mosin nagant help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > mosin nagant help

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 04:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,635
Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Default mosin nagant help

I have a project in mind it I need help on witch to get. I'm wanting the most accurate at a distance. I don't want a short one. Which one has the overall better rating. I heard the hex Tula is good but is it the best

__________________
Ultimate_sig is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 06-04-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jpyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sewell,NJ
Posts: 4,817
Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
I have a project in mind it I need help on witch to get. I'm wanting the most accurate at a distance. I don't want a short one. Which one has the overall better rating. I heard the hex Tula is good but is it the best
"Best" is an objective term...what level of accuracy and range are you considering? Most 91/30s will be accurate, meaning more or less MOA, 3-4" groups out to 250-300 yds while some will be Minute of Broad Side of a Barn. The models that the Russians converted to sniper rifles will be more accurate, Finnish models are also regarded as highly accurate...maybe more so than the original Russian models. In most cases you are not going to get sub MOA performance from any 80 year old battle rifle...they were just not designed for that. The hex and round receiver types and the factory, Tula vs Izhevsk are more a matter of desirability to collectors than an indication of the rifles inherent accuracy.
__________________

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Jpyle is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pasco Cty.FL
Posts: 6,644
Liked 2545 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1977

Default

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That said, folks generally look for the

Finn Mosins for accuracy.

Tula is well liked, but if you can

find one which was selected for

Sniper duty, it may be really good,

if it wasn't mistreated, in the 68 years

since WWII.

__________________
therewolf is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,635
Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post

"Best" is an objective term...what level of accuracy and range are you considering? Most 91/30s will be accurate, meaning more or less MOA, 3-4" groups out to 250-300 yds while some will be Minute of Broad Side of a Barn. The models that the Russians converted to sniper rifles will be more accurate, Finnish models are also regarded as highly accurate...maybe more so than the original Russian models. In most cases you are not going to get sub MOA performance from any 80 year old battle rifle...they were just not designed for that. The hex and round receiver types and the factory, Tula vs Izhevsk are more a matter of desirability to collectors than an indication of the rifles inherent accuracy.
Is like to have under 3 inch groups at 500 yards if possible. I'm going to check into the Finnish model.
__________________
Ultimate_sig is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,470
Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default

There is not a lot of consistency in the accuracy of one Mosin to another. The Russians picked their Sniper models by shooting them and taking the most accurate ones for sniper conversion.

The Finnish models are usually a bit more consistent, but the other problem you will face is finding 7.62x54R ammo that is consistent enough to really give good accuracy.

Is it possible to get the right combo to get 1" groups? Yes. But not likely. So plan on doing some work to the rifle and trying lots of different loads, or hand loading your own ammo. By the time you have likely found a combination that is really capable of consistently giving you that level of accuracy, you could have probably bought a more modern rifle that was as capable out if the box.

Not trying to keep you from a project, just letting you know what may lay ahead.

__________________
SSGN_Doc is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,635
Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
There is not a lot of consistency in the accuracy of one Mosin to another. The Russians picked their Sniper models by shooting them and taking the most accurate ones for sniper conversion.

The Finnish models are usually a bit more consistent, but the other problem you will face is finding 7.62x54R ammo that is consistent enough to really give good accuracy.

Is it possible to get the right combo to get 1" groups? Yes. But not likely. So plan on doing some work to the rifle and trying lots of different loads, or hand loading your own ammo. By the time you have likely found a combination that is really capable of consistently giving you that level of accuracy, you could have probably bought a more modern rifle that was as capable out if the box.

Not trying to keep you from a project, just letting you know what may lay ahead.
I'm already planning to do some work to it. I'm going to change the stock, polish the bolt, change the bolt, and put a nice scope on it. I like the ballistic results of the round but want to give it a remy 700 make over. I'm going with a Monte Carlo stock and if it does good eventually I'll put a promag AS stock on it. I like the thought of having a detachable box magazine.
__________________
Ultimate_sig is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
I'm already planning to do some work to it. I'm going to change the stock, polish the bolt, change the bolt, and put a nice scope on it. I like the ballistic results of the round but want to give it a remy 700 make over. I'm going with a Monte Carlo stock and if it does good eventually I'll put a promag AS stock on it. I like the thought of having a detachable box magazine.
i would check into reloading. inconsistent ammo is a huge problem when it comes to accuracy. consistent reloaded ammo will give a higher chance of potential accuracy.

check out this link to Boyd's Gunstocks for a really nice stock for the Mosin.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=7788&cat=1223
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post

Is like to have under 3 inch groups at 500 yards if possible. I'm going to check into the Finnish model.
Forget it. The rifle simply can't do it except by pure blind luck. You can maybe tighten groups down to 6-10 inches at 500, and that's freaking GREAT for the Mosin. But under 3"? Only by luck. Not trying to be mean, just realistic. I'm a huge fan of the Mosin, but this is like asking a Ford pinto to outperform a Corvette.
__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,470
Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
I'm already planning to do some work to it. I'm going to change the stock, polish the bolt, change the bolt, and put a nice scope on it. I like the ballistic results of the round but want to give it a remy 700 make over. I'm going with a Monte Carlo stock and if it does good eventually I'll put a promag AS stock on it. I like the thought of having a detachable box magazine.
I've seen people try to make a Mosin into something it is not. And sticking it in a Polymer stock and changing the bolt isn't going to do much for it. If you want to build on a Mosin action and have it perform like a Remington 700, then you might as well just get and action and have abarrel made for it, and put it in a real high quality fiberglass stock. Otherwise you are probably wasting your time. You probably won't be able to make it into a sub-MOA match shooter on the cheap. And once you're done it's still a Mosin Nagant.

You can get a Remington 700 or a Savage 10 in calibers that already have the same or better ballistic potential when compared to the 7.62x54R. it's pretty much right in between a .308 and .30-06.
__________________
SSGN_Doc is offline  
sputnik1988 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:47 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,635
Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post

I've seen people try to make a Mosin into something it is not. And sticking it in a Polymer stock and changing the bolt isn't going to do much for it. If you want to build on a Mosin action and have it perform like a Remington 700, then you might as well just get and action and have abarrel made for it, and put it in a real high quality fiberglass stock. Otherwise you are probably wasting your time. You probably won't be able to make it into a sub-MOA match shooter on the cheap. And once you're done it's still a Mosin Nagant.

You can get a Remington 700 or a Savage 10 in calibers that already have the same or better ballistic potential when compared to the 7.62x54R. it's pretty much right in between a .308 and .30-06.
Yea true. I had a gift card to cabelas for $160 and that's what the mosin cost. So I got it a few hours ago. I went thru the batch and found one that I think is in better,shape then,some of the used guns there. The previous owner must have taken very good care of it. The ejection port is flared, the barrel is smooth with no pivoting, the rifleing looks very sharp and this thing had very little dirt on it. It's at my buddies but I will post pics
__________________
Ultimate_sig is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Mosin-Nagant KFD129 Curio & Relic Discussion 21 01-23-2013 03:07 PM
First Mosin Nagant synical Curio & Relic Discussion 6 11-27-2012 02:33 AM
mosin nagant MOAGunsmiths General Rifle Discussion 0 02-13-2012 02:51 AM
Mosin nagant carbine or 1950 polish nagant trainer Nun Curio & Relic Discussion 4 10-12-2011 03:30 AM
Mosin-nagant m44 7.62 kenerly Optics & Mounts 2 08-16-2010 01:39 AM