Mosin nagant - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 01:18 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9164 Times on 3957 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

If you purchase a rifle from an FFL (only legal way to do it if outside your home state) you CAN mail it to yourself- by US Mail. There is no transfer of ownership since you already own the rifle. Mailing a rifle or shotgun IS permitted under Federal law AND postal regs. (Chapter 14, Domestic Mail Manual, Restricted Mailings) HANDGUNS cannot be mailed except by an 01 Dealer or Manufacturer. Be SURE rifle is unloaded. You can also ship by UPS Ground.

If you are resident of CA, you may not buy firearm in any other state- CA law.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:49 AM   #12

c3,
Do you know if a handgun can be shipped via UPS by a regular citizen or is shipping a handgun via UPS only allowed by an 01 dealer?
cottontop

Old 08-07-2012, 03:07 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
c3,
Do you know if a handgun can be shipped via UPS by a regular citizen or is shipping a handgun via UPS only allowed by an 01 dealer?
cottontop
per C3:
Quote:
HANDGUNS cannot be mailed except by an 01 Dealer or Manufacturer
you can only mail a handgun, as i understand it, by common carrier such as UPS Fedex insured overnight to a ffl holder for repair or service and they can mail it back to you.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #14

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

From the ATF website, but as stated don't know if NY has added to this:

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]
Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
If you purchase a rifle from an FFL (only legal way to do it if outside your home state) you CAN mail it to yourself- by US Mail. There is no transfer of ownership since you already own the rifle. Mailing a rifle or shotgun IS permitted under Federal law AND postal regs. (Chapter 14, Domestic Mail Manual, Restricted Mailings) HANDGUNS cannot be mailed except by an 01 Dealer or Manufacturer. Be SURE rifle is unloaded. You can also ship by UPS Ground.

If you are resident of CA, you may not buy firearm in any other state- CA law.
A Ca resident can buy a firearm out of state but has to shipped to FFL in Ca for transfer.
ca

"I only like shooting my Mini when i am alone or with somebody" 51

Old 08-08-2012, 02:35 AM   #16

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I lucked out and found a mosin nagant at a local pawn shop today. Bolt is nice and smooth, going to get it cleaned up this weekend.

PSA/SA&A build AR15
Ruger 10/22

Old 08-08-2012, 02:48 AM   #17

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grichardt
I lucked out and found a mosin nagant at a local pawn shop today. Bolt is nice and smooth, going to get it cleaned up this weekend.
Very nice! I love mine, cheap and fun to shoot plus it has history to it.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #18

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm ready to get it cleaned up to shoot this weekend!

PSA/SA&A build AR15
Ruger 10/22

Old 08-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #19

Liked 187 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 107

I looled on the ups website and they said that they do not ship firearms long guns or handguns...i think im just going to go up to maine and make a road trip out of it with my girlfriend....seems like a win win to me no risk of violating federal law plus we get to have time away together. Thanks for all the advice and knowledge thats why i love this forum!!!

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Old 08-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

If u get a mosin nagant from 1891 to 1895 u could being with and u could always order one from gunbroker to ur close gunshop watch out for the type 53 and I say get a fin m29 model best of mosins