Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Mosin Nagant chambering issues (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/mosin-nagant-chambering-issues-36834/)

Doug1627 01-12-2011 04:44 PM

Mosin Nagant chambering issues

Hello All,

I bought my 1st Mosin Nagant about a week ago at the local gun show. My ammo arrived yesterday so I wanted to check to make sure the firearm functions properly. Unfortunatly I was unable to fire the rifle due to some rounds chambering and others not. In other words the bolt closes fine on some rounds and will not close for others. I ordered a 440 round tin of Russian Surplus ammo made in 1977. Headstamp 188. I assume this is an ammo issue and not the head space but wanted a second opinion before firing.

My second problem. All rounds chamber except the last one. When I get to the fifth round in the magazine the bullet nose dives when I push the bolt forward. Anyone know why?

I do not have the rifle with me but it is a Russian production and if mind serves me correctly it was manufactured in 1944. I think, not sure, the rifle is the 91/30. Its the long one if that helps.

Please help. I want to shoot this weekend instead of waiting for an exchange.

Thanks so much!

Maverick 01-12-2011 04:54 PM

Model ?......91/30?...........91/59?

jpattersonnh 01-12-2011 05:04 PM

So the rounds do chamber and you can close the bolt, but the last round in the mag well did not feed correctly? If this is the case, there is a lever on the bottom of the mag well(floor plate). Open the floorplate and clean the well and spring.

Maverick 01-12-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 420999)
So the rounds do chamber and you can close the bolt, but the last round in the mag well did not feed correctly? If this is the case, there is a lever on the bottom of the mag well(floor plate). Open the floorplate and clean the well and spring.

Thats what I was thinking too..... weak/worn spring maybe.

Doug1627 01-12-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick (Post 420996)
Model ?......91/30?...........91/59?

I think, not sure though, it is the 91/30.

Doug1627 01-12-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 420999)

I can close the bolt most of the time. I think some of this ammo is the problem for the bolt only closing sometimes.

Feeding issue. Yes, the firearm feeds the first 4 rounds fine but the fifth round nose dives. I cleaned the magazine assembly when I received the firearm but will clean again. It looks very clean right now though.

Doug1627 01-12-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick (Post 421005)
Thats what I was thinking too..... weak/worn spring maybe.

My brother also has a mosin. Guess I will stop by his house and take his mag assembly with me to see if that fixes this issue. Thanks for input. I am a newcomer to surplus rifles.

Maverick 01-12-2011 05:31 PM

It wouldn't still have cosmoline all over it and in it?............. does it?

jpattersonnh 01-12-2011 05:34 PM

Is the spring in correctly?? Follower??
You should also check the ejector as it doubles as an interrupter in the mag well.

Doug1627 01-12-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick (Post 421022)
It wouldn't still have cosmoline all over it and in it?............. does it?

Cleaned everything except the stock with breakclean and re oiled. She feels and looks clean to me. I will clean again anyway.