Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin Nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default Mosin Nagant

I've got a few cabelas gift cards and am thinking about picking up a mosin. I already know what I want to do with it but am also thinking about a 1911 or xds. If I go with the mosin what should I look for when picking one out?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5108 Times on 2658 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Make sure muzzle has not been counter bored.

Clean shiny barrel on the inside

Other than that its a crapshoot whether its a shooter or just something to make rounds go bang. To me they are getting a little pricey to take a chance on whether its decent shooter or not.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #3

Liked 1629 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

I bought mine for $99. I have sporterized it. For $100 what else are you going to buy? Now if we are talking about something stupid like $250 then I would pass.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #4

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts

Justin... sounds like you want to buy a gun but don't have a particular use in mind... a rifle... full sized 1911... concealed size xds... do you already have a shotgun? I ask because to me there aren't a lot of feelings like the one you get racking a pump 12guage or the recoil of a slug being launched from the barrel... and you can swap a slug barrel or shot barrel in and out to do all kinds of hunting and recreational shooting...

Old 08-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Lol I agree I am indecisive on this one. I have both full size and carry pistols, I have hunting and fun rifles, and of course I have a 12 gauge. If I go 1911 it's going to be compact. I am torn between a project and new carry basically. Mosin Nagants here at 199 at cabelas.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #6

Liked 1060 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Bore and crown for function. I do not believe that a counterbore is a negative feature. It simply means that a bad crown was corrected. I have a couple of counterbored rifles that shoot like champs.

Other features that add to the cool factor is a date before or after WWII. A hexagonal receiver is more desirable than a round receiver for most folks, but it not any better mechanically.

Other than that, pick one that you like the looks of.

I will warn you, one Mosin-Nagant is not enough; they tend to multiply.

Good luck, and bring us pics of your pick.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

People Like This 
Old 08-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #7

Liked 2393 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1881

I'd also try to find a Hexagonal chamber, preferably from

Tula, with matching serial #s.

Or a M44, possibly a mint Polish or Romanian,

if you prefer a sturdy carbine.

I'd go with the Mosin, because it's probably what's

going to rise in value fastest. 1911s are great, but they're

"pattern" guns, (a design made by many) and the XDS are still in

manufacture. Get a decent M/N before the well dries up,

and all that's left is overpriced crap.

Last edited by therewolf; 08-06-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5108 Times on 2658 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Bore and crown for function. I do not believe that a counterbore is a negative feature. It simply means that a bad crown was corrected. I have a couple of counterbored rifles that shoot like champs.

Other features that add to the cool factor is a date before or after WWII. A hexagonal receiver is more desirable than a round receiver for most folks, but it not any better mechanically.

Other than that, pick one that you like the looks of.

I will warn you, one Mosin-Nagant is not enough; they tend to multiply.

Good luck, and bring us pics of your pick.
counterboring is a common indicator of heavy use and can possibly indicate throat erosion up to the point of a dangerous condition. counterboring was a war time practice to bring old used barrels back into service to meet military need. it was a common practice in ussr, usa, and british militaries during ww2.

personally i pass on such rifles because if i decide to sell it later the value isnt there. its also a huge risk on whether the barrel is too far worn in the throat area.

some counter bores can still function just fine but buying one without checking the throat with a go-nogo-field gage set for that caliber is a big risk. i just dont bother with such milsurps unless its super cheap and i need the parts.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #9

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I have a 1929 Izhevsk 91/30 Hex
1953 Hungarian M-44
91/59 Carbine
I love all these guns. The Hungarian is one of the nicest mosin's Ive ever seen. They are all good shooters and the Hungarian has felled a couple deer. The worst is the 91/59 Carbine. The buttplate doesn't match and while the rifling is good the bore is nasty. It has a really nice stock and is very light compared to other mosin's.

Happy Hunting. Hope you get a good one.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #10

Liked 1060 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
counterboring is a common indicator of heavy use and can possibly indicate throat erosion up to the point of a dangerous condition. counterboring was a war time practice to bring old used barrels back into service to meet military need. it was a common practice in ussr, usa, and british militaries during ww2.

personally i pass on such rifles because if i decide to sell it later the value isnt there. its also a huge risk on whether the barrel is too far worn in the throat area.

some counter bores can still function just fine but buying one without checking the throat with a go-nogo-field gage set for that caliber is a big risk. i just dont bother with such milsurps unless its super cheap and i need the parts.
Trust me on this Jon: Collectors generally agree that the damage being repaired by counter-boring a rifle was caused by improper cleaning of the rifle with the steel cleaning rod. Not because the rifle is shot-out. The top inch or so was damaged, and once the damage is repaired, by counter-boring, the rifle is in good condition again.

On the M-38 rifles, all, or nearly all, of them were counter-bored as a routine part of the refurbishment process. Apparently the Soviet armorers didn't feel that it degraded the quality of the rifles. From a shooting standpoint, it is far better to have a counter-bored rifle than one with damage to the crown.

If you are buying a Mosin-Nagant and hoping for a fine long-distance tack driver, you are barking up the wrong tree from the start. As far as a counter-bore discounting the value of a $150.00, obsolete military rifle, well, maybe it would only be worth $149.00 to some folks.

If someone is interested in truly collectible Mosin-Nagant rifles, then they won't be buying many rifles off the racks of a big-box retailer, (The importers have already picked over them) and you aren't paying in the under $200.00 range. Even if you are buying a high-end collectible Mosin-Nagant, then a counter-bore would not be a deciding negative. It just doesn't matter that much to serious collectors.

While I agree with the checking of the head-space on all 75 year old plus rifles, I have not yet had a failure on a rifle that came straight from the distributor, and I have checked a lot of them. Checking head-space is smart, and if you only plan to buy one, have a gunsmith check it for you. (it will cost you a lot less than buying the gauges)

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan