Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin Nagant/Bolt Action Shooting Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 01:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mosin Nagant/Bolt Action Shooting Tips

This question isn't necessarily specific to the Russian lady, but in my particular case that's what I'm shooting. Every video I see of those firing a bolt action involves them taking their eyes away from the sights/scope, lowering the rifle and working the action. If that is the case, how are you supposed to get decent groupings on the paper (besides just being a decent shot )?

I had my Mosin out at the range a week ago and got some decent "patterns" on paper at 50 yards (nothing I would call a "group"), and at 100 yards I was laughing at myself for hitting the paper twice... but not really in the black. I have a feeling I'm doing a lot to mess myself up in regards to resetting my point of aim every time I have to work the bolt.

I know the gun is capable of accuracy beyond 100 yards with the iron sights - maybe I'm not at this point!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-26-2010, 03:05 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It could also be your ammo. With bolt actions, you will normally lose some portion of you weld or cheek placement. Practice will help your be able to reproduce your hold. It takes time.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:33 AM   #3

Remember the 4 fundemtals of marksmanship. Steady Position, Sight Picture, Breathing, Trigger Squeeze....Also Are you using a M44 or the 91/30? The M44 is a Carbine and has a much shorter range and is less accurate.

Character, in the long run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike.

Theodore Roosevelt

Old 04-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #4

I'm using a 91/30, currently just using it from a bench rest. Was out at the range again yesterday and did quite a bit better- I have a 100 yard target with the proper number of holes in it That's that whole practice thing gschnarr was talking about at work.

The ammo is just lacquer coated 147gr Bulgarian stuff. I really need to go to town cleaning the thing because after my first 10 rounds it starts to stick so bad that I don't have a chance to reproduce my hold. Sticky bolt is probably the last thing you want when trying to be consistent.

I'm looking at grabbing a 10/22 and heading to a local appleseed shoot coming up in mid May so I can do some "official" learning.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #5

Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

It may just be the gun. I shot 20 rounds at 100 yds from a recently acquired 91/30. The bore looked very good as did the overall condition. I gave my other 91/30 to my step son, taking for granted the newer one would out shoot the first one that was counter bored and looked like a sewer pipe down the tube. The better looking one covered an 8 1/2 x 11 paper aiming at the bottom edge. The older one grouped 5 inches at 100 yds. Normally I would say it was me but after shooting the Mosin, I shot a 2 inch group with an 8mm mauser with iron sights. I hear about what good shooters 91/30s are but you couldn't prove it by me!

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 05-12-2010 at 07:43 PM.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #6

Liked 666 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 672

I have found that my 91/30's shoot Yugo Heavy ball best. Hungarian light ball shoots well. 1970's and '80's soviet light ball shoots well also.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #7

I was told that the guns weren't designed to shoot the heavier-grain bullets because it can create too much pressure. Is that true at all? I know the Winchester (S&B?) new production stuff is all 180gr. It doesn't make sense to me that they would produce ammunition that isn't safe to use.

+1 for guy at range blowing smoke, right?

Last edited by GrumpyPine; 05-12-2010 at 08:32 PM.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1729 Times on 1248 Posts
Likes Given: 1971

Default Reset Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyPine View Post
This question isn't necessarily specific to the Russian lady, but in my particular case that's what I'm shooting. Every video I see of those firing a bolt action involves them taking their eyes away from the sights/scope, lowering the rifle and working the action. If that is the case, how are you supposed to get decent groupings on the paper (besides just being a decent shot )?

I had my Mosin out at the range a week ago and got some decent "patterns" on paper at 50 yards (nothing I would call a "group"), and at 100 yards I was laughing at myself for hitting the paper twice... but not really in the black. I have a feeling I'm doing a lot to mess myself up in regards to resetting my point of aim every time I have to work the bolt.

I know the gun is capable of accuracy beyond 100 yards with the iron sights - maybe I'm not at this point!
I watched a special on the tube about people that lower thier rifles after firing. Some people cannot get the hang of lifting the bolt while keeping thier eyes on the target. It showed several ways to acomplish this. One guy used his thumb to lift the bolt and pull back and reload another round using thumb only. this takes a lot of practice and is hard on the thumb. Practice till it hurts, then practice some more!!! Have a Good Day at the Range!!!!

Old 05-12-2010, 09:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
I watched a special on the tube about people that lower thier rifles after firing. Some people cannot get the hang of lifting the bolt while keeping thier eyes on the target. It showed several ways to acomplish this. One guy used his thumb to lift the bolt and pull back and reload another round using thumb only. this takes a lot of practice and is hard on the thumb. Practice till it hurts, then practice some more!!! Have a Good Day at the Range!!!!
That's an interesting idea. I would imagine it can work quite well with a new, modern bolt action. I'll certainly give it a try with the Mosin, but I think it might just have too much resistance to operate with one finger. I can't remember exactly, but I might smash myself in the nose with the bolt if I leave my face there? Will have to try this weekend and really pay attention to my cheek weld.

Found this on ye-olde youtube:

Good or bad?

Old 05-13-2010, 12:07 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8325 Times on 3600 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

Grumpy- ref: sticky bolt syndrome- there is usually a thin layer of gook still in the chamber. When it heats up, starts binding to the fired case. Two choices: 1. Carry a 3 ft length of 2x4 to beat the bolt open. 2. Remove bolt from rifle. Get a cleaning rod, about a 20 g shotgun brush, a drill, and a bottle of Hoppes. Chuck rod into drill, dip brush in Hoppes, while SPINNING, work into and out of the chamber. Keep it moving for about 30 seconds, then swab dry. Had a couple I would have SWORN were spotless- but I was wrong.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.