Mosin Nagant Barrel Question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin Nagant Barrel Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mosin Nagant Barrel Question

Hey fellas, I have a mosin nagant and the person before me had the bright idea to mill out the inside of the barrel im guessing for purpose of making a silencer? This was about an inch down the barrel. I believed this would mess up my accuracy because after i would fire a shot the rifle seemed to jump to the left or right. Would this be because after the bullet left the rifiling it was hitting the milled out larger portion of the barrel before completely exiting the barrel? I think its possible what do you guys think? And also, if this is true is it safe to cut off the milled out portion of the barrel without taking a safety risk? I know it would be damage to barrel but that is alright as long as i have no interference of my shot

Guillie in the sticks~

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5629 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Your rifle has been counter bored in orderer to restore some accuracy from excessive muzzle erosion. Means your particular barrel has been shot a lot. Might be a wash between the cost of having that section cut and recrowned as opposed to buying a new rifle. Mosins arent that pricey.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #3

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just buy another at $90.00 and sell the parts off on the old one.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #4

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 725

As Jon said, it is counter bored. Most of the time the crown, rifling was damaged/ worn by a steel cleaning rod. The "jump" is usually caused by the shooter attempting to compensate for anticipated recoil. One of my best 91/30 shooters was one that I had built years ago, before they were common. It was counter bored.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.