Mosin Nagant,first and only riffle?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin Nagant,first and only riffle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 03:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Mosin Nagant,first and only riffle?

I will purchase my first firearm in a couple of months (I have only rented riffles in a youth program in my local range and own an air pellet riffle) and I am considering the Mosin Magant. I come to the conclusion it is all I will ever need. Hunting? A deer stands no chance to the 7.62X54R. Home security? Five round magazine,I only need one. Maintenance? Its simplistic bolt action and design allows for easy cleaning and adjustments. Reliability? It has been used for decades and is still a popular riffle. Price and availability? Cheep and mass produced. Ammo? Excellent caliber for a very low price.
Range? 300 yards is all I will ever need.
I think this one is it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-26-2014, 03:26 AM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Helluva a first post, Daxil.

I disagree though. The Mosin "will do" for all of the above. And I love them. But they're far from being the best in any of those areas. I don't feel they even make the top three in any one of them.

Can it be the only rifle you'll ever need for life? Sure. I'm positive my 1911 is the last handgun I'll ever need.

Swing by the intro threads and say Hi to the community.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:43 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 1077 Posts
Likes Given: 546

A 91/30 is not suitable for home defense. You have to have hands like Attila the Hun to work the safety. The 91/30 is suitable for cautious hunters and situations where you don't have to have a round in the chamber. When I hunt with my 91/30 I use the bolt for a safety. That is not something a new shooter should be forced into.

Find an entry level hunting rifle. The Savage hog hunter would make a very suitable all around rifle. The hog hunter is equipped with iron sights and it is chambered in 308. I have seen the hog hunter priced at $429. The hog hunter is a well made rifle that will last for the rest of your life with proper care.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Jpyle Likes This 
Old 01-26-2014, 05:10 AM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Mosin Nagant is not, in my opinion, safe or suitable for home defense. Will it stop the threat, sure but at typical HD distances that round is just too hot. It will no doubt pass straight through the bad guy, through any walls in the home and continue down range towards whatever is in that direction. Aside from the high powered round, the Mosin Nagant is just too damned long...at 48" OAL any hallway is going to be tough to navigate and close quarter maneuvering will be nearly impossible. If you are dead set on a Mosin Nagant at least consider a carbine like the M38, M44 or the ultra affordable Chine Type 53 clone. Not going to overcome the issue with the round but at least the carbine is a more manageable length.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-26-2014, 05:26 AM   #5

Liked 2490 Times on 1421 Posts
Likes Given: 1940

I have to agree if you are looking for a Mosin, you

will be sorry, if you get the longer (4 FEET)91/30.

Try to find a good M44 from Poland or Romania in good shape.

They cost a little more, are more compact, and are unarguably

a good truck gun,in all likelihood, more accurate than you,

and will be passable for most of your needs.

Last edited by therewolf; 01-26-2014 at 05:29 AM.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:29 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2033 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 389

I have yet to meet a firearms enthusiast who has one rifle to meet all of their needs

Mosins are really cool (I own 4 of them), relatively inexpensive and a great first rifle for someone on a budget. You CAN use them to hunt, many guys do, WAY too long and powerful as has been said for home defense.

Great starter rifle but assuming you will make money your whole life, you will have money to purchase other firearms as well!

Old 01-26-2014, 12:55 PM   #7

Liked 89 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Agree with everything said. I would hate to see what would happen if you shot one in a house, particularly with the surplus steel core ammo, (you might kill the Toyota 2 blocks down and everything in between). Fun range gun but takes $ and gunsmithing to make it a good hunting gun (the safety is a bitch). A Marlin lever with a cross bolt safety in 30-30 win would fit the bill better I would think.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 01-26-2014, 02:25 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1931 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxil View Post
I will purchase my first firearm in a couple of months (I have only rented riffles in a youth program in my local range and own an air pellet riffle) and I am considering the Mosin Magant. I come to the conclusion it is all I will ever need. Hunting? A deer stands no chance to the 7.62X54R. Home security? Five round magazine,I only need one. Maintenance? Its simplistic bolt action and design allows for easy cleaning and adjustments. Reliability? It has been used for decades and is still a popular riffle. Price and availability? Cheep and mass produced. Ammo? Excellent caliber for a very low price.
Range? 300 yards is all I will ever need.
I think this one is it.
You are spot on, except home defense. Have fun with the Mosin, you will figure out HD later. Choosing your M, keep in mind that a carbine will be much louder to the shooter, and the muzzle flash can be spectacular. You will fire mostly from the rest anyway. Consider a full size M91.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:37 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1931 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Edit. The M44 was not even meant to be a military rifle. It was for guard duty and enforcement.

Last edited by Mercator; 01-26-2014 at 02:41 PM.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:57 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 1077 Posts
Likes Given: 546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Edit. The M44 was not even meant to be a military rifle. It was for guard duty and enforcement.
What is home defense?

I am not knocking the M44. But they are not $150 rifles. For the cost of an M44 I could find a used H&R pardner and a entry level rifle. Even the high dollar gun shop has used H&R pardners for $100. I can find a lightly used H&R pardner in just a few days for $75.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-26-2014 at 03:01 PM.