Mosin Nagant/Bolt Action Shooting Tips - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Mosin Nagant/Bolt Action Shooting Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 01:17 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Grumpy- ref: sticky bolt syndrome- there is usually a thin layer of gook still in the chamber. When it heats up, starts binding to the fired case. Two choices: 1. Carry a 3 ft length of 2x4 to beat the bolt open. 2. Remove bolt from rifle. Get a cleaning rod, about a 20 g shotgun brush, a drill, and a bottle of Hoppes. Chuck rod into drill, dip brush in Hoppes, while SPINNING, work into and out of the chamber. Keep it moving for about 30 seconds, then swab dry. Had a couple I would have SWORN were spotless- but I was wrong.
Thanks for the advice, shooter. I actually did just that before my last trip to the range. I followed a modified version that was from YouTube that involved Borebright and polishing the chamber.

I also spent what felt like about an hour and a half with a bottle of Hoppes and 40 bazillion of the girlfriend's Q-Tips just swabbing out the area where the lugs (or what I think are the lugs?) lock inside the chamber. When inspected with a borelight I could see the stuff just sitting there, which made sense to me as the cause for the bolt refusing to open after firing if that stuff was melting and then re-fusing to the bolt lugs.

End result, no sticking on the next trip! It's certainly not butter smooth, but I didn't have any periods that caused me to set the rifle down and bang on it with my palm.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:54 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 791 Times on 553 Posts
Likes Given: 865

The 91/30 is designed for heavy ball. 91/30 PU sniper rifles shoot it exclusively. Light ball is what I use in my PSL. If you look at the original design of the FMJ bullet for the Model 1891 it is heavy ball (210gr).

Here is Yugo heavy ball.

Polish light ball.

1986 Soviet light ball.

Notice the Soviet 1986 and Yugo heavy ball follow the same trajectory path, The Polish shoots slightly higher.
Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.