Mosin Nagant chambering issues - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin Nagant chambering issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Is the spring in correctly?? Follower??
You should also check the ejector as it doubles as an interrupter in the mag well.
Yes, I believe the spring is in correctly. I can post pics when I get home.

The interrupter feels strong and moves freely so I have elimanted that as the problem but will clean it again incase I am wrong.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10406 Times on 4488 Posts
Likes Given: 1653

Ref: chambering/ not chambering- did you strip down the bolt and clean it? Is the extractor free to move? Assuming that ammo is ammo, and there are no gross dimensional differences between cartridges, the extractor must move to ride over the rim. Also be sure to clean the chamber GOOD. I pull the bolt, use a section of cleaning rod, a worn 20 gauge brush, drill, and solvent- check rod into drill, attach brush, dip in solvent, insert in chamber, spin while moving in and out for about 30 seconds, followed by clean patch.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #13

Liked 768 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 830

Where are you located?? You might be close to a member that can help.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #14

Just spoke with the seller of this firearm. He will be mailing me new magazine internals. Hope this fixes the issue and gets here fast. I will update when I receive the items.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Ref: chambering/ not chambering- did you strip down the bolt and clean it? Is the extractor free to move? Assuming that ammo is ammo, and there are no gross dimensional differences between cartridges, the extractor must move to ride over the rim. Also be sure to clean the chamber GOOD. I pull the bolt, use a section of cleaning rod, a worn 20 gauge brush, drill, and solvent- check rod into drill, attach brush, dip in solvent, insert in chamber, spin while moving in and out for about 30 seconds, followed by clean patch.
I stripped the bolt down but did not focus on the extractor. Will do this tonight. I have not cleaned with a drill. Will do this as well. Thanks for input.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Where are you located?? You might be close to a member that can help.
I am in O'Fallon, MO. Just outside of St. Louis, MO. I sure would appreciate help if it is available.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have not done this, but many people advocate carefully warming the firearm to get out excess cosmoline. I'd be really careful with that idea.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #18

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Use grease on the bolt lugs, not oil.

I've shot alot of mosins that you had to slap the bolt open. And closed.
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #19

Liked 768 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 830

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I have not done this, but many people advocate carefully warming the firearm to get out excess cosmoline. I'd be really careful with that idea.
On a similar idea, I soak metal parts in mineral spirits. Even when you think it is clean the mineral spirits always look like Bourbon, but allas, you can't drink it. Soviet cosmoline is more like bees wax then a grease. As far as a lube, I use CLP, FP10... Why? because it is friggin' cold here in the winter, grease gets hard. Likewise in the summer it flies everywhere. Since I use corrosive ammo and will strip it anyway, it makes no sense to use grease. No advantage.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:29 PM   #20

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

sounds like your mag spring is weak.i had the same thing happing with one of the mosins i had purchased recently,i also had a FR8 .308 rifle do the same thing on the last round...after cleaning everything in the rifle and it still does the last round nose dive thingie...wait & replace with new or better box mag parts,you could also check for any burs on the top of the follower...good luck

Last edited by m72law; 01-12-2011 at 10:59 PM.