Mosin Nagant - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin Nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8948 Times on 3874 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

As said, is a rimmed cartridge (like a 30-30) not rimfire. Power is between .308 and 30-06. Most will shoot minute-of-whitetail at 200 yards.

Many states do not permit use of FMJ (full metal jacket) ammo when hunting- issue is not surplus, but wounding an animal that dies later. Get some good softpoint ammo for hunting.

As far as buying for investment- hell, if I knew that, would I tell you? We all have lousy fortune teller skills. But buying one becasue they are cheap and fun to shoot- hell yeah!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 07-07-2012 at 01:26 AM.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #12

Liked 2215 Times on 1301 Posts
Likes Given: 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNARG View Post
"most surplus ammo is not allowed for hunting in most states. "

I wasn't aware of that thanks for the info doc
As C3shooter clarified, it is not an issue of it being surplus but the fact that surplus 7.62x54R ammo uses full metal jackets. In most states FMJ ammo is not allowed for hunting, so commercial FMJ wouldn't be allowed either. You won't find surplus soft point ammo.

And I'm not trying to discourage you from buying a Mosin Nagant. They are fun guns to shoot, and you can do it on a budget. I just didn't want you to make plans on a dedicated hunting rifle out of one of these.

If hunting is THE primary goal I would recommend saving and buying something that you would have a greater chance of buying and getting predictable performance and easier optics mounting out of. Usually you would have a beter chance of getting something lighter, shorter, and a smoother action along with a better trigger too. There are also other surplus rifles out there that make better hunting rifles, like Mausers. I wouldn't buy one in military form and change it, but would look for one that was already chopped up by someone else. No need to ruin another collectible rifle, when there are abundant other rifles that have already had collector value removed. I've got a nice 7x57mm Mauser that is a pleasure to shoot and is already sporterized. Of course, I can't buy a 440 round spam can of ammo for under $100 for the Mauser.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 07-05-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #13

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 106

So from what I am understanding the mosin can only shoot surplus ammo, or is it that its hard to find hunting grade ammo in the caliber that the mosin fires

Old 07-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #14

"As far as buying for investment- hell, if I knew that, would I tell you?"

I guess in good time we will find out if I have a piece of invaluable Ruski hardware or just ANOTHER piece of junk that I'm going to have to try to get off my hands lol

Old 07-07-2012, 01:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNARG View Post
So from what I am understanding the mosin can only shoot surplus ammo, or is it that its hard to find hunting grade ammo in the caliber that the mosin fires
It's just that there is a pretty limited selection of hunting ammo. Brown bear, prvi partisan, sellor & Bellot are the only ones I know of. The hunting ammo is usually not as much of a bargain either.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:32 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8948 Times on 3874 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

No one has said that a Moisin-Nagant HAS to shoot military surplus ammo. There are several makers of the civilian soft point hunting ammo- including Winchester. See link- http://www.nextag.com/7__62-54-ammo/stores-html

And while the hunting ammo is not dirt cheap, it IS comparable to other .30 cal hunting ammo in price.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #17

Another question is what makes the hex receiver so much different I've heard that if you see a mosin with one you gotta pick it up right away is it because they are more rare or more reliable or what?

Old 07-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #18

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I hated my first Mosin after the its debut at the range. After researching it on this forum I learned how to overcome most of the bad points. I now shoot it and next 5 I bought more than my more contemporary rifles. I started with an 8 MOA group. With a little educational tinkering it now shoots 2-3 MOA. Not a tack driver but part of that is more than likely me and part is the inconsistancy of the very affordable milsurp ammo. If you buy one and decide you don't like it you shouldn't have any problem finding someone to take it off your hands. Before you buy do some research on what to look for. I suggest Aim surplus to buy from. I have been pleased with the Mosins I bought from them.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #19

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNARG
Another question is what makes the hex receiver so much different I've heard that if you see a mosin with one you gotta pick it up right away is it because they are more rare or more reliable or what?
Most hex are pre war so they did not cut corners building them all around most think they are better guns don't quote me on this I herd if u want to convert them properly to a sniper version u want a hex one for the scope mounting

Old 07-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #20

Here's some pics ofd differences between a wartime receiver (round 1943) and a prewar hex receiver. You can definitely see that the Russians were cranking them out for function as fast as they could when the Nazis were on their door step.

1925 hex markings. Also note the machining is much smoother. This is made in the same factory as the 1943 in these pictures. Big differences in the details. Also, the bolt operates much smoother on the '25 even when I get it hot with laquer coated ammo which some people have tried to convince me will melt when it's hot and stick the bolt shut (Haven't experienced it myself with hot Mosins though after I've scrobbed the chambers completely free of cosmoline.)

Markings on a "peak of war time" 1943:

The '43 is out of the stock, because it was not properly fitted and the stock began to split resulting in 8-10 inch groups at 100 yds. After repairing, pinning, and bedding the action to the stock, groups are down to 2" with Brown Bear "Match" loads.

The Winchester Brass cased commercial ammo shoots pretty well to, but it is just rebranded Sellor & Bellot, which you can usually buy for a couple bucks less per box under the original Czech brand name. (The Winchester box says it's made in Czech Republic, and the ammo shoots the same).