Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > mosin-nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 113 Posts

I got most of the cosmoline out of the wood and aside from a few dings the wood looks good. Mines a 91/30 and I'm not sure on the manufacturing company.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #92

Name:  ForumRunner_20120921_152632.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  25.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120921_152618.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  22.4 KB

Rifle is cleaned and put back together. Just waiting to find a range to shoot it

Old 09-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #93

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752
I just got my crate of ammo for my Mosin Nagant. I tried pushing a round down into the magazine and it won't go. It appears there is a spring loaded metal bar in the way. I do not have stripper clips which may push that aside. I then put a round in the chamber and it slid all the way in easily. The bolt won't close at all. It pushes forward but will not rotate down to the locked position. When I open the bolt, the round falls out in most cases or with a little tap.
I cleaned the crap out of it when I got it and put an ATI stock on it. Is it just not clean enough?
It sounds like you have a headspace problem with the bolt not closeing the magazine well I dont know what that problem is

Old 09-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #94

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752 View Post
I just got my crate of ammo for my Mosin Nagant. I tried pushing a round down into the magazine and it won't go. It appears there is a spring loaded metal bar in the way. I do not have stripper clips which may push that aside. I then put a round in the chamber and it slid all the way in easily. The bolt won't close at all. It pushes forward but will not rotate down to the locked position. When I open the bolt, the round falls out in most cases or with a little tap.
I cleaned the crap out of it when I got it and put an ATI stock on it. Is it just not clean enough?
Open the trap door used to empty the magazine - the problem should fall out.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 09-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #95

Liked 983 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 244

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752 View Post

Most probably not clean enough. However, if you are certain that it is clean, and are still having the problem, I would take it to a gun smith and have him check the head-space. Something that should not cost over 1/2 hour of labor... I have cleaned up and shot over 40 of these rifles and have not have one fail to function after being cleaned properly. Some folks report head-space issues, but I have my doubts that that is a frequent problem. After building 20,000,000 of these rifles, and rebuilding most of them several times, the Russians and Soviets had it down pretty good.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Last edited by Chainfire; 09-21-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #96

Liked 53 Times on 42 Posts

I figured out one problem. The leaf spring that must be pushed out of the way to put the rounds in does not appear to have enough space in the polymer stock to move out of the way. If I take the receiver out of the stock, the shells go right in. So now my file and dremmel have been working on it with no success.
I cleaned out the chamber again with a nylon brush and patches. It was a little dirty still but nothing huge. I tried the bolt again and it will close now with a bit of muscle but nothing I have to struggle with. I'll clean it a few more times before I take it to the range.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #97

Liked 983 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 244

posted in error

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Last edited by Chainfire; 09-22-2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Replied in wrong place

Old 09-22-2012, 04:54 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752
I figured out one problem. The leaf spring that must be pushed out of the way to put the rounds in does not appear to have enough space in the polymer stock to move out of the way. If I take the receiver out of the stock, the shells go right in. So now my file and dremmel have been working on it with no success.
I cleaned out the chamber again with a nylon brush and patches. It was a little dirty still but nothing huge. I tried the bolt again and it will close now with a bit of muscle but nothing I have to struggle with. I'll clean it a few more times before I take it to the range.
I've had the problem with the bullets not fitting. Some ammo was made for machine guns or some lots just have bad rounds. I've shot the ammo and never had a problem but it's only happened a few times. I normally get the "silver tipped" ammo now and haven't had issues with any if it.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #99

Well this is pissing me off. I spent all the money on the rifle and all the time cleaning it just to have every range within 30 miles tell me I can't shoot it

Old 09-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #100

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 41

As posted on another forum.

These are idiosyncrasies of the Russian built Mosin Nagant as seen through the eyes of a 64 year old novice with 55 years of shooting experience.
Baring the shooter, there are 4 basic reasons why the accuracy has been criticized extensively. 1) ammo: It would rot the bore in a matter of days if not properly maintained. The only other thing consistent about milsurp ammo is that it is not at all consistent. Different manufacturers of ammo have various degrees of consistency. 2) Bore: These guns were built by anyone that walked by the factory regardless of their ability. They were made to shoot in the general direction of POA. They were made with the speed and in the numbers that would rival Bic lighters. 3) Bedding: The stocks were made from differing types and qualities of wood and would fit the barrel and action loosely or tight, warped or straight. 4)Trigger; Some are OK at best some have the trigger pull of a caulking gun with the cap on the tube.

After all this being said, Most can be made into fine shooting rifles if these things are addressed. It may be as simple as putting felt in the barrel channel, polishing the trigger group mating surfaces, torqueing the action screws or maybe just thorough cleaning.

Many people can’t understand the allure of The Mosin Nagant. Many people buy them because of their price. Many buy them for their historic contribution. Many buy them as an introduction to firearms. Unless you are a gun snob, once you own a Mosin all those reasons become apparent.

You can’t buy a Mosin and expect it to be an accurate rife without addressing some of the basic things that effect the way it shoots. When I bought my first 91/30, I never heard of them. I didn’t know what to look for. As it turned out it was counter bored, the bore looks like a sewer pipe, and had a crack in the laminated stock. I took it directly to the range. That was a very discerning experience. I was afraid I would never get the bolt opened again, sore hand, paper plate sized group at 25 yards I then knew I was ripped off for a $99 wall hanger, after extensive research and cleaning we (The Mosin and I with a new found respect) went back to the range. This time it was at least fun. It now is my most accurate 91/30. I have 5 others that have strong, shiny bores that admittedly haven’t got the attention necessary to be all they can be. I have also neglected my other more modern rifles since I’ve been getting to know The Mosin Nagant. If you aren’t a gun snob, get one, you won’t be sorry. As a matter of fact, get 4 or 5 and save yourself some trips to the gun shop and background checks!

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill

vincent Likes This