 into something that can barely hit a sheet of plywood at 100 yards. Some are really good, some are OK and some are crap.
In my opinion... surplus ammo is just for fun, it will not give you an idea of what the gun can do. Russian ammo will give you some idea of what the gun can do. Winchester will probably give the best accuracy short of hand loading, but it's not cheap. I wouldn't put a dime extra into the gun until you know if it can shoot. And even after that... a Timney trigger ($89) is all I would do. Adjustable pull, smooth as silk and includes a safety which is a big improvement and makes the gun comparable to a modern bolt rifle. Even with that you are getting close to the price of a used modern rifle that wouldn't need anything to make it shoot. Back when they were $69, why not? Now at $129-$200, I don't think so.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #19

Liked 2512 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 577

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
I got a Monte Carlo stock and a brass tracker optic mount but the rear sight pins won't come out so I'm just going to keep it as is
I don't know if you have looked at axxe55s Bolt Action Rifles thread but you can take a look at some of the stuff I did with nothing but the stock parts to help improve accuracy. I'm not done tinkering yet with that rifle. It had a cracked stock and wouldn't group for beans. I found that ammo can make a pretty big difference. A lot if that can.be due to varying bullet diameters. Some loads had projectiles with diameters of .309 while the tightest grouping rounds were using projectiles near .312. With the Mosins the bore diameters could vary quite a bit and with corrosion and wear they can vary even more.

Brown Bear has a 174 grain load that seemed to do the best. Winchester did pretty well and so did Sellior and Bellot from Czech Republic. Interestingly. The Winchester loads are made in Czech Republic and my bet is that they are from the same plant.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post

I don't know if you have looked at axxe55s Bolt Action Rifles thread but you can take a look at some of the stuff I did with nothing but the stock parts to help improve accuracy. I'm not done tinkering yet with that rifle. It had a cracked stock and wouldn't group for beans. I found that ammo can make a pretty big difference. A lot if that can.be due to varying bullet diameters. Some loads had projectiles with diameters of .309 while the tightest grouping rounds were using projectiles near .312. With the Mosins the bore diameters could vary quite a bit and with corrosion and wear they can vary even more.

Brown Bear has a 174 grain load that seemed to do the best. Winchester did pretty well and so did Sellior and Bellot from Czech Republic. Interestingly. The Winchester loads are made in Czech Republic and my bet is that they are from the same plant.
Well all the parts where given to me so I'm not sweatin it. I got some herters steel case ammo. Going to the range in a couple days to try it out. I may end up selling it to find a different bolt action though.