Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Mosin Nagant 91/30 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/mosin-nagant-91-30-a-65848/)

glockaholic 06-05-2012 05:15 PM

Mosin Nagant 91/30
 
So I picked up my rifle few days ago and I love it. I'm going this weekend to fire it. First thing I did when I got home is striped it down including the bolt to get that nasty factory oil **** off. I'll post picks tonight. I wanted this thread to be for any this about your rifle good, bad. Customizations anything.

Capybara 06-05-2012 06:21 PM

Picked mine up yesterday, Big 5 had 'em for $99.00 a few weeks ago. 1942 Izhevsk, matching numbers, all accessories were included, Century even included a spare ammo pouch. Stock looks good, receiver looks good, barrel either dirty with cosmoline or really rusted, can't tell until I clean it. Lands and grooves look good, but there are just lots of little particles in the barrel. it is counterbored unfortunately but that's life with a limited amount of Mosins to choose from. Hard to tell, but at first glance, it looks as if the front sight could possibly be slightly canted.

Unfortunately on a work deadline this week, then leaving on a trip for a few weeks so it's just going to sit in my safe for a while but I will report back as soon as I get it cleaned up and shoot it.

SSGN_Doc 06-05-2012 06:25 PM

I'm not much of one for customizing the Mosin as most would think of it. I have tinkered with one that I bought that ened up having a split stock.

The split was not visible untill I took it apart to clean it after my initial outing. It explained why it was shooting 10" groups at 100 yds. The action needs to be pretty solidly bedded in a bolt gun. So I used some two part epoxy and wedged the crack open and worked theepoxy into the crack. I then used brass screws to pull the crack togetherand hold it while the epoxy set. I cut the screws off and left them in the stock to reinforce it and prevent the split from growing. The screws were filed down flush with the wood. I also bedded the action and sanded out the barrel channel to take down several high spots that were coming into contact with the barrel. After this work groups were down to about 4-5 inches. I added some cork under the barrel near the last two inches of the barrel chanel to put some up pressure on the barrel. Groups now are in the 2-3" range with surplus ammo, and with Brown Bear match ammo and soft points I've managed a 1.65 inch group. Which is not bad for a 42 y/o with glasses and open sights.

http://i46.tinypic.com/ab5j6r.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/2640u4k.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/34eui6o.jpg

They are fun and affoardable guns to tinker with. I've got a 1925 that I haven't touched as far as tinkering goes and it shoots as well as my split stock 1943 after the repairs and bedding. The '43 may get truely customized. I'm thinking about having it cut down to 20" having the front sight reattached and setting it up to still look like a 91/30 but longer than the M44 or M38. Maybe put a scout scope on it.

The 1925 will remain pure.

therewolf 06-05-2012 08:50 PM

Unfortunately,

surplus ammo would also explain this less than laudable accuracy.

Some Prvi Partizan or S&B ammo will give much tighter groups,

if you have decent rifling.

SSGN_Doc 06-05-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf (Post 826125)
Unfortunately,

surplus ammo would also explain this less than laudable accuracy.

Some Prvi Partizan or S&B ammo will give much tighter groups,

if you have decent rifling.

Tried S&B it was just about as accurate as the Brown Bear, My guess on the accuracy is about the bullet diameter. The Brown Bear bullets had a .312 diameter bullet, while the S&B was closer to .311. The rifling on my '43 was pretty rough, so I think the tighter bullets may have helped. The surplus bullets were .310.

therewolf 06-06-2012 08:51 PM

IDK why, but i seem to spend a disproportionate amount of

time enjoying my Mosins.

There are a couple good books out for the M/N, and a good website.

Do a thread search, and try 762x54R.net.

glockaholic 06-07-2012 02:49 AM

Well I broke down my Nagant and unfortunately the middle is cracked!! I realized it when i was about to refinish the furniture. These rifles are notorious for this from what I've researched But I'm in the process of repairing it. It's a 1942 izhevsk.

glockaholic 06-07-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf
IDK why, but i seem to spend a disproportionate amount of

time enjoying my Mosins.

There are a couple good books out for the M/N, and a good website.

Do a thread search, and try 762x54R.net.

Thanks for the website it's awesome.

therewolf 06-07-2012 08:49 PM

For the true Mosin "nut" there's a great book by Terry Lapin, IIRC,

and, of course, Col. Gebhardt's translation of the Russian MOD

M/N user's manual.

Capybara 06-08-2012 02:22 AM

You give me hope, I think I could do the same repair, I have not taken mine apart yet, but I think that this is quite common to have a cracked stock. How are you going to refinish it or are you going to refinish it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 825974)
I'm not much of one for customizing the Mosin as most would think of it. I have tinkered with one that I bought that ened up having a split stock.

The split was not visible untill I took it apart to clean it after my initial outing. It explained why it was shooting 10" groups at 100 yds. The action needs to be pretty solidly bedded in a bolt gun. So I used some two part epoxy and wedged the crack open and worked theepoxy into the crack. I then used brass screws to pull the crack togetherand hold it while the epoxy set. I cut the screws off and left them in the stock to reinforce it and prevent the split from growing. The screws were filed down flush with the wood. I also bedded the action and sanded out the barrel channel to take down several high spots that were coming into contact with the barrel. After this work groups were down to about 4-5 inches. I added some cork under the barrel near the last two inches of the barrel chanel to put some up pressure on the barrel. Groups now are in the 2-3" range with surplus ammo, and with Brown Bear match ammo and soft points I've managed a 1.65 inch group. Which is not bad for a 42 y/o with glasses and open sights.

http://i46.tinypic.com/ab5j6r.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/2640u4k.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/34eui6o.jpg

They are fun and affoardable guns to tinker with. I've got a 1925 that I haven't touched as far as tinkering goes and it shoots as well as my split stock 1943 after the repairs and bedding. The '43 may get truely customized. I'm thinking about having it cut down to 20" having the front sight reattached and setting it up to still look like a 91/30 but longer than the M44 or M38. Maybe put a scout scope on it.

The 1925 will remain pure.



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:50 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.