Mosin nagant, good first buy?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin nagant, good first buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2014, 06:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Mosin nagant, good first buy?

Hello I'm 19 years old and I'm looking to buy my first rifle. I wanna start building up my own Arsenal just in case if anything happens with the gun laws. Had a couple of questions regarding the mosin nagant 91/30

1. Good first rifle?
2. How much would about 800 rounds of ammunition cost me?
3. Is there any cons toward this rifle?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-15-2014, 07:09 AM   #2
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3168 Times on 2151 Posts
Likes Given: 689

First off, welcome to FTF! If you gave a chance, head over the the introductions thread and say hello there, for the full royal welcome. There are lots of folks here who know much more About Mosin's then I do. One will be along shortly. I'm a Firearms history buff for sure, but I know a little more( a little) about AK's SKS's, and "Eastern Bloc" handguns.
If your into the "Podcast" thing, we have a good one here, hosted by Vikingdad, TekGreg, and myself, you can access it from the front page of the Website, or directly at www.firearmstalk.com/Podcast.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 09-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #3

Liked 1458 Times on 884 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Mosin-Nagant rifles are one of the best bargains on the market. They are very reliable, plenty accurate, fire a round similar to a .30/06 and are historical artifacts. You can buy 880 rounds of surplus ammo for around $200.00, so you can afford to shoot them.

The biggest con is, because they are inexpensive, they may become addictive. Also, if you shoot Soviet surplus ammo, you must clean the rifle properly after shooting to preserve the bore. Others claim that they are not attractive rifles, but I differ. Beauty is in the eye of the rifleholder.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

People Like This 
Old 09-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1598 Times on 1093 Posts
Likes Given: 555

The downside to the 91/30 is the safety. Get a modern rifle with a safety and a scope mount. A 91/30 is a cool rifle but it should not be your only rifle. 30/06 ammo can be had in bulk. There are no animals in North America that cannot be taken humanely with a 30/06. J&G sales often has used Mossberg rifles for a good price.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 09-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1954 Times on 1355 Posts
Likes Given: 999

You will have a 22 eventually, why not start with it. A semi-auto like the Ruger 10/22, or the Remington 597, or (going up) the CZ 512, or a S&W M&P 15-22 will give you the most fun for less, from the get-go.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5676 Times on 2963 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlternation View Post
Hello I'm 19 years old and I'm looking to buy my first rifle. I wanna start building up my own Arsenal just in case if anything happens with the gun laws. Had a couple of questions regarding the mosin nagant 91/30

1. Good first rifle?
2. How much would about 800 rounds of ammunition cost me?
3. Is there any cons toward this rifle?
1. superb first rifle.
2. about the same as the rifle itself.
3. they come filthy. you have to spend some time and elbow grease getting all the cosmoline like preservative out of them. there are several good threads in the curio/relic subforum on cleaning these up. the only other negative is they tend to multiply in gun safes. i have more mosins than any other rifle or handgun in my safe.

there are reallllly good hunting rounds for these in the form of brown silver and gold bear ammo and winchester produces a 180 grain softpoint that out paces a 30-06. you can find the quality stuff at walmart or pretty much any gun shop.

surplus cheap ammo is corrosive and special care must be taken to clean the same day as shooting it. typically hot soapy water is used.

ive used my mosins for hunting i typically do not load the gun until im sitting in my shooting spot. the safety is a bit clunky as noted above but it is NOT going to accidentally be turned off crawling through the woods if you choose to use it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 09-15-2014 at 12:44 PM.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2039 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Mosins are very good rifles for the money. If you can learn to shoot one accurately (put majority of your shots inside an 8-10" circle at 100 yards), it will help you become a better shooter when you get your next rifle. IMO open-sight shooting is great training for all types of shooting.

Plus as was mentioned ammo is cheap.

Did I hear you say 'arsenal'? I think you can get a crate of Mosins for $2200......

Old 09-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1209 Times on 825 Posts
Likes Given: 1220

A Mosin Nagant is a great first rifle !..................And Welcome Aboard ..................

When all else fails.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
You will have a 22 eventually, why not start with it. A semi-auto like the Ruger 10/22, or the Remington 597, or (going up) the CZ 512, or a S&W M&P 15-22 will give you the most fun for less, from the get-go.

Forgot to mention that I have a marlen .22 and a 12 gauge Benelli nova

Old 09-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #10

Liked 388 Times on 224 Posts

They are definitely cool rifles. I picked one up a few years ago. Once cleaned up I think it's a great looking rifle. For a first rifle, I think I'd go with an easier to shoot, more common caliber so it's easier to learn the fundamentals. The recoil isn't too bad with the mosin but you may want something that'll get you on paper better so you can learn faster. You said you have a marlin .22 so you may already have some basic shooting skills. Ammo is dirt cheap and 800 rounds will cost less than the rifle depending on where you buy it. If you do go with a mosin, get ready to clean. They come soaked in cosmoline which is the same consistency as engine grease. I soaked the metal parts in mineral spirits, cleaned the bore multiple times with wd40, and the wood with a spray bottle of "orange clean". After that I cleaned and oiled the rifle with my usual cleaners and gun oil. When you are picking one out, it's always a good idea to see if the bolt matches the receiver. Get a set of head space gauges from amazon.com to make sure it's safe to fire. I've never known anyone who had head space problems when the bolt number matched the gun, but better safe than sorry. I usually buy modern commercial ammo for it. Call me too lazy to clean the corrosive stuff I guess (it's not a big deal). Good luck and stay safe.